Antidepressants Effexor & Klonopin / Weight Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antidepressants Effexor & Klonopin / Weight Loss

Hello Folks - I was taking 225mg of Effexor in the AM and .5mg of Klonopin in the AM & PM (1mg per day). My eyes were doing decent with regiment I follow: PRN Omega-3 x 3/day, Refresh drops x2-4/day, Bruder Mask, Restasis AM & PM and have Punctal plugs.. I went through a sleeping test and at the end I'm told to lose 30lbs.

Last October I started the process of losing weight which was basically to eat less and exercise more (walking is what I do) and I'm down 35lbs. I know correlation doesn't equal causation but it seems as I was losing weight on the same dosage of antidepressants my eyes were getting more dry which eventually results in SLK. It got real bad the past 6-8 weeks I had to make an eye doctor appointment and get prescribed FML drops (I've also reduced my caffeine intake and increased my water). I started working with my psychiatrist where we initially split the Effexor up 150mg/AM , 75mg/PM but it made no difference. The past two weeks I'm on a reduced AM dosage of 112.5mg/AM , 75mg/PM and unfortunately it still hasn't made a difference. My goal is to taper off the Klonopin fully this year and I've already cut my dose in half from 2mg/day to 1mg/day but I/we are focusing on the Effexor. It seems like my next move is to reduce my AM dosage of Effexor from 112.5mg to 75 which will cut my daily intake from the initial 225mg to 150mg.

What is tough is that mentally I was in a decent place but with the increase of dryness I need to address the source. I'm wonder if 1) Losing weight with current dosage could of increased the side effects, specifically dry eye? went from 175lbs to 140lbs. 2) Is the solution to continue to taper down and try to find a balance between mental health / dry eyes?

One other issue I have going for me is that I took Accutane when I was a late teenager (in the low 40's now). I think if maybe I'm still having some residual effects from that.

Thanks for reading and if you're going through something similar / have any feedback to share I would appreciate it.

6/26 Update
    Reduced AM dosage from 112.5mg Effexor XR to 75mg so total daily will be 150mg with 75mg also at night (approval from doc). Keeping fingers cross this increases tear production and doesn't impact mental health to much.
    Last edited by KevinS; 23-Jun-2023, 21:17.
Working...
X