How I am treating my dry eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I am treating my dry eyes

About 3-3.5 months I was diagnosed with dry eye - my only symptom was light sensitivity and at times my eyes would feel glassy this happened like for a few seconds while driving. Light sensitivity on some days is very very painful. My first schirmer scores 2 months back showed ~7mm in both, and most recently showed 5mm and 4mm - scary! Every other test is good and normal except some lipid deficiency in one eye. Ophthalmologists didn't think too much of it. They found my basal tearing reduced but reflex tearing is okay apparently so not sure what is happening!!

I use my computer 10-12 hours a day since that is my profession and have a lower blink rate something that I have improved - doctors said this shouldn't cause the acqeous tear deficiency to happen!

My dry eyes began developing during a ketogenic diet and I saw on many forums a restrictive diet like ketosis caused dry eye in a few people but it usually resolved by itself after they started eating normally and supplemented with Omega-3... I still strongly think it is some micronutrient or vitamin deficiency that triggered my condition because the timing overlapped with what I believe was quite dehydrated body during ketosis, and very heavy exercise. However after normal food and rest it still persists.

My blood tests have come out negative (basic tests like ANA, ESR, CRP) for Sjogren. We don't have the Sjo test here in my country so I guess we will have to wait and check again - I do not have dry mouth - not sure if it is psychosomatic but after reading online I sometimes get scared I am experiencing some symptoms but they go away when I don't worry

Unaware of what is causing my dry eye besides artificial drops I am using these and these seem to help:
    1. Curcumin supplement 600mg 2 times a day (Immune Health + reduce eye inflammation)
    2. 1500mg of Omega 3s 2 times a day
    3. Peony Extract 600mg once (Immune Health)
    4. Maquibright 60mg once (says can help tear production)
    5. 60000 IU Vitamin D3 once a week (my vit D levels were very low)
    7. Liver cleansing pills

Alternative Therapies that are helping:
    I am a man of science so the approaches I am using are scientific to some degree or atleast they help me

Acupuncture - 2 times a week - after first session one of my eyes momentarily started tearing and went to normal for about 1 hour and my eyes have been tearing more than usual now- I was positively surprised - most recently I had a "healing crisis" and my eye pain increased - fast forward a few days I am less sensitive to light and needing drops fewer times every day

Sub-concious Healing - Telling yourself and repeating in your head - "my negative thoughts, fears and pain are getting burned and erased" "I am healing and my symptoms going into remission". The subconcious can heal if you want it to heal you - it is very strong. There are stories of people surviving multiple nuclear blasts, a plane crash, curing autoimmune diseases check out some TED talks if you are a westerner (the east usually knows and leverages the subconcious to heal) and find this bogus.

Yoga - Google Pranayama and palming helps reset eyes and is a good form of biofeedback.

In my culture, mind and body are connected and mind can heal the body and vice versa. I had some weird symptoms in 2013 and within 3 days healed myself only with positive thoughts - I have no explanation for that. Even if it doesn't work, this will reduce stress - and stress is known to compound problems- so nothing to lose.

I will be healing my gut soon with probiotics, increasing iodine, magnesium as well just FYI

I would say in the last 2 weeks I am 30% improved.

Will check back in after 3 months once I am completely healed and drop an encouraging message - most people who recover usually don't share, they leave which leaves medical science unimproved and cures undiscovered. One accomplished ophthalmologist actually told me a number of people actually recover from dry eyes - we only hear about those that don't. Anyway best of luck hope this helps

Thank you so much for your post. Looking forward to your update.

Comment

Thank you for posting this. On the chance you come back sooner than three months, do you have the names of any specific TED talks about how to leverage the subconscious for healing? I'd be interested in watching them. I have had acupuncture for other issues and found temporary relief of dry eye too. Will have to try it again.

