Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does reading cause damage to dry eyes?

Reading has been very frustrating for me, not only because my eyes feel dry and my vision gets blurry after reading for a short time, but I also worry whether I am doing further damage to my dry eyes by continuing to read. I stop often, and put in Optive (or Blink or Thera Tears without preservative when it seems that Optive is irritating my eyes). But I have this nagging worry that reading may be causing permanent damage. My eyeglasses prescription is up to date, and when I can't focus on the small print anymore after reading for a little while (or reading at all in the evenings- it's worse at night), I use a magnifying glass. I am not a big reader- I don't read novels, but I like to read newspapers and magazine/journal articles and do puzzles in the newspaper. I try to do some of the reading on the computer, where I have the f.lux program and also can enlarge the print, but I am not sure if this is helping or prolonging the problem. My eyes feel tired and strained when I read, whether on or off the computer. I wonder if there is any research showing whether or not reading causes permanent damage to dry eyes.

I love reading, but had almost given up because of the pain and problems associated with it. I don't think it could cause permanent damage directly, but the staring and squinting could maybe make eye problems worse which could then go on to become permanent. I doubt if it is any worse than any other form of seeing. I have never heard of any direct research on reading, it does not sound like the sort of thing money would be put towards though it might make a good project for a student!

I was given a Kindle and it has made an enormous difference to me. I use a largish font anyway but when my eyes are bad I can make the type much bigger. The relief of seeing without straining has made me realise how bad things were before. Also realised that I was holding my eyes wide open trying to focus which made my dry eye worse. There is no back light to the Kindle so it is gentler on the eyes than a computer.

You can get magazines on the Kindle and journal papers can be converted automatically. I have never seen a newspaper so I don't know how good that would be.

I was using a magnifying glass but I think we need really good quality ones. In the UK, the RNIB which supports blind and partially sighted people, sells a lot of aids which can help. There may be special newspaper editions or digests for the partially sighted and I have seen large print puzzle books. My local library brings me audio books and large print ones.

I also have a good quality light which shines on anything I am reading.

I hope you find something to help, living with ocular disease is bad enough without losing something which you enjoy.

R.

Comment

My eyes get very sore and strained with reading and it leads to a blinding headache. Unfortunately my job requires lots of reading and without taking a pain killer to manage my eye pain and accompanying headaches I'd have to quit my work.

Comment

Thanks Rowanberry. I use my iPad for reading books, since I can make the print larger there too, but I can't use the f.lux program on the iPad unless I use jailbreak to allow the f.lux program app to download. But jailbreak would open my iPad to hackers, so I decided against it, and instead I just dim the screen- but it is not as good a solution as f.lux. I have also heard about programs for the blind here in the US (NY) where I could get newspapers read to me. So far, I'm not there yet, but it's good to know that such services exist.
        Judy

Comment

I know the feeling, DCR I had lost my job due to funding cutbacks a few months before my dry eyes started, and I have not been able to find a new job. Part of that is because there are very few jobs in my field (social work) and part of it is because in order to get a social work job now, I would have to either re-train in a field where social workers are being hired (military and substance abuse) or drive a long distance. I can't do either of those options with my dry eyes. Luckily I am in my 60's and can retire if I want to, but I had hoped to continue working for several more years. I guess that I am lucky because it is possible for me to retire, so I shouldn't complain. But severe limitations on driving and reading are life-changing problems. It is a hot sunny summer now in NY, and it's very uncomfortable to go outside during the day.
          Judy

Comment

Good to know about the Kindle. My parents gave me one of their old ones but I've been afraid to use it because I thought it might be too similar to the computer. If it's easier to use than books, I'll start using it. I don't have vision problems due to dry eye but my computer use definitely makes the dry eye worse, so I've been wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by PotatoCakes View Post
              Good to know about the Kindle. My parents gave me one of their old ones but I've been afraid to use it because I thought it might be too similar to the computer.
              PC, actually Kindle is lots better than computer in part because you're looking down instead of forward. If you're at a computer screen right now try looking at it, then looking down at your keyboard and note what your eyelids are doing. The exposed area of cornea is dramatically reduced when you look down, even though you're moving your head too, so it lowers evaporation and also decreases disturbance to the tear film from drafts/fans/a/c.

I'm glad this keeps coming up on the forum because I always seem to forget to mention it to people. In fact for people making their eyes sore by reading DryEyeTalk you'd probably be better off reading it on an iPad or other tablet.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by heyjude0701 View Post
                Reading has been very frustrating for me, not only because my eyes feel dry and my vision gets blurry after reading for a short time, but I also worry whether I am doing further damage to my dry eyes by continuing to read.
                Hi hj0701,

So are you basically getting eyestrain because of blurring from increased dryness when you read?

I'd set your mind at rest about permanent damage. It's not going to damage your cornea (e.g. scarring, if you get too dry) unless you're dry enough to get erosions or ulcers which I gather isn't the case...and I don't think there's any evidence that your tear producing system can be harmed by reading. Of course, when your eyes are telling you "I can't see anymore" it's kind of a self-policing problem

Have you tried goggles? Something that retains more moisture around your eyes might keep the vision from degrading so quickly.

If you have a good optometrist you might want to ask about whether a slightly different prescription for evenings might be helpful?
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks Rebecca. Is there such a thing as off-the-shelf reading goggles in 2.5 or 2.75 diopters? Judy

Comment

Not that I know of but maybe somebody else will know?

What I really love is the Optx2020 stick-on readers (they come in +2.5 or +3.0 but not 2.75)... can slap them on any cheapo goggle and it can work well... unfortunately they have been out of production for some time because they've been building a new facility. Last I heard they were expecting to be back online this summer so I'm hopeful it won't be too long.
                    Rebecca Petris
                    The Dry Eye Foundation
                    dryeyefoundation.org
                    800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks for the info, Rebecca! I will be looking forward to trying them when they are back
                      Judy

Comment

Just to second the tablet advice. I got a tablet for my birthday and find it so much easier to surf the web on it than a regular PC. Wasn't really sure why that was but now I know!

Comment

I was really surprised at the different reading from an iPad made compared to a computer screen. I was very doubtful at first. One of the benefits is the angle I can hold the iPad at so I'm looking down more. But overall it's definitely kinder to eyes than a computer screen.

One of the major benefits of the Kindle is that it's not backlit like a tablet or computer, so combined with the increased font size it is actually easier on the eyes than a book.

If only f.lux was available for iPad!
                          The eye altering, alters all - William Blake

Comment

Reading newspaper, my eye got wet, the plugged eye got tear flow out

Reading at computer, eye dry and afriad the light. Continous looking at computer, yellowish secretion at the eye and imflammation starts...

Comment

You can get f.lux on the iPad if you use Jailbreak, but I have been advised not do that because Jailbreak will expose my iPad to hackers. I dimmed the screen, but it is not the same, f.lux is so much better.

Comment

Working...
                              X