Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probing experience

Hi there,

Had MG probing done yesterday in Paris (France) with Dr Doan. Worst experience of my life, seriously... The doc didn't wait long enough for the anesthetic to work, and it was unbearable. I don't know if some of my glands are scarred but the doc was talking with a colleague and I heard him saying there was blood... I'm so afraid now. Regarding symptoms, nothing worse than before but nothing better either.

The doc said the upper MG's were really clogged, some are almost atrophied, especially in the nasal area. But what is really surprising is my lower glands are working just fine and are not or just a little clogged... TBUT is 5 apparently, so very low, and didn't change since June (that's surprising too because in June I was in much more pain than now).

So that's my experience with probing. Won't EVER do it again, even if I'm paid for it.

I just wanted to share this with patients who had the intervention done because I'm wondering how long I should wait before seeing improvements?

Originally posted by dominorose View Post
    Hi there,

Had MG probing done yesterday in Paris (France) with Dr Doan. Worst experience of my life, seriously... The doc didn't wait long enough for the anesthetic to work, and it was unbearable. I don't know if some of my glands are scarred but the doc was talking with a colleague and I heard him saying there was blood... I'm so afraid now. Regarding symptoms, nothing worse than before but nothing better either.

The doc said the upper MG's were really clogged, some are almost atrophied, especially in the nasal area. But what is really surprising is my lower glands are working just fine and are not or just a little clogged... TBUT is 5 apparently, so very low, and didn't change since June (that's surprising too because in June I was in much more pain than now).

So that's my experience with probing. Won't EVER do it again, even if I'm paid for it.

I just wanted to share this with patients who had the intervention done because I'm wondering how long I should wait before seeing improvements?
    I felt the highest improvement at the 2-3 month mark

Comment

i dont think its necessarily unusual or a sign that something went wrong simply because there was blood. I believe Dr. ****** says that can happen.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your experience with the Probing dominorose. I had it done 4 years ago and the anaesthetic injections were painful...he used two anaesthetic injections on each inner eyelid (so 4 on each eye) and then that was followed by an anti-inflammatory injection. Firstly, I couldn't feel the probing at all, but then a "few" of them had me almost flying off my seat and I tried to remain as still as possible...not easy!! But what made me feel it did a lot of good is whilst this excellent ophthalmologist was 'carefully' probing we both could hear a "grizzling" noise and we new it was pushing through scar tissue. So I needed it done. Later, it was confirmed through Meibomian expression that the oil was flowing a lot better. Yes there was some bleeding, but I would definitely do it again.

Here are a few pictures of my eyes after the Probing. What? The "Insert image" feature didn't work on this. If anyone knows specifically how it works please let me know.

Comment

I couldnt hear anything the doc put relaxing music on ) I just don't get why it was so painful for me. I know my eyes are sensitive but not that much... The anesthetic was just an eye gel (really burnt my eyes btw)

Comment

I couldnt hear anything the doc put relaxing music on ) I just don't get why it was so painful for me. I know my eyes are sensitive but not that much... The anesthetic was just an eye gel (really burnt my eyes btw)
            Mine was pretty much the same experience. It felt as if the pain killer had no affect at all.

Comment

Was it painful for you too?

Comment

Was it painful for you too?
                Yes but I was happy to feel them getting open.

Comment

I had more or less the same experience. The anaesthetic didn't do much to relieve the pain.
                  But since the pain is probably caused by the needle cutting through fibrous tissue blocking the glands, I don't think it's necessarily a bad sign.
                  Still hurts like hell though... =p

And to answer your question, I only had improvement of clinical signs, but not subjective symptoms.
                  My glands went from clogged to open but no change in dryness/pain whatsoever.
                  But I would still do it again tomorrow if my glands are plugged again (which hasn't been the case ever since, fortunately).

Comment

Santaklauz you are lucky they didn't clog again, that's great! What is your current treatment?

Comment

Just a quick question: Rebecca told me some patients were having more pain after ****** using topical NSAIDS for example. I'm on cyclosporine and my eyes are a mess for 3 days now...should I stop using it for a while?

Comment

I have been on doxycycline since some time before the probing and so far it did a really good job at keeping the meibum clear and fluid. But once again, no improvement of symptoms...
                        I'd rather not use antibiotics for such a long period of time, but everytime I got off doxy for some reason, meibum expression quickly deteriorated.

I'm also on restasis and some form of IPL but I don't think that has helped much.

The greatest improvement I've had ever since my eyes went so dry, came from stress reduction, meditation etc... Both in fysical pain as in mental well being.
                        Links between stress and inflammation are numerous and it's quite a hot topic in research nowadays because of the popularity of mindfulness.

How can you be sure that it is the cyclosporine? Do you experience that pain upon instillation?
                        I would be reluctant to stop using it because normally the effects of cyclosporine are very long term and stopping for some time can perhaps destroy the effect of months of usage...?
                        Or perhaps it doesn't, I don't know. Does it help for you?

Comment

Dominorose,

I was wondering what else you tried before deciding to do the probing. Did you try manual gland expression or lipiflow? Did you have a Meibography done first?

Comment

Yes I had a meibography. Didn't tried Lipiflow no. Tried cyclosporine and manual expression, but that's all...

Comment

I am not sure about stopping cyclosporine yet. It helped me innthe past, but since the procedure it seems to make my eyes burn even more... I will see.

Had a good night sleep this night and feel a little better today, I think sleep deprivation could be the culprit here. Will see... Went on a party on friday night and drank 3 cocktails, the day after was horrible

Comment

Working...
                              X