Does MGD PROBING Hurt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NADESeattle
    My dry eye symptoms were similar to yours. Your post inspired and helped me make the decision to see Dr. ****** in Tampa. Dr. ****** treated me in April and May this year. He changed my life. You can find my post titled "From Despair to Triumph" here.

Thank you!
    You made my day! That is what this blog is all about - helping people through information and proven technology!

Comment

Does anyone know if MG probing is available in Europe. I am in Ireland however the UK would be within easy access. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by khmedia View Post
        Does anyone know if MG probing is available in Europe. I am in Ireland however the UK would be within easy access. Thanks!
        I'm sure there are others but in the UK David O'Brart in London does it. http://www.davidobrart.co.uk/blepharitis.html. I saw him but didn't have MG probing as he didn't think I was a suitable candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by lizlou29 View Post
          I'm sure there are others but in the UK David O'Brart in London does it. http://www.davidobrart.co.uk/blepharitis.html. I saw him but didn't have MG probing as he didn't think I was a suitable candidate.
          Hi Lizlou...why weren't you a candidate?

Comment

Originally posted by Max52 View Post
            Hi Lizlou...why weren't you a candidate?
            He said he could express the oils when applying pressure, the oil is just of bad quality so I need to work on that. He prescribed Azithtomycin for 10 days and told me to use tea tree oil facewash and shampoo. He asked me to email him with how I was getting on but didn't respond to email. My appointment was really short especially as i was paying a lot of £. I know others have had great treatment from him and he lectures at conferences etc so I assume he was having an off day!

Comment

Interesting! My ophthalmologist was able to express meibum from my glands, they were poor quality. However, he still performed MG Probing and we heard that "gritty" sound as the probes pushed through hardened scar tissue. Afterwards, "more" oil was able to be expressed.

The problem with MG Probing are the lack of results after a probing session. In my case "partial blinking" prevents the eyelids from pumping meibum out.

Comment

He asked me to email him with how I was getting on but didn't respond to email.
                I've seen him before, and find they never reply to emails, but if you phone his team, they are very good about getting back to you.

Comment

post removed - wrong thread

Comment

Thanks Liz. I will keep David O'Brart in mind. Thank you.

Comment

Hey,

Where in Canada did you get the probing done? I'm Toronto and so far I can only find one place in Ontario that does it.(Dr. Calotti in Brandford). Thanks!

Originally posted by spmcc View Post
                      Max,

I had probing three times. The first time was in Canada, but only one eye's upper lid was done (it was a first for the doctor, no anesthesia at all). Then I went to ****** twice in 2011. ****** also injected steroids into the MGs. Keep in mind a couple of things: my lids are uber-sensitive (rosacea), and altho I have a high pain tolerance, my eyes and nose were streaming because of the discomfort/pain. I felt (also heard) popping and grittiness (as DCRdryeye mentioned) in each gland (~25 per lid). But if you read others' posts, they seemed to tolerate it well (e.g., search DEZ using the term "******"). It's really an individual thing. You could ask for a "test run" of a few glands before you decide to go for all of them.

We certainly try everything to help our eyes...

All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotta View Post
                        Hey,

Where in Canada did you get the probing done? I'm Toronto and so far I can only find one place in Ontario that does it.(Dr. Calotti in Brandford). Thanks!
                        Have you seen Dr calotti for probing?

Comment

Originally posted by xpro View Post

Have you seen Dr calotti for probing?

No, I ended going to see Dr Maharaj in Brampton @ Eye labs. He seems to be one of the more knowledgeable doctors concerning dry eye/MGD around Toronto. He has equipment to measure precisely/diagnose the level of my MGD/dry eye that I haven't seen at other offices. I'm currently exhausting other options before we try probing ( autologous serum eye drops ). He has mentioned there has been trouble getting the probes shipped to canada in the last year or so which is a possible reason why there aren't many doctors performing it around here.

Comment

Working...
                          X