Comment

Update: Had another consultation with my opthalmologist - she stated vitamin d levels can cause dry eyes in people and she knew mine were low. My light sensitivity has reduced and reduced eye pain - I think I am still at 30% better atm. I have been having some odd symptoms in my jaw tightness near my ears when stressed. No idea if I have Sjo or what is going on... She said she doesn't think that since reflex tearing values and many other tests were all normal except schirmer I values. For some reason after she said that my tight jaw loosened but still have lingering tightness usually when I am worried - really no clue what is going on. I have to practice what I preach and be positive and heal

I found these TED talks helpful:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erpPQDSWD0k
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWQfe__fNbs
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqoRGr3icTo

A prerequisite to healing is reducing stress and I need to stop stressing. Following auto-suggestions like those I outlined above are important too

Also laughing is important. You have to shift your mind away from the problem, I know it's hard and even I am learning.

But overall I think try to control what is in your control - your mindstate, your reactions to things and your eating habits.

Comment

I thought I’d chime in since you mentioned probiotics. My dry eye was also diet induced. I had been drinking nothing but soylent, eating junk snacks to fill in the gaps and was getting very little sleep for the better part of a year. Needless to say, I threw my gut out of whack. I had severe acid reflux/heartburn and ended up losing even more sleep. A few months after these symptoms, I started to develop recurrent styes which I later learned were block meibomian glands. I’ll fast forward. Today, I am experimenting with diet. I’ve had a lot of success. With simultaneous expression, I have had no dry eye symptoms, but the redness persisted until I cut out fat almost completely. I had multiple days where I was eating veggie meals where the redness was completely gone and the meibum was flowing effortlessly. The redness came back within an hour of me eating some farm fresh eggs and worsened after some chicken. Why I wonder did the inflammation cease and come back so suddenly after consuming high amounts of fat? I have a hypothesis... my microbiome is out of whack, unable to digest fat without things leaking into my bloodstream (look up leaky gut syndrome). I am taking detailed daily logs of my eyes and stool and am meeting with a naturopath soon. Once I get things on track, I’ll try not to be lazy and get a post going on my own with some juicy details. This is science. Science always has an explanation and solution. Dry eye has various underlying causes, but I think this is the most underrated one. Peace, folks.
          Last edited by Overboardmate; 13-Nov-2019, 16:44.

Comment

Update now at 50% recovery. My eyes have been tearing more and noticeably reduced discomfort.

As you point out above, it can be related to gut health. Dry eye specially aqueous deficient is an autoimmune process. I started supplementing with vit D
            at 15k/day (under supervision) and Mg,Selenium,DHA.

Vit D controls many genes in the body and in larger doses can improve gut health but please do larger than usual doses under the right supervision. I am in treatment with an experienced internal medicine doctor she picked up on Selenium deficiency and subtler things in my health. I feel better after just 8 days with higher dose vit D and other supplements. Again everyone is different so what works for me may not work for othersz There is research that Vit D deficiency is cause for dry eye in Non Sjogren dry eye do a google search

This supplementation plus Yoga, relaxed mind is working for me.

Laugh, enjoy life. Laughter is the best medicine.

Comment

Originally posted by venkat3 View Post
              Update: Had another consultation with my opthalmologist - she stated vitamin d levels can cause dry eyes in people and she knew mine were low. My light sensitivity has reduced and reduced eye pain - I think I am still at 30% better atm. I have been having some odd symptoms in my jaw tightness near my ears when stressed. No idea if I have Sjo or what is going on... She said she doesn't think that since reflex tearing values and many other tests were all normal except schirmer I values. For some reason after she said that my tight jaw loosened but still have lingering tightness usually when I am worried - really no clue what is going on. I have to practice what I preach and be positive and heal

I found these TED talks helpful:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erpPQDSWD0k
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWQfe__fNbs
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqoRGr3icTo

A prerequisite to healing is reducing stress and I need to stop stressing. Following auto-suggestions like those I outlined above are important too

Also laughing is important. You have to shift your mind away from the problem, I know it's hard and even I am learning.

