This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperate for Help

I have suffered from severe dry eye for the last 4-5 years. In November, 2009 I had cataract surgery on both eyes. Since then, I have had unbelievable difficult keeping my eyes lids open after 2:00 in the afternoon (particularly right eye), difficulty focusing, squinting and severe headaches. I have been on Restasis for the past 4 weeks. I recently stopped using it because I was having extremely unpleasant side effects. I have bouts of uncontrollable facial spasms. The preasure in my forehead from squinting and trying to use one eye only to focus is giving me really bad headaches. Not getting better. I have a good doctor, but he's treating me for dry eye only, and I suspect there may be more involved. Nothing helps for long, and then things get worse. Can you suggest anything to me?

I'm so sorry to hear this.

I wonder, is the difficulty keeping eyes open related to photophobia (light sensitivity)? ...Which can be related to dry eye though it's not one of the most common symptoms.

Does it make any difference if you wear sunglasses? have you tried moisture chambers? Onion Goggles are a handy cheap way to test the concept though they don't fit everyone. Or perhaps just a pair of fitovers.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

p.s.

By the way, what causes you to try to focus with one eye only?
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

I do wear sunglasses and they help minimally.

After a few hours, I have real difficulty getting my right eye to stay open which is why I find myself squinting to focus with one eye (the left eye). The only time I find relief is when I'm chewing or laying on my side.

Comment

Can you explain the "moisture chamber" concept to me?

Comment

Don,

I couldn't tell by your post, is your problem due to light sensitivity, or is light sensitivity just part of the problem?

You did say you wear sunglasses, but not how long you wear them for.

I also have problems with light sensitivity. I have found I have a few good hours a day, and the longer I wear sunglasses, the more good hours I will have without them later. It is a little easier for me, since I work at home, so there are no coworkers to ask why I wear sunglasses indoors. I've found sometimes it's best just to wear sunglasses whenever you can - it keeps your eyes rested and better equipped to deal with light if you need to go out to a restaurant or something later in the day.

If you have any influence over the rooms you occupy during the day (aka, don't work in an office building), you might want to move the lights around and experiment with different lighting to find what keeps you comfortable.... never in a million years did I think I'd ever be concerned with "the lighting" in my house, but it has helped me a lot.

Also, sometimes I need to put a drop in and keep my eyes shut for a minute or two. That helps a lot. Also, sometimes I put a drop in, shift my eye, put another drop in, etc. I look right, down, left, and up. It is a huge waste of eyedrops, but it can be a lifeline when nothing else is working.

I have also found that when my eyes are very light sensitive, it is better to wear sunglasses even I have to compensate with brighter lights. I have put 100 watt light bulbs in some places, so that I will be able to read with sunglasses. I actually find this is better than having normal light without sunglasses. When it gets bad, I've found that filtering bright light through sunglasses is better than seeing normal light through the naked eye.

If light sensitivity is your issue, I'd give those a try.

Comment

I found it interesting that you say things are better when you are chewing. Any theories on that? I found that to be the case with me as well when my eyes were at their worst.

Spicy things like horseradish make my eyes water more...

How about spicy gum or something like that...

Just a thought,
              Melissa
              pianolady

Comment

eyes better when chewing/eating

I noticed someone said something about eyes feeling better when chewing. I have told several Drs. that my eyes are always better when I eat. They just look at me funny! It is true. I can be struggling with my dry eyes, eat a meal, and my eyes are better. I finally had a Dr. say it made sense, the connection with chewing and the eyes. Only problem, I can't be eating all the time! This doesn't work with just chewing gum. Not sure why.

Comment

I too have found that chewing helps my bone dry eyes. I do chew gum often but it seems that actual eating seems to prime something. Sad thing is it just doesnt last long enough to bring the much needed relief.

Comment

Do you have sjogrens? Wondering if the connection could be that, with the chewing, which stimulates the salivary glands? Just wondering? As far as keeping your eyes open when my eyes are at their worse, I sometimes have to force my eyes open, I've experienced the pain around my eyes too I have the muscle spasm, I feel as though my eyes are so tired, and my lids close on their own, sometimes I think that it takes so much strength to open them and that causes the problems, also one of my eyes is usually more closed than the other.

Comment

I have been d/x with Sjogrens which the severe dry eyes was the first clue.
                      Evoxac helps some but not enough.

Comment

Its not the chewing ...

Originally posted by faithfully View Post
                        I too have found that chewing helps my bone dry eyes. I do chew gum often but it seems that actual eating seems to prime something. Sad thing is it just doesnt last long enough to bring the much needed relief.
                        its the salivating. some of us, like myself, tear more when we salivate. the nerves are connected.

alligators don't salivate. their tears are their saliva. its thought we have a vestigial version of this ...

Comment

Working...
                        X