Computer Use and Moisture Chamber Goggles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Use and Moisture Chamber Goggles

Hi all! I'm only 21 and suffer from severe aqueous deficiency and mild MGD since 1.5 years ago. Thing is, I'm currently pursuing a degree in Computer Science and on track to becoming a software engineer. I end up getting intense & painful eye strain every day, even with the warmest night shift setting and taking eye breaks every 20 minutes. Have a few questions about the feasibility of continuing on this track as I'm extremely stressed out about it on top of the daily eye pain, would really appreciate a reply!

1. Based on your experience, is your dry eye a progressive disease (does it progressively get worse with time)?
    2. Does too much computer use cause your dry eyes to get worse permanently? (once it gets worse, it doesn't get better?)
    3. Will moisture chamber goggles help if my problem is aqueous deficiency?
    4. Is it alright to wear moisture chamber goggles while wearing makeup/foundation? Will the particles enter my eye?

Thanks so much!

Hi Lynn,

My personal experience with my condition (Meibomian Gland Dysfunction/Blepharitis) is that it has gotten worse over the past few years, although I have made some improvements as I continue to seek medical help and the help of dry eye foundation members and staff. The second question is a bit difficult to answer as I don't know to what extent computer use has affected my condition, although I did use the computer (and screens) often growing up and it would make sense that it played a big factor in my condition.

Comment

Hello
      I am sorry to hear about Your problems with the eyes

I'm also a software engineer like You. luckily my eye pain started after I finished computer science degree but unluckily my eye pain started soon after starting programming job

I think extensive usage of LCD monitors might be the main cause of the eye problems
      I made an interesting topic about LCD and non-LCD monitors, You can read this topic and buy a monitor which doesn't damage eyes like Onyx Boox Mira
      https://forum.dryeyezone.com/forum/a...ople-must-read

1. I think this dry eye disease progresses as long as people don't stop to stare at LCD monitors. If we switch to non-LCD monitors then eye strain and pain might stop to progress, I believe
      2. I think some of the most promising options for eyes recovery are
      - high density autologous serum drops 50% or above
      - PRP eye drops and injections into meibomian glands in eyelids and into lacrimal glands
      - stem cells treatment which is still only in experimental stage
      https://forum.dryeyezone.com/forum/d...issum-alicante
      some users on this forum like Gates (also software engineer) IrishEyes, MiraculouslyCured, Neal reported that high density autologous serum cured their eyes
      3,4 I haven't tried out moisture chamber glasses yet. I think scleral lenses might be similar solution. You can try them out but I think they only ease the symptoms and don't cure eye strain and pain as far as I know

also some people on this forum recommend drinking extra virgin cod liver oil teaspoon every day to fulfill omega-3, vitamin D, K deficiency important for eyes

It might be possible in Your university to submit application for a half a year or full year vacation from studies for health recovery. I personally received a half a year unconditional vacation leave from studies on my university
      You can also try to recover during studies using high density autologous serum or quit university and resume studies as soon as Your eyes get better, passed subjects can possibly be transferred and passed too after resuming like in my university
      but maybe I shouldn't be giving such advices like that
      Last edited by ostas12345; 26-Apr-2022, 06:12.

Comment

1. Based on your experience, is your dry eye a progressive disease (does it progressively get worse with time)?

That depends on the root cause. There are studies connecting MGD with auto immune disorders where the immune system is attacking. But if it is caused by hormones or the environment , I don't think it is progressive. I was diagnosed with grade 3+ MGD and told it would progress. But I got the symptoms to completely go away with consistent treatment.

2. Does too much computer use cause your dry eyes to get worse permanently? (once it gets worse, it doesn't get better?)

Yes it can make the symptoms worse. I doubt this is permanent. You feel better when you get off the computer right?

3. Will moisture chamber goggles help if my problem is aqueous deficiency?

The googles helped me immensely. But they look ridiculous.

4. Is it alright to wear moisture chamber goggles while wearing makeup/foundation? Will the particles enter my eye?

I don't know the answer to this. I found wearing mascara very irritating and other makeup had no effect. After applying makeup, I use a lid cleaner to wipe my lower lid clean. Mascara particles used to get in my eye.

Comment

Working...
        X