No announcement yet.

Hello again! Antidepressant question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just checking in on here.. i do hope you find something to help=and i know you will! it took me probably about 4 or 5 months to finally find something. Because i would try and exp the horrible side effects-the first i tried was cymbalta and i was told the side effects would wear off-so for about 2 weeks i kept taking it and the dryness only seemed to get worse (it was probably the same but i was so miserable it seemed worse)-but it def didn't get any better.

I too would suffer from insomnia -but it was from my mind not shutting off-the welbutrin in the am took about 3-4 weeks to kick in but eventually i began to sleep better and i didnt wake up so depressed-and again while i feel my eyes hurting off and on i don't obsess about it.. I did try to raise the dose from 150 to 300 but it was too much and after 2 weeks i cut back down. it is just so trial and error~~!!

good luck.. you will find something that will help!!! it took me a long time!

Comment

Dear abby girl

I have just been through the most depressing period ever in my life all due to dry eyes and lasik. I have tried cymbalta 60mg and 30mg and both dried out my eyes as did citalopram and escitalopram as they all have a drying effect on the mouth which is the same mechanism used in the eyes. Having said all this side effects affect people in differing ways so trial and error is best.

Comment

Thank- you all for your advice and well wishes. I am really back to square one on what to do/take for this unrelenting anxiety with a big dose of depression that is my everyday companion. I am realizing that it is an everyday battle for me now when before it was off and on. I stopped the Cymbalta after taking the first pill. My eye pressure was in the high 20's after taking it when my normal pressure is in the teens. Having Glaucoma in that eye means I really have to watch my pressures which adds more anxiety to my life!! Right now I am managing with an anti-anxiety med called Klonopin. I only take when needed but it does seem to get me thru the really rough times.

Comment

Originally posted by Faith1989 View Post
          Buntbean, were you depressed before your eye problems started happening? I was but now am even more, somehow i manage to hide it from people but deep down can't even think about how many restrictions i have now. For example, can only go shopping if i am having a good eye day, and even then they will probably flare before i am done. I don't even go out anymore unless i have to!
          -No, I got depressed because of the eye problem.
          -I've noticed I go through times where my eye problem seems to flare. I had a good summer (not that I had no symptoms but they were tolerable), but since the beginning of September I have been MISERABLE. That's when the sadness, anxiety, etc really effect me.
          -I don't drive more than an hour away from home. I only shop when it's a 'good' day. I am very careful about volunteering to do things because I'm afraid the day I commit to might be a bad eye day and then I'd disappoint someone.

Comment

Originally posted by abbygirl View Post
            Thanks DCR dryeye.. Yes, I have tried talk therapy when all of my eye problems started. It did help somewhat but I don't think she really "got it." I had alot more hope back then that this would resolve and now the reality has set in that I will be dealing with this the rest of my life. I have had 7 eye procedures in 5 years for retina tears, IOL implants etc. plus the dry eye.

Anyway!! I would be interested in the med you are taking and also you mentioned another one that might work for me. I mentioned Cymbalta so I hope that wasn't a problem. I would still have to get my doctors approval. At this point he is not sure what to do for me either!
            Sadly, they truly don't get it. Dry eye has so many levels to it. If you tell someone you have a headache and they've only experienced mild ones and you've got a migraine, it's impossible to get through to them. I'm not saying my therapist 'got it' she simply helped me to deal with my suicidal thoughts, panic attacks, and fear of the future. I saw her for about a year when this first started and then my doctor wanted me to see someone again a few years ago. That one was horrible and I only went once.

Comment

Working...
            X