This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glasses, fashion, high visibility person

It seems that glasses as fashion was written about not too long ago in this forum. I did a search twice and looked back 6 pages, but couldn't find it.

I'm happy to see the new female vice-presidential nominee wearing high fashion glasses! I can't remember seeing a person in the media wearing glasses ALL THE TIME. I know we see Katie Couric trying to hide her reading glasses or pulling them off when the camera returns. I don't mean this.

Gov. Palin always wears her glasses and I, for one, love to see a fashionable person wearing glasses, period. Sort of makes lasik look less appealing. I don't expect 20/happy lasikees to understand, but this small things gives me a grin. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

I agree. She looks great and super fashionable. For the longest time I was mainly attracted to men with glasses-lets change the double standard- women look great in glasses! And, by the way (while I am on my high horse), women look just as charming as men when they age- only society tells us to fight it.

Comment

I honestly thought about sending her a letter to tell her not to take anyone up on any offers to perform LASIK on her. Do we expect they are only for fashion or are they readers, too?
      Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

At age 44, Di, they could be with bifocal or without. But, I doubt they're only for fashion. There has got to be a correction in there, otherwise why would a busy woman want to clean her specs several times a day with kids pulling on her? I'm wondering if she can't wear contact lens. I'll just settle for the glasses as a nice message. I don't look nearly as good in my specs. Lucy

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Hey Lucy - You look great with your shades ! - Very attractive and sporty looking
          I for one wear specs all the time and am pretty fashion concious - I think i look better with my specs since i got DE 2 years ago cos my eyes have become small red and puffy and i look as though i have been crying My specs make my eyes look bigger and hide the puffiness.Also since i dare not use eye makeup now ,i cant disguise these defects resulting from dry eye
          Anyway i need them all the time - I have never used contacts and certainly dont want lasik. I feel much better with my glasses on

Comment

I wonder if Lucy was remembering this thread from Feb 2007, which is now archived in the EYEWEAR (DAY) forum:
            http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...hlight=fashion
            Rojzen starts it; lots of people join in, including Cindy, who mentions finding stick-on bifocals for her motorcycle goggles, Lucy who fondly recalls her "Buddy Holly" sunglasses, and Rebecca Petris who had recently noticed a high-fashion ad in Europe for huge sunglasses.

Comment

1. Bingo, Mary, you were able to find the info I hunted for. There is so much info "back there" that I'm lost so I'm happy you found it. Thanks.

2. Stella, thanks. I wore specs my whole life from 7 on. Thick ones, too at almost -10 myopic. Never contacts, couldn't wear or stand them. After lasik, for a few weeks, I went "naked" as I waited for my eyes to settle down. I felt like a psycho. I did not like the way I looked (without my glasses.) I could dig that I was without the coke-bottles, but I really missed my glasses. Very soon, within a few weeks of lasik, I needed glasses again and have been in them in the almost 9 years since. (More than one pair, as my vision has fluctuated greatly.) My glasses are part of me, maybe a safety blanket?

3. Wish I looked like Sarah Palin in glasses. Oh well, that would take a lot more than just new frames.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

i know!!! i love it when i see a woman in glasses 24/7. it makes me feel better about having to wear them since lasik will never be an option and since i can't wear contact lenses anymore. tina fey is another woman who frequently sports glasses.... i'm sure y'all have seen this lately since it was noted how similar her and palin look and since she did her snl spoof of palin.

i am woman with glasses- hear me roar!
                -Amy

Comment

I think she looks great in her glasses too! A bunch of people I work with have very trendy frames as well. This reminds me that I will actually be back in glasses soon. I have an exam to check on my new plugs next week and I'm gonna ask for a refraction. After all this lasik mess, 3 years later I'm back to glasses. I actually don't really mind though. I've realized how much of a minor inconvenience they were compared to dry eye, so I'm going to wear them proudly (although I probably won't need them 24/7 yet since my eyes haven't regressed that badly). I plan to buy some nice fashionable frames, maybe even 2 pair so I can accessorize! That is what I should have done in the first place when I got sick of my glasses 3 years ago! I probably could have bought 20 pairs of fashionable frames for what lasik cost me. We should all be proud in our glasses!

Comment

I just got a pair of glasses with some bling on them...if you have to wear them might as well make it fun!!!!!!!!!!! Isnt it funny all the news reports on Palins glasses, the eyeglass companies are rushing to make copies of the design. Di, I bet the lasik companies are offering to do her surgery for free! I do wear my glasses proudly just wish I could see as well with them now as I did before the lasik. Everyone have a great day! Peggy

Comment

Gov. Palin and John McCain made an appearance about 45 miles away tonight. The link below is from their local paper talking about Sarah's glasses. I particularly love the remarks about lasik and new business for opticians. (I did not join the mob to see them.) Was funny about this paper article I saw online though. Lucy

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/news/in...ins_glass.html

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Glasses look so smart on Sarah... exaggerating the fact that the absence of glasses on my face (via LASIK and all its baggage) looks well, kind of stupid.

Comment

Lucy and D

Look at you to with your specs on.

They look just as cool who needs a celebrity or vice-presidential nominee when we have you two good looking celebrities to admire all to ourselves.

Big glasses are in, just as well, cleaning out a drawer, I found some of my early 80's specs, what a hoot, I could have saved a fortune and just got 1 lens fitted it just about covered both eyes.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Palin

I work now in the optical industry and her specs have been all the rage
                            If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Comment

Why thank you, Ian.

I can sense that some day foam goggles will be so "in," and that Lucy and I will have been the ones to lead the way. My photo album finally came up properly. I believe the pics needed to be okay'd by Rebecca. I can understand her need to censor.

D

Comment

Working...
                              X