This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Eye and Working on the Computer All Day

I’m 60 years old, so of course I have presbyopia. If that weren’t enough I’m diabetic so my vision can vary a bit from day to day, and since I spend long hours working on a computer I’ve developed dry eye. I'm between stage 2 and stage 3 depending on the day and time of year. So basically, I can't bend the lenses in my eye with a crowbar. I have no ability to change focal length with my eye muscles the way people generally do.

Early in the morning I can read, work on the computer and see distances fairly well. I’m a plus prescription so my reading is the issue. The more I write or look at my computer screen, the worse my vision gets. As I work throughout the day, my vision declines.. By early evening I can’t see much that isn’t blurry or distorted. Sometimes by dinner time, I can no longer read at all, or if I do read I have to live with the blurry words. I’m normally a very fast reader, but I can’t read fast when I can’t see well.

My right eye seems to be worse than my left. A lot of times my left eye is still in focus while my right eye has gone out of focus. Because of the binocular effect, when both eyes are open the print is somewhat blurry. This is very annoying.

I need to use the computer for my work, so giving that up is out of the question. I tried several solutions to keep me working. I took frequent breaks, used eye drops (practically every brand made), bought tranquileyes and used hot compresses on my eyes a couple of times a day. All of them worked but only for a few minutes and then the problems came right back. In addition, it is difficult to stop working every hour and use hot towels and the other stuff. It really cuts my productivity.

In September I read an article in the Wall Street Journal about a pair of glasses that had won the Journal’s Silver award for innovation. Essentially, Trufocals have a lens in them that bend just like the natural lens in a human eye. In front of the inner lens is another lens that has an individual’s prescription in it. That means that in addition to your specific prescription, the focal length is adjustable up to an add of 2.75. It's the same as having a variable lens like they use in your eye doc's office to fit you with glasses.

I got my first pair the first week of November, and so far they’ve made a huge difference in the number of hours that I’m able to work in a day, and at night I can adjust them so I can read. I’ve had to fight blurry vision for years at night.

I suspect the ability to refocus has reduced the strain on my eyes by a considerable amount. Since I started using the glasses, my eyes don't seem to be as dry or as tired. At night I can see better with my regular glasses, even though the Trufocals are better. I can read much better than before. I read an issue of Kiplinger's magazine the other night at 12:30 am. That would have been impossible during the last 3 years or so.

If you want to learn about them, go to the Superfocus website or google Wall Street Journal and Trufocals. Popular Science gave them an innovation award also. I was skeptical as to whether they would help my problems in particular. I knew the glasses could replace progressives and bifocals, especially for people that have multiple pairs of glasses, but my problems are more complicated than that. The Superfocus people have a 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee so if I didn’t like them or they didn’t work I could send them back. For me that was the deciding factor, and after a few weeks of using them I’m definitely not sending them back.

At the end of November I ordered a second pair because if anything happens to these I’m back in the same vision nightmare I’ve been in for several years. That’s not going to happen, so I’ll keep a spare pair handy.

The glasses range in price from $700 to $900. They make them to your prescription so it takes a few weeks to get them. If you give them this code when you order either by phone or online SO-001153 they’ll give you a 10% discount. The superfocus website gives you all the information you need to place an order. I posted a blog entry on their site that explains more about my problems, and how I test my glasses. google superfocus blog

The prescription lenses on the front pop off so you can order multiple pairs of lens for $80 a pair if your prescription changes or like in my case, you want to have adjustment options. Because the lens are round, you can switch the left and right eye around. Of course normally you wouldn't want to do that because of your script, but it's handy for buying spare lens to correct gradually as my right eye fades. (My correction is a plus correction for farsightedness. Nearsightedness corrections are minus corrections.) So I ordered an extra set of lens with same right eye astigmatism correction in each lens but one lens was +0.25 add in the sphere correction and the other one was +0.50 add in sphere correction. That way when my right eye gets worse, I can change the right lens on the Trufocal glasses which brings the left and right eye back into balance and then I can refocus both eyes so the text is sharp on the computer or when I'm reading. I also have a set of lens that increases the sphere in the right and left eye so on the really bad days it gives me more focal distance correction using the Trufocal slide. For most people the trufocals slider changes the focal length so much that's all they'll ever need. In fact, One set of trufocals are adjustable enough I could have skip the last two script revisions and not bought new $600 a pair progressives. I have to have special progressive lens that shops like Walmart and Costco don't sell so they're expensive.

There are a lot of user reviews out there and some video that demonstrates the glasses. google trufocals reviews and you'll see plenty of independent discussion.

They’ve worked very well for me. It's has given me a way to compensate for my right eye which seems to become blurry quicker than my left eye.

Not being able to work is very frustrating. At least it is for me.
    Last edited by jackolso; 03-Dec-2010, 13:49.

hi i've just been reading your posts and you posted something similar on november 18th.Don't be surprised if you get any posts saying your trying to promote these trufocals.

Comment

Deleted

Deleted post.
      Last edited by jackolso; 04-Dec-2010, 20:32.

Comment

Jackolso,

Please read my private message. This really is too much of the same thing on a topic that is of questionable relevance to our readership.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Computer Vision Syndrome

Here's a link to a really good article on computer vision syndrome. I struggle with it myself. It causes me a lot of different issues including some dry eye, and lot of focus problems.

http://www.mdsupport.org/library/cvs.html

Comment

Update on New Lenses

In the Dry Eye Triumphs Section under Finally Found Something that Works! I posted a description of my experiences with the new lenses I ordered for my Superfocus glasses. The new lenses have made the glasses even more effective, so I have less eye strain throughout the day which means less blurry vision and less dry eye.

Happy Holidays to everyone

Comment

Forum computer glitch posted my new message twice.

Comment

Two software programs

In addition to the Superfocus glasses, which I'm wearing now, I'm also using the two software programs which I mentioned under the post about Monitor Brightness and Color Temperature and the one on New Software Helps Me Read Text Easier.

F Lux and No Squint

Don't overlook them. My glasses and the two programs have really reduced my eye strain which helps my dry eye. Most days I would now be diagnosed at an early stage 2 rather than a stage 3. That makes a lot of difference. My dry eye isn't gone but it's under much better control. I can work far more hours than I could only a few months ago.

Comment

I just posted Update 3 on the triumph's page under Finally Found Something that Works.

Comment

I just posted Update 4 on the triumph's page under Finally Found Something that Works. Unfortunately, this one isn't good news. I've had a small relapse. But we shall overcome.

Comment

computer suggestions

Hi,

I know this is somewhat of an old thread -- but here are my practical tips for computer use and dry eye. I am not trying to promote any products - but, merely pass along suggestions.

1) Ergonomics. You can go to the American Optometric Association for resources about this as well as suggestions for avoiding computer vision syndrome. i.e. If you're looking down at the monitor, it eliminates neck strain if you have bifocals and go back and forth between distance and near.
                      http://www.aoa.org/x5253.xml

2) Have a pair of eyeglasses made that are bifocals -- with the distance part being set to 2 feet (or however far away your monitor is) - and, with reading addition on the bottom. Ask an optician how to do this.

3) Consider getting an anti-glare screen for your computer monitor. 3M is one such manufacturer.

4) If you spend just gobs of time on the computer - there are even more specialized lenses -- one that I'm aware of is made by Gunnar. go here for an explanation:
                      http://www.gunnars.com/i-amp-lens-technology/

hope that helps
                      Nikki

Comment

Working...
                      X