This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I have used both products and he Avenova is a much better product. The Ocusoft irritated my eyes after about a week using it so I went back to the Avenova, which my Doctor sells out of his office. I use it in the morning and before bed and my dry eye and blepharitius is forever gone!!! Thank you Avenova!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• MGD1701
    replied
    Originally posted by Max View Post

I'm using up my Avenova and then I'll give the OcCusoft a try and report back. The Avenova is very expensive and hard for me to buy from my doctor's office and you can't take a prescription to a pharmacy so since the tests were 0% problematic I am willing to try it and see how it goes. I costs a lot less and I can order it from Amazon .....
    ------------------------------
    Hi Max
    Hope your eyes are better now.
    Just curious if you are happy with OcuSoft HypoChlor with HOCI?
    Do you know if it contains sodium hypochlorite?

I just found out two more items, for your info.

Lid and Lash Cleanser by Heyedrate, Proprietary, pure Hypochlorous Acid (0.015%)
    ilast Hydraclean Gel (with 0.2% Hyaluronic Acid)

According to Dr Paul M. Karpecki, OD, Jan. 2016 https://www.reviewofoptometry.com/ar...dry-eye-deluge
    ''iLast containing retinol palmitate & appears to be able to prevent keratin formation, which may play a role in meibomian gland obstruction.
    The use of hypochlorous acid has also been advantageous for patients suffering from Staphylococcal blepharitis''

Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• grant555
    replied
    i do have particularly sensitive eyes so i wouldnt be surprised if someone else does not have the same reaction. I'm just giving you my experience. i would give it a shot once and see what happens

Leave a comment:

• Max
    replied
    Originally posted by savino View Post
    I There is also another user on Avenova testimonials who had a bad reaction to a OTC 0.02% hypochlorous acid product. Guess which one.
    I haven't a clue. You sound snarky but I could only throw out a wild guess and say Rebecca Petris?

I'm using up my Avenova and then I'll give the OcCusoft a try and report back. The Avenova is very expensive and hard for me to buy from my doctor's office and you can't take a prescription to a pharmacy so since the tests were 0% problematic I am willing to try it and see how it goes. I costs a lot less and I can order it from Amazon and get in two days if it works instead of fighting with my doctor's office personnel who never know what I'm talking about and have even told my contact lens provider that my doctor never provides prescriptions for contact lenses when I am renewing my order for the fifth time. . Everything is a battle; they even take a week to call in a regular prescription so if I can simplify this with no physical problem, it's a win win for me.

Leave a comment:

• Max
    replied
    What do you expect they probably tested it on people who don't have skin irritations and product allergies.
    The Draize Test is an acute toxicity test devised in 1944 by Food and Drug Administration (FDA) toxicologists John H. Draize and Jacob M. Spines. Initially used for testing cosmetics, the procedure involves applying 0.5mL or 0.5g of a test substance to the eye or skin of a restrained, conscious animal, and then leaving it for set amount of time before rinsing it out and recording its effects.

The animals are observed for up to 14 days for signs of erythema and edema in the skin test, and redness, swelling, discharge, ulceration, hemorrhaging, cloudiness, or blindness in the tested eye. The test subject is commonly an albino rabbit, though other species are used too, including dogs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draize_test

Leave a comment:

• savino
    replied
    Last edited by savino; 02-Sep-2016, 03:51.

Leave a comment:

• savino
    replied
    Last edited by savino; 02-Sep-2016, 03:51.

Leave a comment:

• Max
    replied
    Originally posted by grant555 View Post
    ive tried both and the OcuSoft irritates the hell out of my eyes but the Avenova does not FWIW
    Response from OCusoft to your post plus added info:

Unfortunately, we do not who posted this so I can’t speak to their motivations.

I can tell you that our product did score a “0” (the best possible score) on the eye irritation test (Draize).

Courtney Ahrens
    OCuSOFT, Inc

Leave a comment:

• Max
    replied
    That is valuable information for me. I have had no problems with Avenova and purchased OCuSoft HOCL. But this is one case and I so wish there was more discussion from other members who have tried the OCuSoft.

