Lotemax - Long term ok???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lotemax - Long term ok???

I have been on Lotemax twice a day for about a year now and have experienced a lot of success with it. I go for regualr check ups with my eye doc and get pressure checked and all looks good.

Do I need to be overly concerned if I continue to see my doc and plan on staying on the Lotemax? Truly, this is all that has worked for me and made my life (and eyes!) better.

Thoughts?

I think that's a really good question...

and your doctor probably knows your eyes the best. It seems that all docs have a differing opinion on this. One I saw, had me on Lotemax for 30 days and then off for 3 mos, then on again. My eyes were much better the 30 days on it. My current doc refuses to prescribe it for that length of time. She instead recs Alrex (1/2 strength of Lotemax I think) and only wants me to use it 3x a day for 5 days. Then not at all for several weeks. She thinks the risks for cataracts and glaucoma are too great. I think she is far too cautious though. So....who knows. As long as you are getting regular check-ups to make sure your pressure is not changing, you're likely okay.

Comment

Originally posted by alisonW View Post
      and your doctor probably knows your eyes the best. It seems that all docs have a differing opinion on this. One I saw, had me on Lotemax for 30 days and then off for 3 mos, then on again. My eyes were much better the 30 days on it. My current doc refuses to prescribe it for that length of time. She instead recs Alrex (1/2 strength of Lotemax I think) and only wants me to use it 3x a day for 5 days. Then not at all for several weeks. She thinks the risks for cataracts and glaucoma are too great. I think she is far too cautious though. So....who knows. As long as you are getting regular check-ups to make sure your pressure is not changing, you're likely okay.
      Well, my Dr. says my pressure is fine, my eyes look great and my dry eye seems to be under control. But the idea that I am using something every day that could possibly do damage to my eyes freaks me out! You know? What does the oveall consensus on this board seem to be about Lotemax?

Comment

Originally posted by CatB View Post
        Well, my Dr. says my pressure is fine, my eyes look great and my dry eye seems to be under control. But the idea that I am using something every day that could possibly do damage to my eyes freaks me out! You know? What does the oveall consensus on this board seem to be about Lotemax?
        From what I heard it's a steroid with preservatives, so my general comment on that is: the main problems that could arise from chronic use:
        - IOP and glaucoma (pressure to be controlled frequently)
        - cataracts (early signs need to be detected)
        - ocular surface disease/lacrimal disease due to the preservative (toxicity, lacrimal disturbance and intolerances allergies).
        I imagine or hope so, your doc is frequently looking for early signs of all this. IF not ask him

Comment

I totally agree with Z351. You're Dr. should be keeping a very close eye on your pressure, etc. if you are using Lotemax long-term.

Comment

I believe that you are OK as long as you stay ontop of regular checkups- Lotemax is said to be pretty harmless. Once a day might be better if you could manage that!
            Autumnn

Comment

Working...
            X