X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tealeaf
    replied
    Hi ut_longhorn,
    Can I check if your lens are comfortable now and your eyes feel less dry?

Leave a comment:

• DryInDenver
    replied
    Originally posted by ut_longhorn View Post
    thanks L8rgator...

I will keep all that in mind. I really do feel that Dr G will try his best to get the best fit for all his patients. So he didnt send me home with the first pair. Do you know at what stage I'll be able to take a pair home?
    I think Dr. G will let you take a pair home once it gets to a certain quality of fit. I'm in Dallas now and have taken a pair with me each time except for the first pair he made. I think it was just to avoid any discomfort and/or irritation that might result from a fit that isn't good enough. In my case, I think he wanted the vault to be higher. The lenses can set lower through out the day and there needs to be enough vault above the cornea to assure the lens doesn't come in contact with it as it sets.

Leave a comment:

• L8rgator
    replied
    My understanding was that often the first lens is a good candidate, but most patients are flying in i assume so the first lens we're only wearing for a few hours 1 or 2 days and then returning the next day to get the next iteration. Sounds like you are local and going in like weekly? Maybe he wants to get you a lens that is closer to the final one since you'll be wearing it for quite a while between appointments?

Leave a comment:

• ut_longhorn
    replied
    thanks L8rgator...

I will keep all that in mind. I really do feel that Dr G will try his best to get the best fit for all his patients. So he didnt send me home with the first pair. Do you know at what stage I'll be able to take a pair home?

Leave a comment:

• ut_longhorn
    replied
    Irina...I think it's a MGD problem and a slight lack of lacrimal production, but I've not received a straight answer from my previous opthamologists. I'm hoping my trip to Houston with Dr. Pflugfelder will provide me a little more clarity.

Leave a comment:

• L8rgator
    replied
    Sorry i meant thinner - a thinner edge where the lens was rubbing my eyelid. I do not know what different materials he has to work with.

Leave a comment:

• MGD666
    replied
    Originally posted by L8rgator View Post
    But Dr G was able to reduce the width twice until I couldn't feel any catching or scratching. And he tried a couple different materials (ended up with "more wetable") to provide the most relief.
    L8rgator: When you say that he reduced the width, I assume then he made them smaller in diameter? Or do you mean he reduced the thickness? And do you happen to know which particular lens material he ended up using (the more "wettable" one that is)?

Leave a comment:

• MGD666
    replied
    Any idea if Freshkote™ or sodium hyaluronate drops would be okay to use? I am guessing if I get them that I would have to discontinue using Genteal Gel, and certainly Castor and Coconut oil. What about facial moisturizers, or eye creams that may find their way into one's eyes overnight?

Leave a comment:

• L8rgator
    replied
    Also be sure to not use any gel or ointments overnight. These tend to make the lens foggy (I know - I was be reprimanded for it!)

Leave a comment:

• L8rgator
    replied
    Originally posted by ut_longhorn View Post
    so I had my first fitting today. it was a relatively short process. came in and tried on the first pair of lenses. Dr. Gemoules put in the lenses for me. The insertion seemed easy. They seemed to fit relatively well..my right lens rubbed a little on the right side, but didn't feel too bad. My vision was blurry in the lenses but since it's my first pair, I'm sure it'll get better as he continues new iterations. he checked my vision then we went to the machine that checked the fit. He scanned both eyes again and showed me the fit. He thought it fit relatively well but could use some adjustments. He assured me that the next iterations should continue to feel better and to provide better vision. As far as dryness, it didn't feel like instant relief like dry to wet, only because I think I was trying to get used to the feeling, but I'm pretty sure if I kept them in longer, it would help with the feelings of dryness.

I really feel that Dr Gemoules is passionate about providing the best fit for his patients. he is a doctor and an artist because he told me he was trying a special design on me and could try another if this one didn't work out....i don't think anyone else would be able to do something like that.

after i left, the right side of my eye was red in a circular shape where the lens was rubbing or resting, but that was minor. it went away in an hour or so. im sure with the new lenses, that should go away.

i go in again later this week. excited for it.
    Don't be afraid to tell him if you feel parts that are uncomfortable. The trial lenses I had prior to visiting dr G were a bit scratchy on my eyelids, so when my first trial felt the same (but less) I thought that was normal. But Dr G was able to reduce the width twice until I couldn't feel any catching or scratching. And he tried a couple different materials (ended up with "more wetable") to provide the most relief.

If your eyes were like mine, you probably cam in a bit irritated and swollen. So I would suspect the redness may change as your eye gets healthier. Mine took about a week (about the time I got home). I've also started rinsing my eye with sterile saline prior to inserting the lens. That helps brush away any dust or stickyness from being bandages overnight.

Keep your original lenses also. It's nice to take them to your local optomologists. I gave one to my opthomologist at my checkup because he didn't realize how thin and low profile they can be, and he wanted to show it to his colleagues. I hope it helps him feel more comfortable to be able to bring up the scleral conversation with his next dry eye patient.

I'm looking into returning to Dr. G to get my other eye (my healthy eye done), and to try a bigger (newly available) lens for the bad eye (19-20mm) in the hopes that it will cover just a bit more of the sclera. And to see if my prescription needs to be adjusted. Probably in late February. I've also finally found a source for serum auto-whatever drops and look forward to trying that to soothe the uncovered parts of my sclera.

Good Luck!

Leave a comment:

• Irina
    replied
    Hi ut_longhorn,
    What feelings of dryness you have? I'm gathering the information if sclerals will be a good choice for the diminishing of raw feeling in the eye which I have.
    Keep us updates please.

Leave a comment:

• MGD666
    replied
    Nice update, and it's very interesting to hear about the process. Hopefully, with the next pair, you'll be seeing better, and the red circular impression in the one eye can be eliminated once adjustments have been made. It's also good to hear that you confirm the general consensus that Dr. G seems to show a real passion for the work he does with these fittings for people, including experimenting with new designs and larger diameter lenses (I seem to recall you mentioning he was making yours a little larger (19mm) than normal? I am really hoping that once you have the best possible fitting lenses, that they will provide a lot of dry eye relief for you. Thanks for the post; pleased keep us updated.

Leave a comment:

• ut_longhorn
    replied
    so I had my first fitting today. it was a relatively short process. came in and tried on the first pair of lenses. Dr. Gemoules put in the lenses for me. The insertion seemed easy. They seemed to fit relatively well..my right lens rubbed a little on the right side, but didn't feel too bad. My vision was blurry in the lenses but since it's my first pair, I'm sure it'll get better as he continues new iterations. he checked my vision then we went to the machine that checked the fit. He scanned both eyes again and showed me the fit. He thought it fit relatively well but could use some adjustments. He assured me that the next iterations should continue to feel better and to provide better vision. As far as dryness, it didn't feel like instant relief like dry to wet, only because I think I was trying to get used to the feeling, but I'm pretty sure if I kept them in longer, it would help with the feelings of dryness.

I really feel that Dr Gemoules is passionate about providing the best fit for his patients. he is a doctor and an artist because he told me he was trying a special design on me and could try another if this one didn't work out....i don't think anyone else would be able to do something like that.

after i left, the right side of my eye was red in a circular shape where the lens was rubbing or resting, but that was minor. it went away in an hour or so. im sure with the new lenses, that should go away.

i go in again later this week. excited for it.

Leave a comment:

• m4shore
    replied
    GOOD LUCK!

I'm may very well be paying him a visit too.

Leave a comment:

• MGD666
    replied
    Good Luck! and yes, please keep us posted on the experience (I hope to be doing exactly the same thing at some point this year)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X