X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humidifiers

Hi all,
    Just wanted to let you know that I bought my mother (a Sjogren's sufferer) an Air-O-Swiss Model 7410 humidifier. It is an ultrasonic unit, meaning no noisy fans-in fact, its nearly silent. I am impressed with the unit, despite the 200.00 price tag. It has anti-microbial protection and a cool digital display with an intergrated hygrometer. This allows you to set the desired level of humidity and go on about your business. Like that lunatic Ron Popeil used to say on all of those QVC ads for that rotisserie thing; "Just set it.....and forget it!" It also gives you the option of cool or warm mist. Air-O-Swiss seems to make a good product, although the replacement mineral filters and "silver sticks" aren't cheap. I personally use a Venta Sonic unit, not an Airwasher, though made by the same folks. It doesn't have the "cool" factor of the Air-O-Swiss (which is important because I'm a young male) but it more than gets the job done at half the price, so I reccomend it as well. Had to get the best for Mom though, right? Both humidifiers are available at Bed Bath & Beyond. One last tip-the evaporative style humidifiers are effective, but they take MUCH longer to humidify a room than an ultrasonic type. This is probably because the atmosphere within a room has to be relatively warm and dry in order for the water to evaporate. If you prefer your temps a little on the cooler side during the winter (60-65 deg. F) like I do, its gonna take a little while before you notice a change in humidity. I have had the best results leaving a evap. humidifier on low for several hours for optimal results. On the other hand, an ultrasonic humidifier will emit a nice visible fog of water vapor as soon as you turn it on. i also find they are much quieter. Here's an alternative method if you have a smallish apartment, especially a loft. Set a pot of water on the stove and let it boil for a while. It'll get moisture into the air very quickly! Use this as an excuse to make spaghetti more often. Turn on your ceiling fan for a bit and blow it around that nice, moist air. Try it, it works!
    Be well everyone
Working...
X