PanOptyx users please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PanOptyx users please help

I have been perusing the PanOptyx site. I am going to get some goggles and since I see my but.....er.......doc tomorrow, I'll bring it up and get his advice.

I think Erik posted that he has RX lens. I would also order RX lens. Although it probably doesn't make any difference since I can't see anyhow.
    One thing that surprised me was that bifocals are available. OH, Now I get it. Not progressive bifocals which I'm used to, but the old flat liners. However, I think I could adjust if need be.

I've heard/seen two people post about having the Viento frame. Also remarks that it's good for smaller faces. Please, input from anyone who has PanOptyx, especially in RX and/or bifocals, and comments about frames. (I know Erik is too young to need bifocals, but maybe someone else has them.)

Thanks so much,
    Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Lucy,

I wear the Vientos as you know, but there are other frames for women in their product line. You need to find the best fit you can. The ideal way for you to determine what works for you is to find a location (via the Panoptx web site) that carries a wide variety of the Panoptx frames to try on. For me, this location turned out to be a huge Harley Davidson store.

I'll admit, walking in to this store for the first time I felt like a virgin. I laughed at myself when I realized I was wearing a Mickey Mouse t-shirt. But the people who helped me with the goggles really knew the Panoptx line and were very helpful. Everybody in the store knows that I had LASIK and wear Panoptx goggles nearly all day long.

Once you determine your frame choice, there are several other options in lens type, etc. I guess if you're getting custom lenses, you'll be ordering. I got lucky this week when I bought my second pair. They actually had exactly what I wanted in stock.

Either way, expect to spend a bundle.

D
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

I too have the Viento model, because it fits my face well (creating a nice moisture seal) and doesn't look too "droopy." Many goggles look droopy because we naturally look down a lot (i.e., to read, etc) and so they have more glass below your eyes than above them (if that makes sense), but the Vientos don't look so bad in the mirror (to me at least, though the face behind them...). I also like the Kona model but have not sprung for them yet. There are others that fit well, but don't look as good. The one thing the vientos lack is a good way to clean them--like removable foam. The Rxtype actually have two lenses on each side (the sunglass lens and the Rx lens) and water actually gets in between the two when I wash them. It clears out eventually, but for a pair of $450 spec, this bugs me.

Comment

Here we go again (maybe)

I pulled up an old thread where I had questions re: Panoptyx. I lost my famous Buddy Holly glasses over July 4th week and miss them very much. For those not in the know, my Buddy Holly's were ugly dark framed wraparound glasses with transition lenses. They looked pretty good when in sunglass mode, but with the dark, heavy frames indoors looked pretty bad. I had them for 4 years and will miss them sadly.

I'm actually looking for another pair of something like I had if I can find it with a frame that is not so gross looking. Not sure if I can manage this or not.

Which again brings me to Panoptyx. I was out of state and was looking at goggles to try on. The Vienetos were not "there" as someone had borrowed them overnight. Well, I had to get on a plane the next morning, so I didn't get to see them or try them on. Are these something that would look gross wearing as everyday glasses? I have spent a fortune on glasses recently. Just before I lost my Buddy Holly's, I bought a pair of glasses before my insurance ran out. The insurance only covered a pittance of the $500.

I'll check out our Harley store here, but Diana or Erik........would you wear these as everyday indoor-outdoor glasses? Would they be heavy or uncomfortable for alltime wear? I know you can only give me your "opinion."

Thanks, Lucy

I will need RX and progressive bifocals.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

The honest truth, Lucy, is that I don't wear my goggles indoors much. This is somewhat stupid, because now that I live in the swamps of Georgia, indoors is where I need them the most. But they look very strange and out-of-place indoors, though outdoors, they seem pretty natural. I wear them almost every time I am in the car, though.

I have considered making the "leap" to wearing them all the time, but mentally am not quite there yet. Most people at my work don't know about my eye problems, and I would rather keep it that way, though I know there is nothing to be ashamed of.

Having said that, the vientos look far better to me than any other Rx-able specs I have tried. Ever. I have found some non-rx goggles which look pretty decent, but my prescription is significant now, with continued regression--about a negative 1.25 - 1.5 in both eyes.

I certainly feel better with the panoptyx glasses on, though.

--Erik

Comment

Lucy,

Here's what I know. I have three pairs of the Viento frame: a light lens for when it's dark outside and one that I feel is safer for driving, and two darker pairs so that when I send one back to have foam replaced occasionally I have a spare. I'm addicted to these as you know and wouldn't even run out to check the mail without them.

Regarding comfort...
            Many a day I wore the Vientos outside and in. I've had bad enough days where that seemed to help a bit. They can't be eat for comfort. If I'm outside I normally use the strap; If I'm inside, I normally don't.

I don't feel self-conscious with the dark vientos on. It just looks like I prefer sunglasses that aren't stylish and I can live with that. They aren't so stupid looking that they attact attention.

