This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logging Out

I'm having trouble logging out. It always says "there was an error ....... click here." I do that and usually it says all cookies cleared. Yada Yada Yada and I'm off. But today its not clearing. It looks like it trying to but its not.

Gogo
    GOGO

Gogo,

Very sorry for the late response... I saw this, and then forgot all about it.

I had that problem myself at one teim. I don't recall now whether it was this bulletin board or another one, but it was this same software (VBulletin). It got "stuck" and I couldn't log out at all. I honestly can't remember how or whether it got resolved. I don't ever log out now, I just close the application. I'll check with the webmaster and see if I can refresh my memory.... Meantime please let us know if you're still seeing this problem.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Me, too, sort of --

I've never been able to just "log out" either here or on D'Eyealogues (the bulletin board for LaserMyEye). Like Gogo, I always have to do an extra step of getting an "error occurred" message and then "Click here" to complete the task, after which my "cookies" get cleared. (After which I have to consider whether to get an extra hit of Oreos from the kitchen, since I grew up in an era where "cookies" had only one meaning ).

I'm using Windows 98 on a PC, and have never understood why I can't just simply log out.

On the other hand, no, once I go through that extra step I've never experienced a total inability to log out.

Dear Almighty (aka webmaster) -- thank you for all your blessings up to now, and please do not smite me or Gogo as complainers. I had a power strip failure this morning and I thought I couldn't get on the internet at all today , and I was hyperventilating until I found another and got re-connected.

Comment

I had a power strip failure this morning and I thought I couldn't get on the internet at all today , and I was hyperventilating until I found another and got re-connected.
        Oh, Mary, I just had to laugh at that one. Amazing how dependant we've become isn't it? Or is it an addiction? Everything has to be an addiction these days. Well, we know the cookies are addicting...........
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Whoops!

The Almighty apologizes for not giving attention to this thread. He has been a bit preoccupied . . .

I'll drop the 3rd-person nonsense long enough to say that I will check with vBulletin's tech support regarding the logout problems. Thanks for your patience.

In the meantime, I'd like to point out that it isn't ever necessary to log out, unless another person using your computer also has an account on DryEyeTalk. It's much easier to simply close the browser when you're done -- the next time you visit DryEyeTalk, you will be still be logged in. That's the way I do it; that way I don't have to type in my username and password every time.

If you have a reason for logging out, I'd love to hear it . . .

Comment

Why I choose to "log out" from Dry Eye Talk

Dear Almighty,

Oh, this thread brought a trip down memory lane! My very first computer at work was an Apple II E, so I bought one for my home. Then they got phased out as my workplace upgraded us to Macs, so I upgraded at home as well. But a new tech czar took over and declared PCs as the "standard issue," so I (reluctantly) found it easier to purchase a similar machine for my home .

And yes, I'm on a PC and using AOL from home, in case that's relevant to why I have to work through an error message to finally log out.

As to why I prefer to log out -- a very interesting question . . . intuitively, IF I'm just in a reading mood over here, it feels better to be an anonymous "guest." I generally read here every day, but I don't post that often. I know that I have to log on to post, but I don't mind doing that at all because I feel as though once I've decided to make a post, I've chosen to become visible. On the other hand, I do sometimes smile to see the visible names of those who might be online around the time that I am, whether or not they are posting that day. This feels like a privacy issue to me -- as though I'm at a party where I prefer not to be noticed if I'm not in the mood to join a conversation. It's not necessarily logical, but that's why I do it!

mary (the temporarily visible woman, who will be logging out soon )

p.s. I did discover one disadvantage to my "guest" strategy this weekend -- someone sent me a really nice Private Message (thank you, Holly!),
            but I didn't read it until I actually logged in several days later. Bummer!

Comment

Originally posted by mary kenny badami
              p.s. I did discover one disadvantage to my "guest" strategy this weekend -- someone sent me a really nice Private Message (thank you, Holly!),
              but I didn't read it until I actually logged in several days later. Bummer!
              Actually, you can opt to be sent an email whenever you receive a private message, so as to be sure you don't miss messages.

Here's how:

1. Go to User Settings & Profile
              2. Click "Edit Options" at the left
              3. Scroll down to "Private Messaging" and check the box that says "Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages".
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

How cool was that!
                I changed my profile as you suggested,
                then sent myself a Private Message,
                and pretty soon I got an e-mail at my e-mail account that a message was waiting here,
                and then I was directed back here, where I read my message,
                and finally I sent myself a notice of receipt, which I noted in my inbox.

Nice to know that even if I choose to stay invisible, I'll not be out of touch with Private Messaging.
                Thank you Rebecca, for the helpful hint!

Comment

Working...
                X