But overall I think try to control what is in your control - your mindstate, your reactions to things and your eating habits.
              Hi venkat3 , I'm struggling with lacrimal deficiency (schirmer < 5mm) and some kind of allergic reaction that swollen my eyelids (microfollicular hypertrophy) since 3 years.
              I'm to lazy to write again my background, so I will say only that I have tried many things without solving. Also I did a lot of blood tests (Shjogren, thyroid, diabetes, allergies, general status) and everything was good.
              Last month I decided to try the DAO test, it checks the levels of Diamino Oxidase, an enzyme that regulates the histamine in the body and it resulted positive (moderately allergic to histamine), but I don't have the common symptoms of histamine allergy and the allergologist said that the test was a waste of money because she thinks that it is not reliable.
              Last week I did a vitamin D blood test for the first time and it resulted low (29,0 ng/mL, the range is 30-100), but consider that I started taking cod liver oil three weeks before, so I think the value was even lower before cod liver oil.
              Maybe the low levels of vitamin D weakened the immune system, and lowered the production of DAO. But these are only my thoughs.

I'm following a personal protocol to enhance my health:
              1) I follow a very clean mediterranean diet. A lot of vegetables and fruits, fish, chicken, eggs, yogurt, whole grain bread and basmati rice, legumes, nuts, 2 litres of water, coffe and tea etc.
              2) I take cod liver oil, omega 3 and probiotics.
              3) I don't smoke, and rarely drink a beer.
              4) I go to the gym 2-3 times a week.

Next week I will start taking vitamin D supplement given by the doctor (25000 IU every 2 weeks). I hope to see improvements!

Comment

You need higher dose of vit d 10k IU/day is no adverse affects observed and cofactors like magnesium, b12, etc. 10k Iu is what your body makes when exposed to 1 to 20 minutes of sunlight. Aim for levels like 70-100.

Drink 2.5-3 L if consuming higher dose vitamin d and important for you to measure PTH levels. Find a doctor who does vitamin d therapy and only do this under the right supervision.

but seriously the paltry doses that conventional doctors give do not cure deficiencies neither unlock the healing powers of vitamin d but please do it with sufficient testing and precautions

Comment

Please keep us updated with your story.

Comment

Fenix Anything below 10k IU/day is a paltry dose and not going to help imo I could be wrong. If you stand outside in sun for 15-30 minutes/day I believe you will make that amount. For there to be a therapeutic benefit you have to take more. Read here about Vit D and aqueous deficient dry eye: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5436419/

Also doctor I work with specializes in Vit D therapy so they measure my ionized calcium and PTH levels, since calcium toxicity is what causes harm not vit D itself. I am on 15k IU/day. You need to take cofactors like magnesium that help you absorb the Vit D.

I drink 3-4 litres water a day and reduced dairy consumption. 25k once every two weeks is ridiculously low. Specially if you are suffering from any form of autoimmunity your VDR is more resistant to effects of Vit D so you need to take higher doses to see any benefits. Again to each his own, I am not a medical professional please consult someone who knows better and these are only things I have learned along the way - I am seeing improvements personally, and better health in general so I am not going to reason further.

Some other points to note/things to try - you may consider reducing or removing meat and animal products, supplementing B12, adding greens, veggies, cutting cooking oils (yep I know it is hard), drinking more water, adding Flax or Chia seed oil to your diet (Omega-3) better than fish oil because they have some chemical that occurs before a specific conversion I believe - not a chemist, only a computer scientist here :P. And lots of water aim for atleast a gallon spread throughout the day.
                    Last edited by venkat3; 02-Dec-2019, 07:01.

Comment

Also guys sorry I can not keep lurking here. Just wanted to give you some positivity. Everyone's case is different, just be positive and you will recover. There either exist ways or there will be ways in the future to cure everyone's dry eyes so don't lose faith - constantly reading this forum doesn't help me personally and also eats away from productive time.

Wish everyone luck and I hope everyone recovers - definitely give Yoga, clean diet and Vit D a shot in my opinion it could help

Comment

Working...
                      X