probing of glands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• probing of glands

I called the Manchester dry eye clinic, apparently if glands have dropped out they cannot probe them, only if they are blocked.

I currently have 30% of glands left and believe some will have dropped out.

Anyone have experience with probing and can inform?

If you still have some glands producing meibum, you should defenitly try probing technique, I tried it and didnt find any improvement cause it was too late and my glands already dropped out. you still can save this 30%glands, having them is better than 0 glands trust me, do it ASAP. Some probing techniques might be more effective than others, some doctors probe and after they inject azytromicin in the gland to improve the function. Also probing has to be repeated every 6 months or so to mantain them, is not a one time fix. If you combine this with some sessions of optima IPL, u can improve a lot! Take care!

Comment

bcn90 i cant afford to get glands probed every 6 months. it costs £2k or £2.8k with lipiflow. I simply dont have the funds to do it so often.

i'll be getting Lymecycline anti biotic next week (similar to doxy). My next move is to look into scleral lenses.

This disease is a curse and turned my life upside down.

Comment

Scleral lens may help your symptoms, but may not improve impact the underlying disease.

Have you tried topical Azyter? It's available in the UK/EU, and it's very cheap (like cheaper than coffee).

Comment

I'll be picking up a prescription for Lymecycline (anti biotic similar to doxy) this week so will have to run with this for now.

If Scleral lens work, it will help me function as a normal human.

Comment

Originally posted by deep_dry_eye View Post
            Scleral lens may help your symptoms, but may not improve impact the underlying disease.

Have you tried topical Azyter? It's available in the UK/EU, and it's very cheap (like cheaper than coffee).
            deep_dry_eye i'll be getting Azyter. What dosage and frequency have you used for mgd and did it sting like mad?

Comment

Originally posted by orange86 View Post

deep_dry_eye i'll be getting Azyter. What dosage and frequency have you used for mgd and did it sting like mad?
              My most recent adventure of topical azithromycin (not azyter, compounded, lower concentration, and no delivery vehicle like azyter -- this is because Canada does not have azyter). I used it for twice daily for 3 months, and now switching to once daily.

This is a pretty high dose, azyter you may be able to use a lower dose, since Azyter is higher concentration and has a better delivery vehicle.

Azyter stung on me before when I tried it, but my compounded azithromycin does not sting. Not sure why.

Comment

My most recent adventure of topical azithromycin (not azyter, compounded, lower concentration, and no delivery vehicle like azyter -- this is because Canada does not have azyter). I used it for twice daily for 3 months, and now switching to once daily.

This is a pretty high dose, azyter you may be able to use a lower dose, since Azyter is higher concentration and has a better delivery vehicle.

Azyter stung on me before when I tried it, but my compounded azithromycin does not sting. Not sure why.
                Hi, i have been using Ikervis for 1 year and clean my eyelids with Hypochlorous Acid. I don't have any posterior blepharitis, just mgd

Would i still benefit from Azyter?

Comment

i'll be getting probing in june, i only wish i tried it last year when i had more glands.
                  i've done 1x lipiflow and circa 10 IPL's since January 2020, while watching helplessly my glands atrophy and die. it's been a miserable life.

Comment

i'll be getting probing in june, i only wish i tried it last year when i had more glands.
                    i've done 1x lipiflow and circa 10 IPL's since January 2020, while watching helplessly my glands atrophy and die. it's been a miserable life.
                    Where are you going for probing?

Comment

Did you get the probing done yet?

Comment

I had probing a month ago, it did not help as my main issue is thick meibum and poor flow.
                        Probing broke down the fibrotic tissue in some glands ,but not all were capped.

the probing doc gave me 1 months worth of azyter drops and Softacourt steriods but they did nothing.
                        I've also taken a 3 month course of lymecycline antibiotics (earlier this year) which gave me gastritis, did not help my meibum oil at all.

I'm pretty much at a loss with my type of non obvious mgd, (no obvious sign of inflammation such as lid tenderness).
                        Really not sure where to go from here?

Comment

I had probing a month ago, it did not help as my main issue is thick meibum and poor flow.
                          Probing broke down the fibrotic tissue in some glands ,but not all were capped.

the probing doc gave me 1 months worth of azyter drops and Softacourt steriods but they did nothing.
                          I've also taken a 3 month course of lymecycline antibiotics (earlier this year) which gave me gastritis, did not help my meibum oil at all.

I'm pretty much at a loss with my type of non obvious mgd, (no obvious sign of inflammation such as lid tenderness).
                          Really not sure where to go from here?
                          don't give up!

there are still other treatments available. Have you tried IPL? Xiidra? Restasis?

Comment

don't give up!

there are still other treatments available. Have you tried IPL? Xiidra? Restasis?

Yes, i've had 13x IPL's ikervis, azyer eye drops, Regener Eyes, probing, lipiflow, oral anti biotics which gave me gastritis, all manor of fish oils, strict AIP diet for 5 months, liver detox protocol with supplements, nothing has worked. It's as though i took Accutane... I have non obvious mgd (without signs of obvious inflammation) which might explain why the anti inflammatory treatments have not worked.

I'm at a loss with this disease, i've thrown everything i can at it (with available treatments in my country), yet nothing seems to stop the atrophy and thick meibum.
                            I'm giving up the will to live, the suffering of severe mgd and cn pain has got too much for me to bear.

Comment

Yes, i've had 13x IPL's ikervis, azyer eye drops, Regener Eyes, probing, lipiflow, oral anti biotics which gave me gastritis, all manor of fish oils, strict AIP diet for 5 months, liver detox protocol with supplements, nothing has worked. It's as though i took Accutane... I have non obvious mgd (without signs of obvious inflammation) which might explain why the anti inflammatory treatments have not worked.

I'm at a loss with this disease, i've thrown everything i can at it (with available treatments in my country), yet nothing seems to stop the atrophy and thick meibum.
                              I'm giving up the will to live, the suffering of severe mgd and cn pain has got too much for me to bear.
                              What IPL protocol does your doctor do? Do they do IPL directly on the lids with metal corneal shields? I had 5 IPLs with a doctor that did the Toyo's protocol (only face/cheeks and temples) and the improvements were super minimal. TBUT and LLTs were almost the same before and after 5 IPLs. I switched over to a doctor that did the Periman protocol (face, forehead, and directly on the eyelids) and after one of those, my TBUT and LLT had already started improving. Also how many weeks are you spacing the treatments? I've been doing them every 3 weeks, I'm soon gonna switch to every 2 weeks. I think if you wait too long, the IPLs won't be as effective.

Comment

Working...
                              X