Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

oral azithromycin success for mgd or ocular rosacea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oral azithromycin success for mgd or ocular rosacea?

Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone had found relief with treatment using oral azithromycin for mgd or occular rosacea?

I saw this article http://m.bjo.bmj.com/content/early/2...ol-2014-305410

And was wondering if people had any info on using it like in what doses and how often? I have also read that it is good for occular rosacea as well. I tried doxycycline for over 3 months so I am hoping to try this. I did try topical azithromycin which initially gave me success but then my eyes got worse.

I would appreciate any info or advice! Thanks guys!

Hello and welcome to a fellow Scot!

I was prescribed oral Azithromycin for MGD a little over a year ago. The dose I was given was 1gram three times a week, for five weeks. (To be clear - a total of 3 grams per week - pulse dosed, so I took 1g Mon, 1g Weds, 1g Fri, and repeated this for five weeks).

It definitely cleared my oil glands - I saw clear flowing oil by the end of the course. However, my eyes were still sore as I had unresolved ocular surface disease and aqueous deficiency. And my oil glands just clogged up again after I'd finished the azithromycin, due, I presume, to the continued inflammation.

I have facial rosacea, but have never seen a dermatologist. I don't have any obvious food triggers, unlike some others on the forum.

I'm interested that you're seeing an ophthalmolgist privately in Edinburgh. I currently travel to London for treatment as I've not been able to find anyone decent locally. Happy to talk names by PM

Comment

Working...
    X