replied
    Thanks for all this info - here's the article link - sounds promising

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...eye-sight.html

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• carann
    replied
    Rhoto Drops

There is an article in today's online Daily Mail in the Health Section under the heading "Exotic fruit leaves sufferers without a dry-eye in sight" which makes interesting reading. The drops will be going on sale in Pharmacies from Saturday.

Leave a comment:

• stella
    replied
    I make it part of my daily routine -- before bed
    I wonder were you trying to go too deep
    I just press on the eyelid margin between finger and thumb-- the thumb goes on the inside and finger outside Start near your nose and press along the lid moving towards the ear

Leave a comment:

• irish eyes
    replied
    Stella

I had a go doing that - in the way you describe - but I didn't manage it at all.

Out of interest, how often do you do this i.e. once a week /month?

Leave a comment:

• stella
    replied
    Why not do your own ?
    It is,nt rocket science ---
    After heating and massage I go along each lid pressing the lid between my finger and thumb (make sure your hands are really well washed and your finger nails short) It takes about 10 seconds each lid
    You have to press on either side of the lid so you need to pull it slightly off the eyeball
    The beauty of doing your own is you can use as little or as much pressure as you like and can do it daily as i do

I took to doing this after i developed a cyst (chalazion) in one of my glands
    I knew a cyst is filled with fluid so i used pressure to express the oil out.I also used antibiotic ointment and it was gone in a week
    I have done this pressure thing ever since I suppose I wanted to prevent any further cysts from developing but it also keeps the tiny ducts from blocking

Leave a comment:

• kkahthesea
    replied
    Hi all....

Back to the "in the doctors office" meibomian gland expression part of this discussion...

I do home compresses regularly. But I have some clogging in my glands that I think would benifit from a good expressing by a doctor in the manner you describe.

My problem is that I can't find a doctor who does this. I want one who does this fairly regularly and has lots of experience....using the paddle type device on the back of the eyelid while pressing hard.

How can I find a doctor who does this? I live in the northern Virginia area....and I'm willing to travel a reasonable distance.

Thanks,
    Karen

Leave a comment:

• carann
    replied
    New Eye Drops

Dry-eyes.co.uk are advertising ROHTO eye drops for sale. There are dry eye singles (20 x 0.4) which contain no preservatives and dry eye bottles (10 ml) which do contain the preservative Benzalkonium Chloride. The key lubricants are 0.2 Hyaluronic Acid and Tamarind Seed Polysaccaride. It states that the bottle cannot be used with contact lenses but the vials can.

Leave a comment:

• irish eyes
    replied
    A consultant expressed my meibomium glands several years ago and then confidently announced that I could take an active role in my own eye health care by doing this myself.

(Back then, there weren't any pictures or diagrams around to show how it was done - so it was all guess work on my part when I got home).

Had I been shown how to do this properly, I think my eyes would be in better shape now.

It would be so helpful if consultants could stand over their patients to check that they know what these glands even look like and how they might perform this `procedure' on themselves. It's tricky and you have to have reasonable dexterity.

And a magnifying mirror of course.

Leave a comment:

• eva b
    replied
    Originally posted by mylittlem View Post
    Eva,

My question to you is off of the topic you write about, but I am very interested in your statement...."My wonderful optometrist, who regularly expresses my MGs..." Would you be kind enough to PM me so that we could have a dialogue on the procedure. How is this different from you yourself doing warm compresses and the lid scrubs and massage? Is it essentially the same process only done by a professional? Am I missing something?

Thanks, MylittleM
    I'll post my reply here because others may find it interesting...

when he expresses my MGs he does it using his big magnifying lens machine, and basically presses with his fingers against a little blunt spatula like instrument to really squeeze the glands from inside the edge of the lid. He really presses quite hard (it can be fairly painful, but definitely worth the relief)- I don't think you could do it yourself, because of the engles involved and not being able to see what you're doing properly.

Obviously I can't actually see what he's doing, but it feels like it would if you were squeezing blackheads (sorry for the graphic description)

Apparently, it's not something many optometrists do...or eye doctors, for that matter.

If you want any more info, ask away.

Leave a comment:

• eva b
    replied
    Originally posted by Shell View Post
    Hi there I'm in the UK too - Liverpool. Could you tell me which Optometrist gave you the ROHTO drops and whether he will have them available to sell? If so, could you confirm they're single vial, preservative-free? Oh..and do you know the exact name of the drops? When I searched ROHTO drops on the net I saw loads (US sites) and they had benzal.... chloride in them... Thanks, Shell
    My optometrist is in London, so not much use toyou...

the company that markets the drops in the UK is called The Mentholatum Co, tel 01355 848484 (in Scotland) I called them to ask what percentage of HA the drops contain and it is 0.2%.

All it says on the package is Rohto dry eye relief with HydraMed, and yes, they are single vial pres.-free. They also come ina bottle - maybe those have the preservative in them.

hope this helps,
    eva

Leave a comment:

• Shell
    replied
    Hi A question

Hi there I'm in the UK too - Liverpool. Could you tell me which Optometrist gave you the ROHTO drops and whether he will have them available to sell? If so, could you confirm they're single vial, preservative-free? Oh..and do you know the exact name of the drops? When I searched ROHTO drops on the net I saw loads (US sites) and they had benzal.... chloride in them... Thanks, Shell

Leave a comment:

• nopoint
    replied
    OK, so I bought the Rhoto V Ice and just tried it out less than 5 minutes ago.

I put one drop in each eye, immediately I felt a strong sensation in my eyes. Felt like there was peppermint or something in there. Felt kinda good, actually. I noticed my eyes became really red after the drops and so I lied down and blinked for a few seconds. After getting up, I checked my eyes in the mirror again and they were significantly less red than my pre-eye drop state. Most of my sclera became whiter. Some prominent red veins still remain but there's not as many of them. Overall, the drops feel great and are very soothing.

Previous to this, I used TheraTears but I'm going to try these new drops out for a while and see how it goes. From the looks of things, I think I'm going to replace the TheraTears with Rhoto V Ice.

Leave a comment:

• nopoint
    replied
    I've heard very good things about these drops. Which one did you get? I believe Rohto V Ice is the only product in their lineup that is preservative free.

I'm going to go out and buy it later. I'll let you know how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• indrep
    replied
    The right molecular weight and viscosity HA has many qualities that have a positive impact on the ocular surface.

1. Molecular crowding: HA over 500,000 daltons and in concentrations over .1% creates a spongelike matrix holding up to 1000 times its weight in water on the ocular surface. Benefit: Longer duration on the ocular surface, thicker tear film for comfort and better vision, the more water on the ocular surface the lower the osmolarity of the tear film breaking the cycle of inflammation.

2. HA has promotes cell migration. Benefit: Damaged cells on the ocular surface are replced quicker and helps heal the ocualr surface this helps bring about a more stable tear film over the entire ocualr surface.

3. HA has anti-inflammatory and anti infective properties to help create a "quieter" ocular surface.

4. Most people notice an immediate relief and the benefits described above will lead over time to more comfort and fewer drops needed per day.

Leave a comment:

• mylittlem
    replied
    Eva,

My question to you is off of the topic you write about, but I am very interested in your statement...."My wonderful optometrist, who regularly expresses my MGs..." Would you be kind enough to PM me so that we could have a dialogue on the procedure. How is this different from you yourself doing warm compresses and the lid scrubs and massage? Is it essentially the same process only done by a professional? Am I missing something?

Thanks, MylittleM

Leave a comment:

Working...
X