This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom moisture chamber glasses - Mark at "Special Eyes" in Winnipeg

In case anyone is interested... I just got back from my appointment... picked out a nice frame to be made into custom moisture chambers... how cool to have found someone in Canada that does this!

I'll report back after they are completed... I'm quite hopeful that they will perform as well as my Wiley's, yet look enough like regular glasses to not be too terribly conspicuous for work...

After seeing samples of some of his work, I think he seems to be really good at what he does... too bad there aren't more like him that can help people like us!

...he's retiring in September though...
    Last edited by SAAG; 10-May-2010, 19:39.

I just put an order in for Wiley's with a rx in them. It cost a bundle and I'll still look like a freak - but a freak with more comfortable eyes. May I ask what the price range is for your custom chamber glasses? I feel like the Wiley's will be good but not good enough and would like to pursue custom glasses. Please excuse the question if it is too rude...

Comment

whoops... somehow posted twice

Comment

Originally posted by katiedid View Post
        I just put an order in for Wiley's with a rx in them. It cost a bundle and I'll still look like a freak - but a freak with more comfortable eyes. May I ask what the price range is for your custom chamber glasses? I feel like the Wiley's will be good but not good enough and would like to pursue custom glasses. Please excuse the question if it is too rude...
        It's not rude at all...

Basically, just figure out how much regular rx glasses would normally cost you, then add on another $160 for the moisture chamber part of it.

He can only make them from frames that go all around the lenses ... so any frame style where the lens is not completely bordered by the frame won't work. Also, he said he prefers to work with metal frames...

About the freak part... I can totally relate.. I'm starting to accept it finally though... for a long time it's been hard because the LASIK that was supposed to make me not wear glasses at all ended up causing me to wear freaking GOGGLES.. OMG... I mean honestly... what the hell?!?! That is just wrong... I mean really...

Oh well... like you said... looking like a freak is outweighed by the increase in comfort

And, well, like I said, surprisingly, some people actually LIKE my MEG's... and as for the Wiley's, a friend pointed out the other day that she actually thinks they look BETTER than those fit-over sunglasses lenses that people wear over their rx glasses... so try not to feel to bad over the Wiley's

Comment

pictures

I want pics and a few at angles...and also how does he do an exact fit and what are they made of?

Comment

I think they are similar to the Eagle Vision side shields... you can check that out on their site... once he gets them onto the frames, I have to come in and he will trim the side shields to fit my face as closely as possible without leaving big indents in my skin from wearing from... ie. if he trims TOO close, I'll get indents, so he tries to avoid that.

I'll post more about this fine tuning once I get to that stage... I assume at the moment they're waiting for my lenses to come in?? and maybe the frames too??

Comment

Wow!!

Ok guys... I just got home from picking up my custom moisture chambers... they look absolutely freaking fabulous! Seriously. I look like a perfectly normal person wearing perfectly normal glasses!

In fact, they look SO normal, that if I were back in my 20's again, and wanted to go to the bar with my friends (or club or whatever you call it where you live), I could wear these and I bet NO-ONE would notice a thing... seriously. They look THAT normal!

I can walk as fast as I want and the air movement doesn't bother my eyes... there is hardly any of it that gets through these things. For sure if I was outside in the wind, that would be a different story... but for the kind of breeze you get from walking indoors, these are 99.9% as good as wearing Wiley's.

I was staring at myself in the mirror, and you can only see the moisture chamber part if you really really stare, and catch it at JUST the right angle... and even then, you can barely see it. So as you can imagine, since the general public will NOT be looking for any crazy moisture chambers, regular people you run into are NOT likely to notice these. VERY COOL!

These have FAR FAR FAR exceeded my expectations!

He worked for 1.25 hours to get the moisture chamber part trimmed just right... but it was totally worth the wait... there's lots of putting them on...see how they feel... take them off... trim a bit... put them on again... trim a bit more... etc... it's finicky work, but with patience, you can get them just right. How cool!

I know some of you had asked me before for pictures... I will get some on here as soon as I get a chance.. but you know what? When you see the pics, you will be amazed... you won't see a thing!

Comment

Hi SAAG, what material did he use? Where can we get this material, maybe we can try and make them ourselves if we have this material?

Comment

Great news! I can hardly wait to see pictures!

C

Comment

What he uses is like that clear plastic you might use to protect a tablecloth... it seems to be just right in terms of thickness... it's stiff enough to hold its shape and all...

I don't think I'd have the patience to do it myself and make my own look this good...he just did such a perfect job of fitting the plastic... it fits in between the lens and frame perfectly with no gaps, and nothing sticking out the front... and then there's the trimming to do.. he used what looked like manicure scissors for that.

But hey, if you have any luck with making your own, let us know!

Comment

So I've been trying to upload a few pics... but it won't let me... I've tried doing them as .JPEG (can't get it to be the lower case version... not sure if that matters)... since this didn't work, I then copied the images into a word doc... so that file extension was .docx ... that wouldn't upload either.

All images are small file sizes (less than 50 kb each)...

Any solution to this?

Comment

Have pics at last!

Ok.. couldn't get the pics to upload on the forum itself, but it DID work when I added the pics to my forum blog.

So... just click on the link in the upper right corner of my posts to see my blog entries... there's only 2... one of them is the one with moisture chamber pics.

Comment

first I want to say..you are beautiful!

Even with your new glasses...they are soo cool girl! I wish I could get some! Maybe he knows of people that can make them in washington state???? You defintely can go out with those things! good find girl!

I find it amazing there is a huge pool of people trying to find fashionable glasses...they could make millliooooooooonnnnnnnssssss....haha If anyone knows someone that wants to create a new business....tell them!

Comment

Amazing--you really can't see the shields. I call that SUCCESS! Kudos to your optician.

Calli

Comment

If I understood correctly when he explained it to me, the frame must go all the way around the lens, and it is preferable to use a metal frame rather than plastic. As you can imagine, those requirments don't limit you much at all when choosing a frame since there are still a TON of choices out there.

I'm going back next week though ... his shop wasn't drafty at all, so they felt perfect in there... but when I wore them at work, where it is quite drafty (great for fresh air... bad for dry eyes), too much air was getting through... soooo... will get them closed up a bit more for more protection, and that should do the trick nicely!

Anyhow, I'm really really glad I have these... if you can find someone within a reasonable distance of where you live to make these, you'll be SOOOO glad you did it! I found out about this place from a LensCrafters... asked the optician there if he knew anyone that did this... he wasn't familiar with moisture chamber glasses, but said if anyone in the city could do it, it would be Mark at Special Eyes... I was surprised that someone at a chain store in the mall would know this... so it was a nice surprise. Maybe some of you might have similar luck!

Oh... one more thing... in case someone comes along that might benefit from this...

You know how I mentioned that he is retiring in September? Well, he showed one of the other opticians in the store how do make these... also, his son is an optician here in the city and is also able to do this.... not sure where his son works though... anyhow... good to know of other options for post-September.

Comment

Working...
                              X