IPL every 3 weeks instead of 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPL every 3 weeks instead of 4?

I was wondering why IPL was typically scheduled every 4 weeks? I'm doing IPL right now and my doctor says I can schedule them every 3-5 weeks so I opted for 3 weeks because I want to get better quicker. I'm just wondering if that would make the IPL less effective?

Because I know when you do IPL for dermatology, they do every 4 weeks because the skin cells turnover rate is 4 weeks so you have to wait for the cells to regenerate every 4 weeks before killing them again.

And for laser hair removal its the same idea, they do a treatment every 4 weeks because it gives the hair follicle enough time to regenerate before zapping and killing them again (I have personal experience with this, it does take about 4-6 weeks for the hair follicles to grow back).

I don't know too much about the science of IPL for MGD but it seems like the idea is to kill the inflammatory cells in the glands. So I'm wondering if it would be a bad idea to schedule every 3 weeks, like maybe it wont give the cells enough time to regenerate to be killed off again? Or is the concept for MGD entirely different?

There has been no study that I know of that compares times between IPL sessions.

For a long period of time (1yr period), I did IPL every 3 wks.

It's probably different per patient, but I don't think that extra 1wk will make a huge difference.

I still do continuously IPL every 1-2months atm.

Comment

Did you IPL sessions have the goggles over the eyeballs and then go over the upper eyelid?

Comment

Originally posted by johnsonc22 View Post
        Did you IPL sessions have the goggles over the eyeballs and then go over the upper eyelid?
        No, my IPLs are following the Toyo's protocol. Just corneal shields taped over my eyes and laser shots on the cheeks, temples, and nose.

Comment

Originally posted by johnsonc22 View Post
          I do upper and lowers, so I have metal shields.

Comment

Originally posted by deep_dry_eye View Post

I do upper and lowers, so I have metal shields.
            Are you based in the UK? Can i ask where you go for IPL if you are?

Comment

Working...
            X