X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass cell stabilizer drops??

hi all.
    I am starting a new self medicated treatment of Mass cell Stabilizer eye drops: I got Optrex Allergy eyes.

I didn't get Zaditor as here is Mauritius, we do not have all these choices. I would like to know if anyone has tried this kind of treatment and if it is effective?

Moreover,besides the presence of Benzalkonium chloride and its notoriety for damaging the eyes, I would like to know if it is basically safe to use these kinds of drops in the long run, continuously?

Thankyou

PS: from the Optrex notice, it says:

Optrex Allergy Eye Drops soothe & prevent itchy, allergy eyes. Use Optrex Allergy Eye Drops (as directed on the leaflet) before and throughout the high pollen season (usually April to Sept) to help avoid hayfever symptoms. (Do not use for more than three consecutive months without consulting your doctor).

SO, it is dangerous to use it for more than 3 months?
    If I have to choose between being happy and sad, I''ll choose being happy....... and you?... so.... stop choosing being unhappy (yeah its hard but....)....stop depressing........ live!!!

Hi Mika
    Do take care because this eyedrop has BAK as a preservative

If you want a PF anti-allergy eye drop, and you cant get Zaditor/Zaditen (both same thing) single unit drops, there is another single unit PF drop called "cromadoses" It is sodium chromoglicate 2% and produced by a French lab
    As far as I know it is the only PF allergy drop except for Zaditor on the worldwide market

Comment

Hello Mika,

I use a generic form of Nasonex daily, and I believe it is what keeps my allergies under control. I add Patanol, which is another Mast Cell Stabilizer eye drop, when my allergies get out of control. I sometimes also also add generic Zyrtec tablets - when my allergies go crazy, my doctor says to use them all together. But during calmer times, I only use the nasal spray. I am mostly allergic to tree pollens, dust, and mold.

If you are worried about the BAK in the eye drops, why not try a nasal spray like Nasonex, or tablets like Zyrtec, and avoid the issue?

Good luck,

Lynne

Comment

Do these allergy eye drops dry out your eyes even more???

Melissa
        pianolady

Comment

Originally posted by msienkiewicz View Post
          Do these allergy eye drops dry out your eyes even more???

Melissa
          I would like to know that too.

Comment

I think they might - I felt a bit dryer when i tried comadoses

Comment

Originally posted by sanna View Post
              I would like to know that too.
              well melissa and sanna, according to Dr Latkany, "I" must treat the allergy FIRST so as NOT to be dry.

FROM Latkany:
              "If you do not address the allergy you will only be dry in the end so don't focus so much on the srying effects of the allergy meds. Focus on improving/reducing the allergy symptoms."

(http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...hlight=zaditor)
              If I have to choose between being happy and sad, I''ll choose being happy....... and you?... so.... stop choosing being unhappy (yeah its hard but....)....stop depressing........ live!!!

Comment

stella thank you for the product of cromadoses!! I will look for it in my tiny island of Mauritius. I hope anyone here knows another Preservative free Eyes drop containing Mast cell Stabilizer? As here, choices are very limited. Hopefully I will get the cromadoses..
                So stella have you tried the eye drops itself? does it work?

Gz9gjg you use mast cell stabilizer Tablets?? the oral form works?? i though you must have the eye drops form. moreover why you use nazal spray? I don't have nazal allergy. Only eyes allergies....

oh btw, have anyone here tried a mass cell stabilizer eye drop for a long long time?
                Thank you

Comment

Mika
                  I did use it for a few days as i suspected allergy played a part in my DE
                  No Dr has ever diagnosed allergies for me - I came to the conclusion that it cant be allergies since cromadoses had no effect
                  They felt very comfortable on instillation and cleared up redness of the eyelids

For me its back to the original diagnosis of blepharitis MGD

Try googling "cromadoses" they are probably available on the internet, as in France you can buy them at any pharmacy and they are cheap and you dont need a Dr's prescription

Comment

Just looked for cromadoses today. No luck. No supply in Mauritius.

However, I got a curiously strange incident/(luck?): I asked the pharmacist if he has PATANOL, and he said he does and I got it WITHOUT prescription..

now... does Patanol generally requires prescription?

but why does it need prescription for an allergy eyes drop which is considered to be ok for long term use?..strange.. anyone knows the answer?

Comment

I used to suffer terribly with allergies to pollen, ragweed, dust, pet dander etc… It got to a point for me that my body actually built up a tolerance to the allergy medicines I was taking and rendered them basically ineffective. Then, two years ago my ear, nose and throat doctor told me to go see an allergist because I was developing polyps in my nasal passages from having continuous congestion. Anyway, for a little over two years now I have been getting bi-weekly allergy immuno-therapy shots which has DRASTICALLY improved my allergies – and I’m no longer on ANY medication. My polyps have also disappeared completely. The shots are all natural – no chemicals. They simply inject you with small amounts of what you are allergic to (as determined by a simple skin-prick test) and gradually increase the doses until your immune system learns not to over-react anymore.

I think this type of treatment is available worldwide and I have to say it’s particularly appropriate for those of us with dry eye since most allergy medicines have a tendency to dry you out somewhat. The downside to it is that the effectiveness of it takes a while to be noticed – for me it was about 6 months, and of course you have to stick with the regimen for several years before you can begin to taper off or the effectiveness will wear off.

Anyway, it just might be something for you guys to look into…

Comment

Originally posted by Mika View Post

Gz9gjg you use mast cell stabilizer Tablets?? the oral form works?? i though you must have the eye drops form. moreover why you use nazal spray? I don't have nazal allergy. Only eyes allergies....

oh btw, have anyone here tried a mass cell stabilizer eye drop for a long long time?
                        Thank you

I do not know if there is an oral tablet with Mast Cell stabilizers, I doubt it. I was referring to an oral (tablet) antihistamine. The nasal spray I use is also an antihistamine. My allergy doctor tells me to use all of them - drops, nasal spray, and antihistamine tablets - when I have a bad allergy flare-up. I also use NSAID tablets (Aleve) to reduce inflammation.

I have used Patanol for several years now. I have not had any drying effects from it. But it is not sufficient to control all of my allergy symptoms, especially when the pollen or dust is bad.

If you are having ONLY eye symptoms, you should make sure you don't have an eye infection. A low-level eye infection can hang on for a long time, and can take a long time to clear up.

Comment

Working...
                        X