On the other hand, when I'm wearing my lighter colored lenses, an onlooker can see my eyes when I wear them. The thicker foam around them is also quite noticeable giving the goggles actually what I call a "Buddy Holly" look. I am self-conscious when I wear these. The darker lens hides all this completely. I normally reserve my lighter lens for movie theaters and driving. They could easily be worn outside after dark also if I'm out with the kids and I need protection. Nobody really sees me in these situations anyway.

I hope that helps you make a decision.

Would I wear them as everyday glasses? I just don't know. If the lenses were dark, I might. My eyes do way better in darkness anyway. What choice would I have if I needed to?

Comment

Cleaning Panoptx

My doctor ordered me panoptx (also vientos). Since the padding isn't removable how do I keep the glasses clean?
              -Amy

Comment

Having said that, the vientos look far better to me than any other Rx-able specs I have tried. Ever. I have found some non-rx goggles which look pretty decent, but my prescription is significant now, with continued regression--about a negative 1.25 - 1.5 in both eyes.
                Thanks to a goofey lasik first-cataract iol later, I have a -4.3 in one eye and about a -1.25 in the eye without the iol. This just might not be possible with that RX. That's one thick lens and one much thinner. Duh. It will be a very fish-bowl effect.

I will go to the Harley Davidson place without hubby this time to look at goggles. He was hyper and I didn't feel like looking with him there. I'll also ask Dr. Butcher about the possibilities. He has a wonderful optical shop in his building. They have fit me for many years and I've always been a tough customer with high diopter lens and usually get kid's frames. Thanks to all for your help. I will also look at any styles the optical shop may have at their place. I wouldn't have to wear them "all the time." I do have regular glasses for when I need to look normal.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I have the Sirocco with the removeable pad. I just glanced at the website and it looks like they are cheaper than the Viento. I like them a lot. In fact I won't go outside without them. I got them as sunglasses (outdoors only) but I am thinking about getting a non tinted pair to wear when I'm on the computer.
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

Amy,

Regarding cleaning the goggles...

It is suggested not to use soap on the Panoptx due to a anti-fog film that is used on the inside of the lens. I use water on them and rub it around. They come clean pretty nicely, but it takes a long time for the foam to dry. If I wear the frames when the fog is wet, they steam up. This is usually the only time I have any fogging in them luckily.

There is also a cloth that should have come with your frames...this is I believe the only one approved for use on the lenses. The cloth is a silky one much like the kind given out with any other. It works well, particularly with the water spots I get on the lenses when I've washed them and let them air dry.

If the foam falls apart, which it will and does, the frames need to be sent back to the company for repair. They have a one year warrantee on the foam and mine always goes bad sooner. If you are beyond the warrantee there is a fee. Either way, they are very efficient in getting them done and returned.

Diana

Comment

for those of you tired of this thread.....

I went to the Harley dealer today. The Vieneto fit perfectly. However, I then tried on the Sirocco, which as Rebecca said has removable foam. The fit was decent. Not as snug, but I'm leaning towards a Sirocco. If I can be fit with my RX and a progressive bifocal, plus transition lens, I'd have an all around pair of glasses. I have my regular specs for when I need to look normal.

I see the dr next week. I'll phone Panoptx and ask about my RX and have the best info possible to give to my doc. I may have spelled the names of the frames wrong, but I'm not looking back for correction. Thanks to all for the input. The removable foam sounds like a winner. If I could just buy off the rack, I'd have 2 or 3 like Diana. I'm likely looking at 5 bills for mine.

Lucy

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I spoke with Rosemary Healy at Panoptx and she was most helpful. She is forwarding (by fax) information to my doc's office for my appointment tomorrow. I'm going to have my RX put in the Sirocco frame. I inquired about bifocals. She said they were just beginning to make progressives available in RX lens. I will be trying this. I am taking a chance because this can be a mess with a fishbown effect dur to the curve of the lens etc. I need relief so badly, I am willing to risk this.

I'd urge anyone needing special info from Panoptx to work with Rosemary. She urged me that they would go the extra mile to help me with a good fit. I did go to the local Harley dealer and try on the frames.
                        Lucy

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy
                          I'd urge anyone needing special info from Panoptx to work with Rosemary.
                          Emphatically seconded. She's terrific. - I got the Sirocco sight unseen by the way (she looked at my picture here and thought it would be right for me) and they fit quite well.
                          Rebecca Petris
                          The Dry Eye Foundation
                          dryeyefoundation.org
                          800-484-0244

Comment

Becca, what color did you get? I wish the Vieneto came with removable foam, but it doesn't. With the Sirocco, I can have a spare set of foam inserts. I'm ordering the bronze crystal frames. Will we be twins?

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy
                              Will we be twins?
                              Yupppppppppp

(I only put all the p's on because it wouldn't let me make a post less than 10 characters. The joys of technology.)
                              Rebecca Petris
                              The Dry Eye Foundation
                              dryeyefoundation.org
                              800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                              X