No announcement yet.

Probing experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had IPL, and it brought my TBUT from 3 seconds to 8 seconds. Still not enough to be comfortable. The doctor who did the IPL treatment said that if you don't have tear deficiency there is a good chance IPL will help, but with a lack of tears as well, the results may not be as successful. (...and in my case, he was right.)

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel2 View Post
      Yep, does anyone know if there's a safer alternative with the same benefits as probing but without those risks, maybe a IPL treatment could be similar to it? I dont know.
      Lipiflow would be the alternative. IPL doesnt remove the thickened oil unless your doctor does an expression after. Lipiflow attempts to gently remove the oil after its been heated. Unfortunately its still not covered by insurance so its pretty expensive.

Comment

Daniel, after IPL, the doctor expressed my glands, which is routine procedure. IPL super heats the glands so that thickened oil becomes viscous. It does get rid of build-up, but if you have underlying problems (like tear deficiency) which continue to cause inflammation, the glands can again become blocked. You are supposed to go back for a maintenance visit once a year, which I did not. I now have plugs, and would actually consider having this done again.

http://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/di...ronic-dry-eye/

Comment

Originally posted by MGD30 View Post
          Lipiflow would be the alternative. IPL doesnt remove the thickened oil unless your doctor does an expression after. Lipiflow attempts to gently remove the oil after its been heated. Unfortunately its still not covered by insurance so its pretty expensive.
          Yeah I actually had Lipiflow done with gland expression afterwards, it really didn't do much to be honest. It's funny because my optholmologist kept telling me that glands were opening, which I don't doubt it's true, but I felt actually gradually worse each time, it made no sense and was was pretty dissapointing considering the huge price I invested in it..

Originally posted by LaDiva View Post
          Daniel, after IPL, the doctor expressed my glands, which is routine procedure. IPL super heats the glands so that thickened oil becomes viscous. It does get rid of build-up, but if you have underlying problems (like tear deficiency) which continue to cause inflammation, the glands can again become blocked. You are supposed to go back for a maintenance visit once a year, which I did not. I now have plugs, and would actually consider having this done again.

http://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/di...ronic-dry-eye/
          I dont really know much about this but would gland expression be 'probing'?
          I remember doing Lipiflow and afterwards he did these expression with some sort of metal tool pinching each gland which hurt like crazy so i dont know if its the same thing.

My optholmologist also has been telling me to do these new "Mibiflow" which I suppose is cheaper and similar to IPL, it heats the glands externally unlike internally like lipiflow. I don't really know how is that really much more effective than a heat compress though but I guess I'll try to gather money to pay it up since I'm just desperate to find any relief at this point.

Comment

Sorry you are having so much trouble Daniel, and I certainly understand how you feel. My IPL doctor expressed the glands using his fingers. There is a video on the link I posted above which shows the entire procedure, and the Mayo Clinic doctor used Qtips to express the glands. Expression is where there is pressure put on the glands to release oil, so it is not the same as probing. Sending good wishes, and if you try Meibiflow, please let us know if it works for you.

Comment

I see LaDiva, thanks for clearing it up. I don't know now if I even want to do Mibiflow if he's going to probe afterwards..
              I'll talk to him about it and see what's the best solution.
              But yeah, If I try it I'd definately update you guys on how it was.

Comment

I have had manual expression of MG and probing of upper and lower lids with Dr ****** and it didn't help one little bit. It was painful and I don't think it caused any harm but it certainly didn't benefit me at all. It has been 10 months since the probing.

Comment

Hi there,

An update on my situation: I had my appointment for sclerals yesterday. These are Blanchard's sclerals and I've read the fit was not highly customizable. I am afraid because it was really unpleasant to wear them, I could really feel the edges on the left and right sides pulling on my sclera. It helps with dryness but i feel like I'm replacing a discomfort for another one

I am in France and they only offer this brand of lenses. I have an appointment in a month to try the pair the doc ordered for my eyes, but in case it doesn't change anything I want to be prepared. Do you know any good docs in Europe offering more customizable sclerals please?
                  Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X