I just rec'd this email from OCuSoft which provides more information about the Lid Scrub Platinum which also claims to kill demodex mite whichs we all have but the numbers increase when people have MGD as well as with age - demodex mites live in our pores and it is "suspected" that Ocular Rosacea. is a result of a reaction to their excrement. Jolly stuff. but my dry eye doctor assures me it is very relevant and not kook science. The Rosacea creme I was prescribed does claim to kill these mites but it's having little no effect on facial Rosacea - "perhaps" helping with the repeated Blepheritis but early to tell. I am now looking into IPL treatments for Rosacea which surprisingly seem to be covered by medical insurance.

Anyway, I digress, here is this gentleman's newest response to my questions, I'm posting this with permission:

"I read some of the posts at the Dry Eye Zone and it sounds like people are a little confused.

Only the HypoChlor has Hypochlorous acid in it.

The Lid Scrub Platinum has Polyaminopropyl Biguanide which is a unique low level preservative which is what gives the Platinum anti-bacterial properties.

The platinum also uses phytosphingosine which has anti-inflammatory properties.

The FDA requires Hypochlorous acid be registered as a medical device and as such may be marketed either as a prescription (Rx) or an Over-the-Counter (OTC) product based upon intended claims. We chose to market ours as OTC to make it more convenient and cost effective for the consumer.

Luis Garza
    Inside Sales Trainer

OCuSOFT, Inc."

Leave a comment:

• grant555
    replied
    ive tried both and the OcuSoft irritates the hell out of my eyes but the Avenova does not FWIW

Leave a comment:

• Max
    replied
    Hypochlorous acid is a preservative, I've used about 3 products with different concentrations of HA and was allergic to all of them.
    Luckily I'm not having any problems with the Avenova and have been using it daily for about 2 months now.

Leave a comment:

• savino
    replied
    Last edited by savino; 02-Sep-2016, 03:52.

Leave a comment:

• Max
    replied
    Side Note: My eyesight is definitely diminishing. Example: I open the refrigerator and for the life of me I can't find obvious things like a container of milk. I think I'm working on memory more and more. I'm wondering if these constant Blepheritis insfections, the swollen red and scaby lids, plus all the efforts invested to lubricate my eyes are taking a toll not only emotionally, but on my already low vision. However no eye doctor will say anything about it - as if maybe they don't want to "frighten" me. I feel as if I'm not getting all the information I could.

Sometimes people ask each other, "if you change one thing in your life what would it be?" Without hesitation I would say DON'T GET LASIK SURGERY. Yet it's becoming overwhelming popular and every eye doctor I see for the dry eye and Bleph also does LASIK or their practice focues on LASIK. It's a kind of conflict of interest. I feel as if I'm on my own fight this thing.

I've started using the Style'n Clean device from Denmark as part of my cleaning ritual. I can't see well enough to get to the lid margins so my husband does it. I have been using the Avenova on the damp, warmed cleaning pads and was surprised when there was a bit of yellow on the pad after the cleaning? My eyes go thru so much cleaning and warm packs, I don't know if the "yellow" is debris I had been missing or some chemical respone to th Lacriserts I wear overnight or the Restaine MGD (which milky white). I wear no eye makeup. Most of the time hub and eye are just riding the seat of our pants.

Leave a comment:

• Max
    replied
    I am ultra sentitive and can't use anything with preservatives. In a moment of weakness when buying the
    OCuSoft Lid Scrub Plus PLATINUM at the same time I was buying the OCuSOFT HypoChlor. I think it's desperation at this point. Jeez I hope I'm not going to start an allergic reaction. I can't use any antibiotic or tubed lubricant - nothing with preservatives.

Since the HOCL is listed as a "preservative" in the Avenova, I guess I "assumed" no other preservatives would be necessary and OCcusoft noted above that the 0.02% HICL is in both products.

As I said above, I would love it if Rebecca chimed in, read their response, and made a comment. She's been a lifesaver for me over the years.
    Last edited by Max; 23-Jan-2016, 08:59. Reason: Added HOCL being a "preservative" in all the products and another mention of hopiing Rebecca Petris which at least comment.

Leave a comment:

• savino
    replied
    Last edited by savino; 02-Sep-2016, 03:52.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X