Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Teva Cyclosporine the same as Restasis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Teva Cyclosporine the same as Restasis?

I recently tried to get my Restasis drops but was told the insurance no longer covers themThey now cover the generic version which I assume is Teva in Canada. I compared the non-medical ingredients online and the appear lot be the same. That means the delivery vehicle for cyclosporine should theoretically be the same. However, the exact amounts of the ingredients may be different.

I would rather not change my regimen so I am not excited to try the generic unless it is exactly the same.

Does anyone have any insights on this?

They have the same active ingredient (Cyclosporine), but my understanding is that the delivery vehicle is different.

There has been no heads-up study comparing the two, so it is unclear which one is better. I had one doctor with high volume patient tell me that he thinks Restasis is better (based off results of patients who went Restasis->Generic).

Which part of Canada are you from? There has been many new treatments coming out lately, that you may also benefit from. I am personally on Restasis, Xiidra, topical Azithromycin and IPL.

Comment

I have been a long term Restasis user. Last year I came off serum drops and currently only use Restasis and hypochlor. I’ve tried Xiidra in the past and it worsened my situation at the time.

I am now due for an IPL but I cannot visit my doc at the moment. So at this point I am trying to figure out if Teva is the same because I would rather not screw up a working regimen by introducing some new eye drops.

What do you think of the info below?

Restasis:
      Inactives: glycerin; castor oil; polysorbate 80; carbomer copolymer type A; purified water; and sodium hydroxide to adjust pH.

Teva:
      carbomer copolymer type A, castor oil, glycerin, polysorbate 80, purified water and sodium hydroxide (to adjust the pH).

The inactives are identical so the emulsion/delivery vehicle is the same. However, they are listed in different order.

Food products list their ingredients by the amount. The main ingredients are listed at the beginning. I wonder if it is the same here.

Comment

Originally posted by hopeful_hiker View Post
        I have been a long term Restasis user. Last year I came off serum drops and currently only use Restasis and hypochlor. Iâve tried Xiidra in the past and it worsened my situation at the time.

I am now due for an IPL but I cannot visit my doc at the moment. So at this point I am trying to figure out if Teva is the same because I would rather not screw up a working regimen by introducing some new eye drops.

What do you think of the info below?

Restasis:
        Inactives: glycerin; castor oil; polysorbate 80; carbomer copolymer type A; purified water; and sodium hydroxide to adjust pH.

Teva:
        carbomer copolymer type A, castor oil, glycerin, polysorbate 80, purified water and sodium hydroxide (to adjust the pH).

The inactives are identical so the emulsion/delivery vehicle is the same. However, they are listed in different order.

Food products list their ingredients by the amount. The main ingredients are listed at the beginning. I wonder if it is the same here.
        I'm not a pharmacology expert, so I can't comment even if the ingredients are exactly the same (e.g., what if they were processed differently?). My advice, give it a try, see 6 months, and then report back here.

I recommend continuous IPL, IPL clinics continue to be open in Toronto area. I recommend give Xiidra and Azithromycin a try, both help me.

Comment

Working...
        X