1 year post LASIK. Is there any hope?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 year post LASIK. Is there any hope?

Good day, dear members of the forum. I am glad I've found this website. Everyone seems to care about each other and try to help as much as possible.
    I am writing in a hope of getting help and becoming better too. I'll try to be as short as possible.

My story: Male, age 23. My prescription was -0.75 and -1.00. Contact lenses user for 6 years (2014 - 2020). Used only outside of home. During summer of 2019 I worked as a lifeguard and was wearing contacts all working hours. By the end of the summer I've noticed my eyes were irritated and sometimes burnt. Bought some aritifical tears to use on top of contacts since I've never did this before. Seemed to help a bit, however, when I returned to my studies, I've noticed that by the end of days my eyes "burn" a bit, but this was gone when I took off my contacts.

How I decided to do LASIK: during the pandemic I worked a lot on my diploma on PC from home. That's where I started to have "burning eyes" even without contacts. Then I've got interested in eye surgery and though to myself "If I do an eye surgery, I'll never wear contacts. That means, my eyes wouldn't be irritated any more". Now I sadly understand how bad this thought was.

When I came to the doctor's office, I immediately told this thought and explained that my eyes were a bit irritated rarely for the past time. They did all measurements and told me I am a perfect candidate. No dry eye detected on the scan, nothing. So I proceeded. That was June of 2020 (1 year ago)

Outcome of the surgery: 20/15 in both eyes, however, I developed moderate dry eyes and aberrations. All objects had some sort of "shadows" and light sources had glares even during day. My doctor told me everything is fine with my vision and my dryness will go away itself soon.

Timeline and other info:
    June 2020 - Surgery
    July, August 2020 - severe foreign object sensation, inflammation. Preservative-free artificial tears with hylauronic acid were used all the time.
    August, September 2020 - began to do IPL, did 4 times. It helped a little bit.
    October, November 2020 - mild dryness, but still present aberrations.
    December, January 2020 - mild-low dryness, aberrations.
    February, March, April 2020 - mild dryness, aberrations. Mild allergy to pollen in April (if that matters for eyes)
    May, June 2020 - moderate-severe dryness, stronger aberrations and shadows. Mild allergy to pollen.

Some background info on my location and what I've tried:
    -I live in Uzbekistan which has very close climate to one in Las Vegas. 90-110 degrees during summer with 0-10% humidity (if that matters).
    -I've got humidifier at home and use it every time
    -Warm compresses with lid massage at least once a day
    -Different types of artificial tears (preservative free), the one with hylauronic acid was helping a lot, but now it irritates too
    -Restasis (started recently), irritates my eyes a lot!
    -IPL, 2 more times, didn't seem to help.

Oops! Almost forgot to include my check-up data:
    O.D, O.S
    NIBUT - 9.1S, 9.2S
    Lipid Layer Type - 15nm Open meshowrk-A, 30nm Close meshwork-B
    Meibomian Glands Lower - Loss area (%) - 2%, 6%
    Meibomian Glands Upper - Loss area (%) - 9%, 1%
    Tear meniscus heigh (mm) - 0.18mm, 0.23mm

Also Schirmer score with anesthesic drops (I guess) - 2mm, 0mm

Most of the technology and drops available in US are not available in my home country, however, I plan to visit US this summer.

Related questions:
    1) Are good scans (topographs, I don't know exact name) enough to perform a LASIK even if a patient like me says he is coming because contacts hurt his/her eyes a bit?

2) Am I stuck with dry eyes for the rest of my life? ANY hope this will go away or at least get better and manageable even after 1 year after the surgery?

3) What else would you suggest me to try and do?

4) Are my aberrations, glares around lights (for example, I might see a little diod in front of me very blurry, but other objects will still sppear clear), "shadows" around objects, especially during dawn (5-7PM) are really related to dry eye as my doctor (and the other independent one I've asked) tell me?

Any help and advice would be appreciated!

Hi,

I do not know as much as other posters on here so I'll only give you an answer of what has (very recently) worked for me.

I have recently started scrubbing my lids with a mix of tea tree and coconut oil and I feel much, much better so far. I had suffered from blepharitis, though. I'm not sure if that would help you at all because your problem might be entirely different. The coconut oil seems to be a good moisturizer, however. Definitely seek out other opinions from more knowledgeable posters but you might at least ask about those things. Be careful with the tea tree oil as it can be very irritating if you get undiluted tea tree oil in your eyes.

Comment

Working...
    X