Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just used honey that I bought at the grocery store. It just stings for a few seconds but for me the pain is well worth the gain.

Comment

jimorlik, what gain have you had from the honey so far. Or just hoping for improvement?

Comment

I need Help

Hello-
        My name is veronica. I been having eye problems since May of 2009. Around September 2009 my eye problems got really bad. My job is 100 % computer, we have 5 stations in our department and every station has a mini fan. We have problems with the AC/heather so the fans are always on. Everyone in my department is aware of my problem, but 80% of the time they don't seem to care.

My doctor told me I have chronic dry eyes. I'm 30 yrs old and this has really brought my spirit down. I don't want to go out anymore with my family or friends. All I want to do is stay home and cry. I saw my physician because I think I might be a little depress. However I was embarrass to tell him that my depression was due to my chronic dry eyes. I have so much pain. At times I thought about quitting my job. But I have two beautiful boys that need me. Please help!!!: Are my eyes ever going to get better? I don't know what to do anymore...

Comment

plat...

We already have two people it helped for sure...im sure there are others....not everyone of course. Opened mind please!

Comment

Regina, I am asking what gain this person has had? I want to know how it has helped this person or if they are hoping it will help. I know it has harmed some and helped some - I am greatful and happy for those it has helped. I appreciate all the info on the forum, but don't appreciate similar threads being shut down by the forum because of who knows why. Specifically, Rhads thread. Please let the individual I addressed the question to answer if they are willing. I am not discrediting this thread. But, when others are attacked for similar threads it is unacceptable. We are all her looking for answers and no one trying to help should be be shut out - again like Rhad.

Yes I agree with you - Listen up forum owners - Open mind. Please allow everyone to speak and share what has helped them - including Rhad.
            Last edited by Plat; 28-Apr-2010, 20:06.

Comment

Finally received my manuka honey UMF 15+ from UK. So far so good I knew I responded well to regular honey, so my hopes are high with this one. I use single dose vials of physiological solution for ophthalmological use and just suck in the honey from the jar. I make ca 50%-50% solution. I'm not afraid of using honey since this is an ancient natural remedy and can't possibly hurt more than all these drops. If this is a cure... well, I doubt that. I've had this dry eye struggle for 15 years, since my first year in college, so you can imagine...

Another thing that is really soothing for me is aloe vera gel. And again, as I've googled, it's not just me:
              http://www.dryeyepain.com/Practical3...r.htm#AloeVera
              http://www.pharmcast.com/Patents/011...aloe011100.htm
              etc
              But I haven't found a product that would be safe enough to be put in eyes (no preservatives, fragrances). Should be growing my own aloe vera plants probably.
              Both aloe vera and honey have this PH issue. Acidity of aloe vera products is 3.6 on the PH scale. I don't know if this has any long term adverse impacts or is it just a burning sensation that goes away quickly?
              Last edited by avee; 05-May-2010, 06:17.

Comment

I wonder about the ph thing too... on the one hand, if we had normal eyes and, say, went swimming in a chlorinated pool every day with no goggles, I'm sure the ph isn't ideal, but most people would likely be ok... but with our dry eyes, any irritation is always so much greater... Plus, I wonder how acidic something you put in you eyes can be before it could cause harm...

I haven't gotten around to researching this for myself... maybe someone else here will come along with the answer for us...

Comment

@ avee: aloe vera drops

Hi avee,
                  Over here in Germany you can get artificial tears called VISUSTRIN, which contain aloe vera along with a 0.4 % concentration of hyaloron (not sure about the correct word in English). They come in little vials and are preservative-free. I`ve still got some in my fridge. I could send them to you if you want to give them a try. I quit all artificial tears. Good luck with the honey.
                  Last edited by Britta; 06-May-2010, 01:13. Reason: wrong figure

Comment

On the pH of tears- there is a tiny amount of evidence that gland dysfunction may alter the pH of tears. E.g. see here http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6449875. So, if that were the case, a mildly acidic substance could knock the pH back towards normal.

However, given that there are so many possible causes for the symptoms we experience, I'd hesitate to say that this would be an approach that worked for everyone.
                    Last edited by Musetta; 05-May-2010, 21:01.

Comment

Plat, like I said earlier, I'm not endorsing the use of honey eye drops nor am I telling everyone to rush out and buy honey to use in their eyes.
                      For me it's working great. My eyes have never felt this good in a number of years now. The grittiness feeling in my eyes is much better than it was prior to using the honey and this part is hard to explain, but before using the honey my vision would become cloudy or hazy and when I would put lubricant eye drops in this would help temporarily. Well, with the honey the relief last longer than it did with other eyes drops and so I don't experience the haziness as often as I did. So in saying that I guess you could say that my vision is better.
                      I haven't been to my eye doctor since I started using the honey, but I definitely will post any changes in my eyes after seeing my doctor.

Comment

Danke schön, Britta Look, I think don't send me these drops now. I'm trying this honey thing currently. But I'm most thankful for telling me about them. Aloe is great! I'll remember the name and maybe I can order them online in future if I want to. Thank you, again, It's so heartwarming really.

Comment

for me...

was honey a cure for my dry eyes...no, but what they did in two to three days was reduce the imflamation of my eye lids so that they again secreted oil. Do I still have dry eyes...yes..but the excrusiating pain is gone...I dont want to gouge my eyes out now. Now that oil started flowing...I starting taking doxy and that helps with the redness of my eyes 100 mg twice a day. At home I am totally normal...at a gym or store..about 70...at work at ABOUT 50. it is just too dry and i am on the computer for 24 hours a day. But I come home to happiness now! I still have a dry hour when I wake up...but no drops anymore...no ice or heat bags...im normal except still cant wear makeup...but waaaay better than i was 2 to 3 years ago...I actually have a sparkle in my eyes again...my eyes were dead and red looking for sooo long!

Comment

honey

Regina,
                            Congratulations on the success of the honey. How much do you put on the lids and where exactly do you apply it? If it gets in your eye does it cause any irritation?

I hope it keeps getting better and better.

Comment

hi again

I dont have to use honey anymore actually...once the inflamation went down which took 2 to 3 day at first...and then 4 or 5 times a day...and then frequency went down to just when my lids starting stinging...and now like once a month because I wore makeup or went into a smokey atmosphere...so my lids are working normally...like I said ...I also have sjorgrens so I still have dry eye but the pain is gone! Britta puts them in her eye...i just closed mine and spread it in the eye lashes...it will be okay if a little gets in...it will sting...but it will pass...let dry, wipe off excess...and go on with your day or sleep whatever ....lol

Comment

Well, I've always been a HUGE skeptic about stuff like this, but guess what? I just ordered some sterile Manuka Honey directly from Summer Glow Apiaries in New Zealand... I plan on cautiously experimenting with it...

The price of the honey wasn't too bad actually... it's the shipping that kills it... also got tempted by their honey roasted macadamia nuts... if the honey doesn't help my MG's, then at least I'll be able to enjoy a nice cup of tea (with honey in it of course!) as I munch on my macadamia nuts lol

Comment

Working...
                                X