This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• logging in- a Kafka experience

I have found more than once in trying to post a reply, after I've already logged on and after I've written the message I am re-directed to anothr log in page. I dutifully log in again and as often as not I am then directed to a page stating I do not have authorization etc. and unhappily I have lost the body of the reply. Of late I cc/paste the reply before I hit 'submit' and then go on a loop- sometimes back to the post, where I hit submit and off to the login page. Often after the login it goes to the 'not authorized' page. if I've thought ahead and cc'd the message, eventually I can get it posted. Sometimes, doing the very same thing, it comes back to my reply post and I am successful. As for as I can tell there's no particular rhyme or reason.

Meanwhile in the upper RH corner it says "welcome, froniga" as if all the time I'm already logged in. any advice. am I doing something wrong? anyone else have this happen?

The site administrator can help you fix the problem. Ask Rebecca Petris who to email to solve the issue. I had a similar difficulty when I joined. "Welcome, [your name]" means you're logged in already--if you don't "log out" the site doesn't log out for you (I think that's the way it works).
    C66

Comment

Hi Froniga,

Sorry about the login problems. - If when you log in the "remember me" box is checked, it always automatically logs you in. It should not again ask for your login. The only exception I'm aware of is when you enter an area where special permissions are required. For example when I go into the Admin section it makes me type in my password even though I'm already logged in. However that should never happen to registered users in the regular forums.

Can you provide any more specifics - forum(s) where this was occurring, what exactly happened (for example did you first click 'reply' or did you click 'quote') etc. We'll try and troubleshoot and will get back to you. The email for technical problems is webmaster@dryeyezone.com but it is preferable for people to post questions here first where possible just in case there are others out there with the same issue or question.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

take 3

1. the "remember me" box is checked. but it often doesn't seem to remember.
        2. when I post a reply as now, "welcome, froniga" is displayed, but very often when I click "submit reply" button I am taken to a page to re-enter my information, and then one of three things happen.
        a) I go back to page where I have the reply and again hit submit button and then am sent back to 2 above and have to re-register sometimes looping again and again.
        b) after re-registering I am taken to a page stating I am not authorized etc.
        and unless I've saved my post I lose it.
        c) I am sent back to the reply and can submit.

I have posted on the welcome page, here on technical and the open forum. In both cases I can run into the same looping problem some of the time and some of the time I was able to post the reply, on first try or second try etc. Often the only way through is to use my browser to get me back to an earlier page where I try again.

You can look up all the places I have posted and verify the forums and see if any are considered forbidden, but I don't think they are, furthermore I may have posted there before and got through and then on another occasion get a forbidden message, so i suspect a glitch in the system.

OK, just now, logged in but taken to register again and then taken to this message:
        Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster
        I got back here by using my browser GO dropdown menu. I'll try to post replay again, I am logged in per upper RH corner message.

same thing on take 2! this is frustrating! I will again cc. message and go back to an empty reply box, paste it and try once more.

the above was pasted in after going back to an empty box.

Comment

Hello froniga,
          There seems to be a “time-out” problem for some people that can lead to the dreaded “logged-in-NOT-logged-in” Twilight Zone. This used to happen regularly to me when I had a dial-up connection, rarely now that I use high-speed.
          The AOL browser is not very compatible with the software used in the bulletin board. I don't know which one you are using, but when I had dial-up I used AOL. Switching to another browser [Netscape, Firefox] helped somewhat. Switching to high-speed and using Firefox pretty much solved all the problems for me.
          If you continue to have the problem, you can compose your entire post first in your favorite word processing program, using code from this handy list that The Almighty has prepared for users:
          http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/misc.php?do=bbcode
          You can insert hyperlinks, put other members’ posts in quotes, etc, etc, and you can do this all off the board. When you post into threads you can copy and paste from your word processing program into a thread and it will only take a short amount of time and hopefully, will avoid the "time-out."
          I hope this helps,
          Scout

Comment

Thanks Scout! yes I have dial-op. I use netscape as browser on my MAC. I'm composing this message as an email, as it's easier and will copy and paste and see if that does the trick. I hope if I go quickly I can add a smiley face or other feature. If this works, I'll try to post this way, as this site has become a lifeline and I get a lot of help from other users.

froniga.

Comment

it works! hooray!

Hey Scout,
              Your suggestion really works! Now I just write an email message. I can even use spellcheck. Then I cut and paste and can get my message in easily. Thanks so much.

Comment

Working...
              X