Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone fancy entering this competition?.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone fancy entering this competition?.

http://www.opticalexpress.co.uk/land...=email-uk-9316

Thought not.

It is bizzare how unwitting members of the public have absolutly no idea of gamble they are about to pay for ..

A little story from over here in England. Our biggest known and supported football (not soccer!!) team- Manchester United goalkeeper Spaniard- David De Gea is to have laser eye surgery so he can do without contact lenses. Does even such a MASSIVE business like Manchester United PLC, not know that they could be about to ruin there multi-million pound player/goalkeeper if the gamble goes wrong ...
    I honastly felt like writing a short letter to him at the Clubs address to make him aware of this website..

Omg! I can't believe there is a competition to win Lasik. That is just wrong.
    Lasik victim 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Colin P View Post
      A little story from over here in England. Our biggest known and supported football (not soccer!!) team- Manchester United goalkeeper Spaniard- David De Gea is to have laser eye surgery so he can do without contact lenses. Does even such a MASSIVE business like Manchester United PLC, not know that they could be about to ruin there multi-million pound player/goalkeeper if the gamble goes wrong ...
      I honastly felt like writing a short letter to him at the Clubs address to make him aware of this website..
      Yup... definitely risky...

Comment

I think you should write that letter Colin, De Gea has a hard enough time catching the ball as it is without LASIK adding to his troubles!

Comment

Unbelievable! How incredibly irresponsible.
          They did my lasek surgery back in 2005.

This company is still operating in the netherlands,but their marketing is far less aggressive than back in 2005.
          Competitions to win free lasik are not seen here. Well maybe they exist,but i personally haven't seen it.

I have the feeling that the popularity of the procedure is decreasing a bit.

Colin i fully agree with robster,you definitely should write that letter.

Btw i would like to take the opportunity here to wish everybody a happy new year!... Too late for that? Hmm,no it's only the third of january,so i guess not. happy new year all!....

Patrick..
          Last edited by patrick; 03-Jan-2013, 01:28.

Comment

Write the letter to him personally c/o Man U, Colin!
            Last edited by littlemermaid; 03-Jan-2013, 01:53.
            Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

btw Some of us here in the states call the sport football! And you should write him a letter directing him to this website!
              Lasik victim 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Colin P View Post
                Does even such a MASSIVE business like Manchester United PLC, not know that they could be about to ruin there multi-million pound player/goalkeeper if the gamble goes wrong ...
                The one we used to talk about 'in the old days' of lasik complications yore (10+ years ago) was Tiger Woods. He had LASIK back in the dark ages of its technology - small optical zones, broadband lasers and such, and was the poster child for TLC, our biggest lasik company, for a long time. No doubt bound by contract not to say anything bad about it. Unbeknownst to the masses he had retreatments and had significant issues. All while his images were being used to advertise it.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
                  The one we used to talk about 'in the old days' of lasik complications yore (10+ years ago) was Tiger Woods. He had LASIK back in the dark ages of its technology - small optical zones, broadband lasers and such, and was the poster child for TLC, our biggest lasik company, for a long time. No doubt bound by contract not to say anything bad about it. Unbeknownst to the masses he had retreatments and had significant issues. All while his images were being used to advertise it.
                  How I(eye)ronic TLC stands for 'tender loving care' ... The Tiger certainly didn't lose his 'eye for the ladies' did he ..
                  I wonder if one day, somehow, word will get out there about the risks behind laser eye surgery..

Seeing as it was the latter stages of last season (summer 2012) that Uniteds 'keeper' was to undergo laser eye surgery, i imagine this would probably have been taken place pre-season? and if-so, informing him now, might not be such a good idea?..

What to do?...

Comment

He still hasn't had the procedure yet Colin but Mario Balotelli Man City's wayward striker had LASIK a couple of months back and no problems have been reported yet.

Comment

These 'opportunities' are offered frequently. I saw one competition where people were encouraged to send in their 'nastiest glasses' - those were the actual words. The one with most votes got the chance of LASIK. All the glasses that people sent in were shipped off to the Gambia - so competitors could feel virtuous about it. (Poor taste or is it just me?)

I read about Balotelli having LASIK; it seems he has allergies and his eyes were becoming very sensitive to contact lenses. It was said that Balotelli should have considered something called ortho-k lenses before resorting to surgery. I don't know what these lenses are but I was struck by the comment about his decision to have the procedure.

Comment

another thing i cannot understand is why lasik? while lasek/prk is considered the much safer choice especially if you're involved in any kind of contact sports.
                        as we all know the cornea will never heal for 100% after lasik surgery while after lasek/prk the cornea is considered as strong as before surgery although that's what they make the people believe

patrick...

Comment

http://www.eyeworld.org/article-the-...active-surgery

Comment

amazing! really the first time i heard of lasik leaving a stronger cornea after surgery than lasek/prk...

patrick..

Comment

Originally posted by patrick View Post
                              amazing! really the first time i heard of lasik leaving a stronger cornea after surgery than lasek/prk...
                              [vent]
                              Note that study was published in JRS, which is not so much a medical journal as a cheerleading rag for the LASIK industry. I never had a SHRED of respect for it. Any serious scientific journal dedicated to refractive surgery ought to properly document the complications of those surgeries. Yet dry eye, which is the single most common complication of LASIK, is discussed more frequently and accurately in just about any other medical journal. (Just my highly biased opinion.)
                              [/vent]
                              Rebecca Petris
                              The Dry Eye Foundation
                              dryeyefoundation.org
                              800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                              X