Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BTW, a note about acronyms (MGD, IPL, RCE, etc... ;-)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTW, a note about acronyms (MGD, IPL, RCE, etc... ;-)

Hi all,

Just a quick request in order to help make the board as user-friendly as possible for newbies. Not everyone is far enough along on the journey to speak our special 'language'. I think that it would be helpful to take an extra 10 seconds or so to spell things out - or for the BB savvy, providing a link to it in the encyclopedia - now and then. I know that's too cumbersome to do all the time (and I'm sure I would be too impatient to do so myself) but perhaps just having a little increased awareness of this, noticing whether an acronym in a thread on a particular topic has ever been explained and if not maybe providing a link or spelling it out (especially if there isn't a link to post).

For those who would like to be able to make a link like this to an Encyclopedia page but don't know how, here's how it works:

Let's say you're in the middle of making a post. Now:

1) Open a separate browser window and navigate to the page you want to link to.
    2) Copy that hyperlink to the clipboard.
    3) Go back to the original browser window where you're making your post. Type the word or phrase you want to contain a hyperlink (like I typed "make a link like this" above). SELECT it with the mouse.
    4) Look up just above the text box. About the middle of the second row of icons is the blue & green ball with a chain link on it. Click on it.
    5) Delete the text that appears and then paste your link into it.
    6) Click OK and you're done.

For those who would be more than happy to link to definition pages this way but... the one you want is horribly inadequate or outdated and you're too polite to say so, don't be squeamish. Send me an email with a link to the page so I can bump it up the priority list for an update.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Thank you from those of us who are not the veteran users on this site, and thus find the acronyms at times to be a bit challenging.

Comment

Working...
    X