Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone used Lotemax Gel for eye inflammation? Any experiences with side effects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone used Lotemax Gel for eye inflammation? Any experiences with side effects?

Hi All,

Since Memorial Day Weekend, I’ have experienced a dull ache in my right eye that has persisted for two months. Being ultra vigilant, I’’ve seen a string of Optometrists and stopped wearing contacts for good.

It turns out that I have keratitis on the upper part of my eye causing mild-moderate inflammation. (It is definitely not painful, more of a mild ache I barely feel.) I have been prescribed Lotemax Gel to take twice a day for a week, but I am extremely nervous. I respect my doctor’s opinion, but want to be informed. I read a few scary reviews, which I shouldn’t have done. As a result, I’ve been putting this off for days since I’m worried about horrible, painful side effects that may send me off to the ER.

From what I have read, Lotemax Gel is typically given post surgery and seems to be very effective in fast relief for severe inflammation. Would it be alright if I were to take it for a mild, yet chronic case in only one eye?

Have you taken Lotemax Gel? What was your experience? If you are a healthcare professional, have your patients mainly has good experiences?

Please help if possible. My mind would greatly be put at ease.

Lotemax Gel is considered one of the safest steriods, however it is still a steriod. Steriods are used to control inflammation. BID (twice a day) is a pretty low dosage. But of course, any steriods should not be used long term.

Comment

A week is a very short period of time I would not be afraid to give it a go, it will either help or it won't but he is not asking you to be on it for months.

Comment

Originally posted by Skylex499 View Post
        Hi All,

Since Memorial Day Weekend, I’ have experienced a dull ache in my right eye that has persisted for two months. Being ultra vigilant, I’’ve seen a string of Optometrists and stopped wearing contacts for good.

It turns out that I have keratitis on the upper part of my eye causing mild-moderate inflammation. (It is definitely not painful, more of a mild ache I barely feel.) I have been prescribed Lotemax Gel to take twice a day for a week, but I am extremely nervous. I respect my doctor’s opinion, but want to be informed. I read a few scary reviews, which I shouldn’t have done. As a result, I’ve been putting this off for days since I’m worried about horrible, painful side effects that may send me off to the ER.

From what I have read, Lotemax Gel is typically given post surgery and seems to be very effective in fast relief for severe inflammation. Would it be alright if I were to take it for a mild, yet chronic case in only one eye?

Have you taken Lotemax Gel? What was your experience? If you are a healthcare professional, have your patients mainly has good experiences?

Please help if possible. My mind would greatly be put at ease.
        For reference, I've been on Lotemax QID (4 times a day) for 2 months. BID (twice a day) for a week is an extremely low dosage.

Comment

Thank you! Do you experience any burning or pain upon putting it in, or is it the same as OTC drops? I’ve never taken a steroid so I just want to be prepared for any initial unpleasant-ness, if any.

Comment

Thank you! Do you experience any burning or pain upon putting it in, or is it the same as OTC drops? I’ve never taken a steroid so I just want to be prepared for any initial unpleasant-ness, if any.
            Lotemax might sting a little for a few mins, but the side effects are really really small. I think you're overreacting a bit, its good to be aware tho. Lotemax is a very very common and considered one of the best and safest ophthalmic steriods.

Comment

The only issue you cold encounter is with the preservative BAK which can be an irritant but if can be tolerated you should be OK in the short term.

Comment

Thank you so much for your responses. I do suffer from anxiety, which I know is more of a mental thing. I’ve put off using the steroid drops for 2 months, for fear that is taper off too early and it’d come back worse, or I’d get glaucoma/cataracts from being a steroid responder. I get chest pain and can’t sleep from dwelling on all the negatives too much. I even read a story about a woman who didn’t plug her sinuses correctly and had a bad reaction.

With your reassuring though, I genuinely feel much more comfortable. Especially knowing it will probably not be an eighth so bad as I think. So thanks for being patient with me.

I just wish there was some non steroid I could take for super mild, chronic inflammation.

Comment

Originally posted by farmgirl View Post
                  The only issue you cold encounter is with the preservative BAK which can be an irritant but if can be tolerated you should be OK in the short term.
                  There is no BAK in lotemax gel (non-gel version has BAK).

Comment

Thank you so much for your responses. I do suffer from anxiety, which I know is more of a mental thing. I’ve put off using the steroid drops for 2 months, for fear that is taper off too early and it’d come back worse, or I’d get glaucoma/cataracts from being a steroid responder. I get chest pain and can’t sleep from dwelling on all the negatives too much. I even read a story about a woman who didn’t plug her sinuses correctly and had a bad reaction.

With your reassuring though, I genuinely feel much more comfortable. Especially knowing it will probably not be an eighth so bad as I think. So thanks for being patient with me.

I just wish there was some non steroid I could take for super mild, chronic inflammation.
                    I feel like your dr may not be a good dry eye dr. Consider finding yourself a good dry eye dr. Steriods usually wont resolve anything long term, but rather control inflammation in the short term. Long term safe drugs include Xiidra and Restasis. It depends on the cause of ur dry eyes, getting on Xiidra might be a good option for you. You need to find a good dry eye dr.

Comment

Don't overthink it you may be doing more damage the longer the inflammation persists. In your first post you said you had been putting it off for days now you say you have been putting it off for 2 months...there is a difference. Just use the medication and see what happens. You are not going to get rebound or cataracts or glaucoma in a week.

Comment

Thank you all.

I started to take the Lotemax Gel today. I took it 2 hours ago and feel a prolonged dull, pressurized eye pain, like my eye is going to burst out of its socket. Is this a normal feeling? The doctor seems very busy today and I just want to assured.

What is scary is since I’ve taken it once, I guess I need to continue to avoid a “flare up” that comes back even worse. That is my fear.

Comment

Working...
                        X