Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the most economical commercial lid hygiene products?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the most economical commercial lid hygiene products?

I don't find lid hygiene helps my symptoms much, but when you wake up with your eyelids crusted half shut and a failure of hygiene results in your eyelashes falling out and visible crusting, you need to do some form of hygiene out of common sense.

Over the years I've found it didn't matter much exactly what I did, as long as I did it. For a long time, after trying a variety of lid hygiene products, I ended up just using water or washcloth in the shower and found it fine, but lately my eyes are just so crusty and gross I need a bit of help.

Commercial lid hygiene products are so incredibly expensive though here. The only products I have ever seen in pharmacies in OZ are lid care wipes and sterilid (and these still hard to come by). There must be something a bit cheaper than paying $40 for a tiny canister of sterilid or something like $15 for a tiny packet of lid care wipes, without resorting to baby shampoo.

I see there are a few products available on dry eye zone but they are not available in OZ so I don't know how they compare to the above products and whether they last longer and end up more economical. I am especially irritated by the fact that lid care wipes come in such a small packet, there seems to be no way to save by buying in bulk, is there somewhere I can buy in bulk online? If my memory serves me correctly, I also recall seeing sterilid available on dry eye zone for about $26 which is way cheaper than here, but its not there in the shop now, but maybe somewhere else I can buy it online for a more reasonable price? Can anyone help out by suggesting a comparable product that I can buy on dry eye zone or elsewhere on the internet that works out cheaper per use than what I'm paying?

Sterilid is available on Amazon for under $15.00.

Comment

My favorite is the OcuSoft Lid Scrub Foam that is sold here in the Dry Eye Shop. http://www.dryeyeshop.com/ocusoft-li...nser-p209.aspx

It's a large bottle (7.2oz) that lasts me for several months. I prefer it to the pre-moistened pads since those always seem harsh/scratchy on my lids and not moist enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by alisonW View Post
        My favorite is the OcuSoft Lid Scrub Foam that is sold here in the Dry Eye Shop. http://www.dryeyeshop.com/ocusoft-li...nser-p209.aspx

It's a large bottle (7.2oz) that lasts me for several months. I prefer it to the pre-moistened pads since those always seem harsh/scratchy on my lids and not moist enough for me.

Hi Allison,
        Sometimes, do you find that the less you mess with your eyes (scrubs, wetting drops, etc)
        the better they feel? When my eyes are feeling ok, I've begun to allow them to balance
        themselves out naturally. Sometimes, when they felt ok in the past and I would use scrubs
        or drops anyway, it seemed to negatively impact my eye film and actually cause problems.
        Regards,
        rppnj

Comment

Yes, but I'm now realizing that for me anyway, I need to keep up with everything or my eyes get worse.

I saw my eye doc yesterday and my MGD is the worst it's been (and I have been very lax about doing scrubs and heat, etc. lately since I felt it didn't make a difference). The glands are all blocked and a few were even "capped". He now thinks maybe I am onto something thinking demodex may be a problem for me (another doc I saw a few years ago completely dismissed this idea) but he doesn't have the right type of microscope to check and also said he was waiting to hear about a new treatment for it that was supposed to be available in a month or so.

I see him again in 8 wks and I'm on a low-dose antibiotic drop until then. I mentioned that a few weeks ago when my regular doc gave me drops for "pink eye" my eyes felt great while using those drops. Based on that he thinks I have some bacterial stuff going on and noted that my tear film is "dirty" - possibly all caused by demodex.

So, for me, even though felt the same the less I did to them, they were getting worse as a result - I just couldn't see or feel the difference - they burn pretty much all of the time regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by rppnj View Post
            Sterilid is available on Amazon for under $15.00.
            Wow, thanks. It's hard to understand why it costs $40 in a shop (and this is a major and usually very cheap pharmacy)

Comment

I'm in the uk and I use Blephasol or blephagel, although neither of them are cheap I find they dont irritate my eyes like baby shampoo.
              I have been round most of the chemists and opticians today to see if they could order in sterilid for me but none can get it or have even heard of it, Boots chemist thought Asda could order it in but I have just been on the phone to them and they can't get it.
              I dont suppose anyone knows if there is a comparable one to sterilid that is available in the uk?

Comment

I've been using a combo of Johnson's baby shampoo and then tea tree facial wash from Trader Joe's. Is the baby shampoo bad?

Comment

Hi Poppy,
                  My local discount chemist (chemist warehouse) has Sterilid for $24.00. I have looked and they have branches in Fyshwick and Phillip.
                  Hope this is helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Aussierose View Post
                    Hi Poppy,
                    My local discount chemist (chemist warehouse) has Sterilid for $24.00. I have looked and they have branches in Fyshwick and Phillip.
                    Hope this is helpful.
                    Thanks! Not as cheap as amazon but amazon have some fairly hefty shipping charges. With the Chemist Warehouse if I don't want to have to drive to Fyshwick I can get free shipping if I order over $100 worth. That is very helpful.

Comment

Working...
                    X