This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!!!!

I am in a total panic! Last night I accidently slept with some Genteal gel that had gone through my washer and dryer (long story). I didn't realize I was putting in the bad tube at bedtime and the gel did not sting or bother my eyes upon insertion. When I woke this morning both my eyes were swollen shut and stuck together. My eyes are very red and swollen inside and out. I used an ice pack to get some of the swelling down on the lids but inside my eyes look horrible!!!

I am seeing an opthamologist at 11:30 but I am terrified sleeping with the detergent laced gel may have done permanent damage to my already compromised eyes!! I have only slight pain in my right eye and virtually none in my left so I think that is promising? The lid was on the gel, although not tightened all the way down so it is possible the watered down detergent did get on the tip and even into the tube. I am wondering if this may have caused some permanent scarring in my eyes/glands??

Any thoughts/advice???

Relax

I doubt it is any permanent damage - Just a reaction to the detergent - some steroids for the inflamation should help it out

Comment

I think just a temporary irritation. Let us know after your doctor appointment!

Comment

Thank you for your response. The doctor did give me Omnipred and told me to use it every 2 hours whenever I am awake until Sunday. He said if my eyes look okay on Sunday morning I can stop. He did say it looks "very bad" and that terrified me. He said even my corneas are effected. I guess he meant by the inflamation. And my sight is not that great either. I am usually 20/20 but I was 20/40 and 20/50. Due to the inflamation I guess.

Although he said it's "very bad" he did not say I could not go back to work. He did not patch my eyes or anything. He didn't even say I had to come back. He said if I wasn't better Monday to come back but that was it. So I am thinking, how bad can it be? Plus I have very little pain. He said that was due to my lack of sensitivity because of my lasik. I didn't want to argue but I know my eyes (unfortunately) feel pain as much or more than the average person due to my lasik.

I am just hoping and praying that pain and dryness doesn't hit me in a few days like it did after my lasik. I keep trying to tell myself this was an irritant not someone slicing my corneas but still it is hard not to panic. I have worked so hard for 2 1/2 years to reach the level of comfort I have gotten to. To think that I accidently could have ruined it all with a stupid mistake is very depressing.

His diagnosis was "acute chemical kerotojunctivitis"

Comment

I'm so sorry, I can't even imagine what you are going through.
          Don't feel bad; I've done really dumb things lately with my eyes and like you not sure I'll ever be normal. Time will tell and if you are like me I have no patience. I hope you get to feeling better and all will be well by Monday

Comment

I'm sure you will feel better soon, accidents happen, the problem is the eyes take so long to heal! I had Lasik too and I assure you I feel pain if something is wrong, sometimes I wish my eyes were numb

Comment

I can relate with your panic. I wish you the best and hope things heal soon.

Melissa
              pianolady

Comment

A couple of days post Lasik when I went to put hand washing liquid on my hands the bottle malfunctioned in some strange way and a drop of the liquid shot up into my eye...my one Lasik eye, not the other one. I was terrified of the consequences, but as it turned out this was a very minor problem in comparision to the ocular rosacea, erosions and MGD that I was to suffer from for a year.

The point I am trying to make is that you have gone through hell as a result of Lasik. I'm confident that this bump in the road can not cause anywhere the same damage that the laser did when it zapped your perfect eye.

I wil be sending you positive vibes.
                Beradette

Comment

I agree with the others that you have not likely done any permanent damage. Good luck to you. Lucy
                  Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Update

Thank you to all who responded and made me feel better.

It has only been a few days but so far I think I am okay. My eyes feel pretty much as they did before, which is pretty much okay, as long as I stay away from air conditioning, candles, perfumes etc. and do my hot rice baggies.

Thank you!

Comment

relieved

thank goodness you're feeling better!!!
                      betty

Originally posted by LasikLady View Post
                      Thank you to all who responded and made me feel better.

It has only been a few days but so far I think I am okay. My eyes feel pretty much as they did before, which is pretty much okay, as long as I stay away from air conditioning, candles, perfumes etc. and do my hot rice baggies.

Thank you!

Comment

I'm very happy for you too. I feel like I walk on eggshells when it comes to my eyes.

Melissa
                        pianolady

Comment

I can totally relate to your panic... though, I am sure you have not done any permanent damage, it will take a bit of time but all will come back to normal, whatever your "normal" is...

Remember, a couple of days may make a big difference!
                          Please let us know!

Comment

Working...
                          X