Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post Lasik DES

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Post Lasik DES

    Hi All,

    Just curious, have any of you come across anyone with 'post-lasik DES' fully recovered from chronic DES?

    Much appreciated

    Cheers
    Nitro
    Post Lasik DES

  • #2
    Lasik dry eye recovery

    Well, I know a guy who got LASIK when he was around 25. Cross country runner in college and no health problems.

    He got LASIK during the summer, so no stress and plenty of time to rest. He says he was warned about the dry eye and was expecting it. So he was putting in artificial tears a few days before the procedure actually.

    Then he continued to put in artificial tears the day of and the days after. He says he started to feel dry around 2 weeks after the procedure and he just kept putting in drops. Says he was never SUPER dry but he thinks it is because he would put in drops constantly and prophylactically.

    Around 2 months later, he says he didn't feel dry anymore and soon after stopped putting in drops. He is a happy LASIK camper I think and only has dryness issues after 12 hours of computer work.

    I think this is more like the typical LASIK dry eye experience. Probably not like anyone that would come to this forum...

    Comment


    • #3
      Thnx, some comfort in hearing this

      Comment


      • #4
        post lasik mgd

        it seems to me that the biggest risk you run after LASIK is eventually developing MGD. If your eyes are too inflamed after the procedure then the Meibomian Glands get inflamed and then you are in a bad way...

        So, it seems to me (I am not that educated on LASIK dry eye) that to cure yourself of LASIK dry eye, 2 things have to happen:

        1) your corneal nerves have to grow back (I heard this can take 5 years), so your lacrimal output will come back to normal

        2) you have to prevent or rid yourself of Meibomian Gland Dysfunction. Prevent hopefully. MGD / posterior blepharitis is a tough disease to beat and can take years...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by nitrodrops View Post
          Hi All,

          Just curious, have any of you come across anyone with 'post-lasik DES' fully recovered from chronic DES?

          Much appreciated
          Yes lots. And statistically speaking there's every reason to believe that's normal. This board collects all the exceptions But even here, lots of people join when they're having a bad time, get better and move on.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Zone

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by NeedMyEyes View Post
            it seems to me that the biggest risk you run after LASIK is eventually developing MGD. If your eyes are too inflamed after the procedure then the Meibomian Glands get inflamed and then you are in a bad way...

            So, it seems to me (I am not that educated on LASIK dry eye) that to cure yourself of LASIK dry eye, 2 things have to happen:

            1) your corneal nerves have to grow back (I heard this can take 5 years), so your lacrimal output will come back to normal
            Had Lasik done in 2004, eyes blinked more often but never felt severe dry. My DES only worsen in 2009.
            My Dry-Eye specialists has mentioned that Lasik tends to cut off some of the cornea nerves, hence resulting in dry eyes.

            In my case, my DES worsens, just wondering is there still a chance for my cornea nerves to grow back after such a long time? My understanding is the cornea nerves will grow back/heal after a Lasik op shortly.


            Originally posted by NeedMyEyes View Post
            2) you have to prevent or rid yourself of Meibomian Gland Dysfunction. Prevent hopefully. MGD / posterior blepharitis is a tough disease to beat and can take years...
            Thanks for this, will ask my Dry-Eye specialists if i do have MGD / posterior blepharitis.

            Thanks mate.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
              Yes lots. And statistically speaking there's every reason to believe that's normal. This board collects all the exceptions But even here, lots of people join when they're having a bad time, get better and move on.

              Thanks Rebecca. This forum is boosting up my hopes!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by nitrodrops View Post
                Had Lasik done in 2004, eyes blinked more often but never felt severe dry. My DES only worsen in 2009.
                My Dry-Eye specialists has mentioned that Lasik tends to cut off some of the cornea nerves, hence resulting in dry eyes.

                In my case, my DES worsens, just wondering is there still a chance for my cornea nerves to grow back after such a long time? My understanding is the cornea nerves will grow back/heal after a Lasik op shortly.
                a little more than a year after PRK my DES got worse as well. im now nearing my 3 year mark and my eyes still hurt like hell and my vision sucks. it would be awesome to have the nerves grow back so i can at least dump the pain but i really doubt any changes occur after about a year.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I haven't been posting for quite awhile and see things are going nicely on DEZ! I would expect nothing else.
                  After hanging out on dry-eye and Lasik boards for about 12 years, many people do get better. I think more get better than stay in a hurting way. It takes TIME and when it feels like razor blades in your eyes, you don't have time. But time and the care you find outlined here are the only way to go.

                  Unless there is an underlying cause, I believe that with time and the right drops patients will get better eventually. It might take a year or two, but you'll get there. Your pocket book will be in better shape too. If you have insurance, that is a different matter.
                  Good luck to all and "hi Rebecca"
                  Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

                  The Dry Eye Queen

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hi All,

                    Had my follow-up last week with DryEye specialists, after been seeing him for 2years already. Some consolation is my DES is under-control now, from a whopping 16x eye-drops per day till 4x eye-drops now.

                    Schrimmer test
                    2011 : 1mm (L), 4mm (R) w Topical anesthetic
                    2012 : 11mm (L), 12mm (R) w/o Topical anesthetic
                    2013 : 17mm (L), 17mm (R) w/o Topical anesthetic >> feel not accurate, as nurse has put the litmus paper too deep in, resulting me to tears

                    DES specialists told me - my case is a bit unique, as my Lasik is performed on 2002 (Left Eye) and 2004 (Right Eye). My DES worsens in 2009. He explained if the cornea nerves would have grown back by 2009 then, hence he is suspecting my DES is due 'nerves sensitivity' as my Schrimmer tests look ok to him.

                    Just wondering if there is really post-lasik patients who experienced 'nerves sensitivity?

                    Comment

                    Unconfigured PHP Module

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X

                    Debug Information