This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awful response to Dwelle :(

I was really excited when my Dwelle arrived yesterday because I thought I'd finally found something that would be able to get me through severe dry eyes at night. I used it a couple of times throughout the day, there was mild stinging when I first put it in (I was expecting that as my eyes are very dry) but other than that I found it worked well.

However, I put it in before bed and once during the night. I woke up a few hours later with swollen and very bloodshot eyes, severe burning and sensitivity to light. I've had severe dry eyes for over a year now (since an initial infection) and this is the worst dry eye related pain I've experienced.

I thoroughly rinsed my eyes, did a cold compress, and got a friend to drive me to the doctor for a check up. He prescribed me antihistamine drops but I didn't use them, just cold compresses and my regular artificial tears. About seven hours later they are feeling better but still worse than usual.

The only other thing I can think of is that I also slept with an eye mask on which is not something I usually do (I occasionally use tranquileyes and they are fine). The eye mask was in my make up drawer for a while so maybe I had a reaction to the fabric or some make up residue or something. I also have semi-permanent punctal plugs and I have noticed various artificial tears tend to sting more since I've had those in. I plan to have permanent ones put in in a few weeks.

Has anyone else had a reaction like this to Dwelle, or have I done something wrong? I now stinging can be expected but this was so much worse. The pain occurred quite a while after inserting the drops and it felt like I had chilli in my eyes! I wasn't expecting a miracle from Dwelle but I did think it would be better than this. Is there any chance it could still work for me or is suggesting that crazy?

What did the doctor think?

I've known people who had allergic reactions (to the povidone, probably) but that normally shows up quickly. And if something were wrong with the bottle of it that would be evident with the early applications unless it got contaminated. Even with allergy I'm not sure that would explain the pain though. Did the doctor see any sign of erosions when you saw him?

Whatever the cause I'm sorry you had to go through that! I'd avoid both the mask and the drop to be on the safe side!
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks for the response, Rebecca. The GP didn't have much to say except that the drops obviously weren't for me. He checked my eyes with a light and didn't say anything so I assumed he didn't notice anything unusual. I will get rid of the mask and avoid the drops for now and if things aren't back to "normal" in the next few days I will visit my optometrist.

Comment

I had the same reaction to Dwelle too, so it's definitely not for all of us. Hope you're eyes are better quickly.

Comment

I have that problem, too, but since it heals my corneas, I follow up with bland drops, and the lower eyelids clear up. My reaction must be milder than yours.

I'm sorry to hear that they do not work for you.

--Liz

Comment

Working...
          X