Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having trouble creating an avatar? The Almighty can help!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having trouble creating an avatar? The Almighty can help!

I was reminded today that many (most?) computer users aren't sufficiently geeky enough to know how to prepare and upload an avatar (personal picture) to their DryEyeTalk account. So I thought I would spell out the process, and offer my own humble services to those who don't consider pocket protectors to be a desirable fashion accessory.

An avatar is the little picture that appears next to the name in a post -- for instance, the blue-and-green eyeball you see next to "DEZadmin" at the top of this post. Some people use a picture of themselves; some use a cute graphic. Whatever you decide to use, you must first reduce it to an appropriate size. We have set the size limit at 80x80 pixels, and 20k file size. So one way or another, that full-screen picture of you standing on your head drinking mai tais in a grass skirt has to be shrunk down.

The process for reducing a picture is not easily described, since it depends on the tool and operating system you use. If you would like to post instructions in this thread (layman's terms, please), feel free to do so. Alternatively, you may send your picture to The Almighty, and He will re-size the photo for you and send it back. Then you can follow the instructions below to upload it to DryEyeTalk.

Once you have that graphic file prepared, move it to "My Documents" or "My Pictures" or some other place where you can easily find it. Next, here's how you add it to your user account:
    1. If you aren't logged into DryEyeTalk, do so now.
    2. Click on "User Settings & Profile" (In the horizontal blue bar below the big blue drop).
    3. On the left, under "Control Panel," click on "Edit Avatar."
    4. Under "Custom Avatar," click the "Choose file" button.
    5. You will now be asked to locate that graphic file you prepared (in "My Documents," for instance). Select it, and click "Choose."

That's it! Your avatar will now appear in all of your posts (past and future). Note that obscene or otherwise inappropriate images will be deleted without warning (unless The Almighty thinks it's really hilarious! )
Working...
X