Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble logging in for the first time?

When you first register on Dry Eye TALK, you should receive an email confirmation. You MUST click on the link in that email to confirm your registration - this is to prevent someone from registering in your name with your email address. You will not be able to log in and post until you have clicked on the link in the email that you receive.

If you do NOT receive an email confirmation, or if you receive it and click on the link but STILL can't log in, please let us know right away so we can check for technical problems on our end and fix things so that you can log in. Contact webmaster@dryeyezone.com or rebecca@dryeyezone.com, or telephone 1-813-236-4346.

Regards,
    Last edited by Rebecca Petris; 06-Apr-2005, 09:39.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

I'm "popping" this thread to the top because we have had quite a few users apparently attempt to register but never respond to the confirmation email. NEW USERS: Please expect that confirmation email and remember that your email settings may cause it to go into your spam/junkmail folder.

If you do not receive a confirmation email, please check your folders carefully and then if it's not there please contact us. Many new users are not familiar with bulletin boards so this can be a little confusing, and we want to help if we can!

Thanks.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Rebecca,
      I constantly have problems when I am trying to post on this website. Whether I am starting a new thread, responding to one or trying to reply to a private message...my writing just disappears! When I've sent replies back I've had people tell me that nothing is sent to them except for their original message.
      I manage the situation myself by copying my original message and then waiting to see if my message goes through. If it doesn't, rather than re-writing it all over again, I simply back track and then copy and paste my message into the block all over again (I hope this makes sense). Sometimes I have to do that several times before my writing will post.
      Anyway, I know it's a convulated way of making things happen, but I'd rather do that than NOT be on this website and get the help and support I have always gotten from all of you!
      PS..It happens in both "submit reply" and "preview post"

Comment

I'm really sorry to hear that. What do you get when you press Submit or Preview? Do you get an error screen? (Happens to me when my connection is wobbly.) Or...? What's the next thing that shows up?

What browser and version are you on? (See, I know enough to ask the question, but I couldn't begin to interpet the answer!) I may have to call in the Almighty. Then again he is (naturally) a Mac user
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Usually I'll get nothing...just a blank screen...that's how I know it didn't go through.
          Okay, I am completely computer illiterate, so in answer to your question I can only say I use AOL....an updated version, but I'm not sure what year.Does that help?

PS..Did you get my reply to your private message on Monday?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle
            Usually I'll get nothing...just a blank screen...that's how I know it didn't go through.
            Okay, I am completely computer illiterate, so in answer to your question I can only say I use AOL....an updated version, but I'm not sure what year.Does that help?
            Kyle,
            I had very similar problems when I was still using a dial-up modem and AOL. In discussions with Mr. Almighty, it was clear that using AOL as the browser was causing most of the problems. Can you use another browser to access the bulletin board? When I logged onto the Internet through the AOL dial-up, I would open my Netscape browser and post on the board using Netscape. There are free versions of Netscape and Firefox (for both PC and Mac) that you can download and use even as you are logged onto the Internet through your AOL dial-up. Just open the browser and type in the url for this bulletin board after you log on through your AOL account. I hope this helps.
            Scout

I may have to call in the Almighty. Then again he is (naturally) a Mac user
            Rebecca . . . but of course, aren't all the enlightened ones Mac users?

Scout
            (One of the enlightened ones)
            Last edited by Scout; 14-Sep-2005, 19:43. Reason: enlightened ones sometimes can't spell ;-)

Comment

The enlightened ones truly are the Mac users. I learned on a Mac and was a Mac lover forced kicking and screaming into a PC world. Tragic. I can't even believe the Almighty will even mingle in any way with us PC degenerates.
              Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

The Almighty descends

Now, now -- The Almighty has complete sympathy for those who, for whatever reason, do not have access to a Mac. He would dearly love to be of more help with the problems you folks are experiencing. Unfortunately, as I have previously stated, omniscience isn't sufficient to understand the myriad of mysteries that is Windows.

The Almighty will reiterate what Scout mentioned: AOL's browser can be problematic in a number of areas, and this forum is one of them. If you are having problems on DryEyeTalk via AOL (not all do), one solution would be to find another means of accessing the Internet. Can you use a friend's computer? Or school computer? Library computer? Lunchtime or after hours at work?

If you must find a solution on your own computer, and you are open to the idea of installing a stand-alone browser, The Almighty suggests you try Firefox first. The process is really quite easy, even for mere mortals. Here's what you do:

(1) Go to the Firefox home page.

(2) In the upper-right, there should be a green box: Click on "Free Download."

(3) When it's down downloading, double-click the file called "Firefox Setup 1.0.6.exe"

(4) Follow the on-screen instructions.

That's all there is to it. If for some reason you want to avoid Firefox, you can try Opera or Netscape.

Again, The Almighty apologizes for His lack of helpfulness, and encourages any and all contributions to the Technical Support forum. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                X