Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travel and Dry Eyes (Yes, You Can Even Go to Developing Countries and Survive!)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by neilw View Post
    This post is really a question for SAAG.

My wife, Kathy and I are in Melbourne and, after some years of consideration and research, were planning to move to southern Queensland this year, as this seems to be the best area in Australia for a dry eye sufferer.
    However, now that the bushfires have affected so much of the east coast of Australia, including southern Queensland, we are having second thoughts. We had been to northern NSW and southern Queensland both in 2017 and 2018 and we were always being told that "it is too wet for bushfires here". That seems to have changed now.
    I know that you, SAAG, tried living in Malaysia and Thailand and then went to Central America. I am not sure where you are now. But I'd love to know what you think of those places for dry eye, both from the perspective of the climate and the facilities (especially medical).

I am not sure we'd get up and move overseas, but sitting here in Melbourne at the moment, in a haze of smoke from the bushfires, it feels like there is no good place in this country for someone with dry eye.

There is definitely more air pollution on average in Malaysia and Thailand urban areas - I'm sure rural areas would be no problem, provided people don't burn stuff outdoors regularly AND provided they aren't in a region known for smoke issues (ex. the area around Chiang Mai, Thailand is bad for this at certain times of year)... much of Malaysia is impacted by forest fires in Indonesia for months at a time, so may be no better than Australia for that.

re: Medical - I brought all of my prescriptions from home. However, I did buy some Restasis in Malaysia as it was half the price it is here in Canada (but be careful who you buy from as counterfeiting is an issue). Good medical care can be found anywhere if you do enough research... but it's easier in Malaysia since tons of people there are 100% fluent in English so you take the language barrier out of the equation. You can find fluent English speakers anywhere... but there are more of them in Malaysia compared to places we've been inThailand and Mexico.

Now with Covid being a problem, that changes everything, of course. I'd avoid Mexico for now... Asian countries that have it under control are probably a safer bet.
    Yet another post-Lasik (2005)...
    Anyone have a time machine so I can go back and undo this mess?

Comment

• Originally posted by Helen J. Waller
      I can understand your condition. Travelling becomes hectic for dry eye people. I recommend going [URL removed by SAAG] for a verion cataract surgery for a clearer and improved vision.
      Your advertising for cataract surgery is a waste of everyone's time in this thread.
      Yet another post-Lasik (2005)...
      Anyone have a time machine so I can go back and undo this mess?

Comment

Working...
      X