This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Depression caused by dry eyes Please read

Hi everyone. My name is Tiera and Im writing another post for some words of advice. My story starts with me being diagnosed with Bipolar back in 2010. Since then I havent really held down a job well really I had the same job but I wasnt able to work so I was put out on job disability. Im on 25 this happened when I was 23. Well around August of this year I started getting the symptons of dry eyes. It first started from just tearing the extreme light sensitivity then vision changes. Now I have floaters in my eyes and even had some eye flashes. Ive been to about 7 eye doctors in the past 5 months. Checking for retina tears and signs of detachment which all cleared out thank God. Ive tried restasis, castor oil, plugs, over the counter drops etc. I have some improvement. I can cry again and I can watch tv without constant tears streaming down my face. I still have strong light sensitivity, floaters, and cant look at a computer screen more than 5 minutes without my eyes being bothered. This has really CHANGEDmy life. I feel like a prisioner in my own home. I cant go out during the day because the Sun kills my eyes and I cant go out even during the mid day like when the sun goes down and the sky is grey thats the worst. Its like my eyes feel as if there not open all the way. Weird. I was suppose to restart college but my eyes are so dry I couldnt sit in a class and concentrate due to the discomfort. I feel so bad seeing others my age living their life and Im home all day sleep or watching tv. I wear glasses so im not sure should I get tinted glasses or what for my photophobia. Im soooo depressed because Im scared this is going to be my life for the rest of my days I really wanna finish school and get a real job again but Im not even sure thats possible. I was thinking of seeing do I qualify for prose lens but my insurance which is medicaid may not cover it. Any went through and over came these obstacles or going through this now or just wanna talk please respond. Thanks

Hi Tiera:

Trust me your life is not over. There are many on this forum who have overcome and got their life back. It does take time as you figure out through the process of elimination what does and does not work for you.

I got a pair of prescription Wiley X glasses with very dark lenses that have made it possible for me to spend time outside. They are not great for reading due to the curve of the glass but you could get regular dark prescription glasses for reading on the computer and indoors. At times I wear dark glasses over my dark glasses if the light is really bright. I get those fit-overs from the supermarket or drugstore and put them over my regular prescription sun glasses if for example I have to drive in the morning or early evening when the light is really in my eyes.

I recommend that you turn your computer screen light down as low as possible if you haven't already done so and somewhere on this forum is a link to a program that changes the color of your computer screen and you can adjust it to suit your needs. I have it on one of my computers but not on this one so am not sure what it is called but you can ask Rebecca if you can't find it, I am sure she would know.

I understand that prose lenses are not the first line of defense for dry eye but rather are more of a last resort thing which makes sense esp given the costs. I think that those costs are coming down as they become more mainstream with improved materials but I wouldn't be in too great a rush to get them until I had exhausted all other options. There are many drops that people are recommending on this forum which I have not tried but keep searching there is a TON of good information here from many who have had successes.

I am assuming that you are medicated for your depression. It is possible that those drugs are causing, at least in part, your problem. Perhaps changing meds might help.

Above all don't give up trying, I assure you, you will improve. I have improved about 80% in the year since I first discovered this forum and am still finding that there are more things I need to try. Hang in there, I know that you too can come to a place of comfort. You may never be exactly as you were before you started but you will get to a place of comfort. I wish you well...cheers...F/G
    Last edited by farmgirl; 16-Dec-2012, 09:13. Reason: Took out info that I found may be dubious

Comment

Originally posted by farmgirl View Post
      Hi Tiera:

Trust me your life is not over. There are many on this forum who have overcome and got their life back. It does take time as you figure out through the process of elimination what does and does not work for you.

I got a pair of prescription Wiley X glasses with very dark lenses that have made it possible for me to spend time outside. They are not great for reading due to the curve of the glass but you could get regular dark prescription glasses for reading on the computer and indoors. At times I wear dark glasses over my dark glasses if the light is really bright. I get those fit-overs from the supermarket or drugstore and put them over my regular prescription sun glasses if for example I have to drive in the morning or early evening when the light is really in my eyes.

I recommend that you turn your computer screen light down as low as possible if you haven't already done so and somewhere on this forum is a link to a program that changes the color of your computer screen and you can adjust it to suit your needs. I have it on one of my computers but not on this one so am not sure what it is called but you can ask Rebecca if you can't find it, I am sure she would know.

I understand that prose lenses are not the first line of defense for dry eye but rather are more of a last resort thing which makes sense esp given the costs. I think that those costs are coming down as they become more mainstream with improved materials but I wouldn't be in too great a rush to get them until I had exhausted all other options. There are many drops that people are recommending on this forum which I have not tried but keep searching there is a TON of good information here from many who have had successes.

I am assuming that you are medicated for your depression. It is possible that those drugs are causing, at least in part, your problem. Perhaps changing meds might help.

Above all don't give up trying, I assure you, you will improve. I have improved about 80% in the year since I first discovered this forum and am still finding that there are more things I need to try. Hang in there, I know that you too can come to a place of comfort. You may never be exactly as you were before you started but you will get to a place of comfort. I wish you well...cheers...F/G
      Thanks farmgirl. I needed that. I was thinking about getting some new tinted glasses in January. I really want to go back to school in May now since January isnt an option. Im praying it improves. How long have you had dry eyes? And what are your symptoms?

Comment

My dry eye is caused by Sjogren's syndrome which I read will never resolve. I am not so sure and am currently attempting to mitigate that. Had you asked this question a year ago the answer would have been vastly different. A year ago I had extreme light sensitivity, extreme dryness, damaged spots on my corneas, constant bloodshot eyes and constant soreness particularly at night with burning and gritty feeling esp when using the computer. I was putting drops in every 20 min or so particularly at night, not so much because they felt dry but more for the fact that it would relieve the burning for about that length of time - symptom control I guess you could call it.

Since then I have (after trying temporary plugs) had the upper ducts cauterized, the lowers plugged, been on serum eye drops, am taking PRN omega oils 2x per day and wear oniyx goggles at night. That combined with restasis plus the very dark Wiley X goggles to block the wind and the sun it has all added up to where right now I put serum drops (50%) in 2-3x daily, regular non preserved drops maybe 2x per day plus the restasis at noon and bedtime and I have very little gritty, burning sensation plus my eyes can tolerate much more light. I have not had visible damage to the cornea since starting on the serum drops and my eyes are minimally bloodshot. I am by no means 'cured' but I am probably 80% improved over last year...life is good...cheers...F/G

Comment

Working...
        X