Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about doing a Superficial Keratectomy this week under General Anesthesia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about doing a Superficial Keratectomy this week under General Anesthesia

I'm supposed to do a Superficial Keratectomy on Tuesday for my left eye. I am completely terrified as I have some super sensitivity that prevents anything from touching my eye. I have never even been able to have a doctor put a contact lens on my eye.

In my case, they will do it under General Anesthesia due to the extreme sensitives that I naturally seem to have. I have never done general anesthesia before either. I'm concerned about the risks.

Has anyone in the group ever done a Superficial Keratectomy under General Anesthesia or heavy sedation?
    Would I remember anything since they will have to keep my eye open.. I'm not sure if this would force me awake? What if I happen to wake up in the middle of the procedure and totally scared and freaked out?

I am also curious how you feel the next day after a Superficial Keratectomy (and General Anesthesia too). Is there a chance that I'll be able to open my eye? Would I be able to do things like walk downstairs and pick-up food I have delivered, for example? I am alone and I won't have anyone watching me or taking care of me which is sad.

Finally, I have never worn a contact lens before. I am wondering what the contact bandage lens is like? What does it feel like? Is there a chance it might fall out? So I guess you just sleep with it in and it's okay to keep it in for 1 week? How would I know if my eye is irritated from it?

I asked the doctor about Prokera after the SK as some people in this group suggested, but he said that it's not covered by my insurance, and that it would cost over $1,000 out of pocket, and that in his opinion it's not worth it. Curious any feedback on that too.

Hello!
    I am so sorry you didn't get any responses... sometimes it's quiet here and I don't visit nearly as often as I should. The Facebook RCE group is very active - I don't know if you've been there at all.

I hope you are doing okay and that they were able to ease your concerns before they started! When you're better enough to be online I'd love to hear how it went and how you are doing!
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
    X