X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Compress Techniques

Hi everyone,

I want to do hot compresses on my eyes similar to what you would get done with LipiFlow (if you don't know how the LipiFlow hot compress works see this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-9T8-AYz6hA). However, I'm not sure how I can do it.

I want to do a hot compress at exactly 42.5 degrees Celsius (or at least between 40 and 45) just like LipiFlow. Does anyone have any ideas of how I could get a small instrument that would stay warm for at least 5 minutes at approximately the same temperature (ideally 42.5 degrees Celsius)?

The only ideas I have are:
    1. Put my face under the shower spray (although I won't know the temperature of the water if I do this)
    2. Put my face under water in a bath tub (I'd need to breath somehow though)
    3. Use a tea bag

Some ideas that haven't worked for me are:
    1. Rice baggy (the temperature fluctuates too much and it's too big to target just the areas I want).
    2. Hot wet cloth (it cools down super quick, and again, it's too big to target just the areas I want).
    3. TranquilEyes. They don't stay hot long enough plus there's no way for me to know what their temperature is.

Thanks for your help!

http://www.spectrum-thea.co.uk/bleph...ephasteam.aspx
    Blephasteam from Spectrum Thea. Haven't tried them yet. Still using MGDRx flaxseed Eyebag.

'Meibum from subjects with MGD were observed to begin melting at 35°C, whereas meibum from normal subjects started to melt at 32°C (6). It is important in MGD patients to warm the eyelids up to 40°C to ensure successful melting and outflow of obstructing meibum.'
    'What temperature is reached by Blephasteam®? The safety and efficacy of Blephasteam® have been evaluated in many clinical studies. The level of temperature and moisture combined with the length of the treatment has been shown to be safe and comfortable for use. Blephasteam® heats your eyelids to 40°C, which has been demonstrated to be sufficient to melt the obstructing meibum with no risk to your eyes and eyelids.'
    'Safety: Blephasteam® has been designed and developed to ensure efficacy and safety. The temperature of the eyelids never rose above 40°C.'
    Last edited by littlemermaid; 07-Dec-2011, 13:10.
    Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Originally posted by Tankie View Post
      I want to do a hot compress at exactly 42.5 degrees Celsius (or at least between 40 and 45) just like LipiFlow. Does anyone have any ideas of how I could get a small instrument that would stay warm for at least 5 minutes at approximately the same temperature (ideally 42.5 degrees Celsius)?
      My doctor told me that eggs hold their heat the longest. He told me to boil 2 eggs, wrap them in warm, wet washclothes and hold over eye lids. The eggs can be reused.

Dr. Hovanesian from Harvard Eye in CA (he's one of the doctors involved in LipiFlow) talks about using a microwaved potato in this 2008 video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSF45Wx9BOE

It's amazing that LipiFlow heats to 42.5* C and doesn't burn (I know it doesn't because I've had the treatment). And I don't know if you can take the temperature of your compress, egg or potato to compare! But often people burn their lids at some point doing hot compresses at home. So please be careful.
      Last edited by spmcc; 07-Dec-2011, 16:11.

Comment

Thank you both. You've given me some extra ideas . I'll make sure I'm careful and not burn myself.

Comment

Hi Tanki,
          You can use a facial steamer. Conair makes several different models. Then use a thermometer to make sure the temp reaches 42.5 degrees celsius.

Comment

I've been using this method.
            1) Wet two square wash cloths, and squeeze out excess dripping water
            2) Fold into retangular strip - Size that allows you to bend the wash cloth and place the bent section directly on top of the eye/eye lid socket
            3) Place both wash cloths (folded rectangle strip) on a microwaveable safe dish
            4) Microwave on high until towels get hot, but not so hot that you can't place on eyes/eyelid without burning/discomfort. In my microwave its about 45 sec with two wash cloths. Adjust time as needed
            5) Take plate out of the microwave and bend each wash cloth folded rectangle strip in half length wise(Side that was up on the plate remains on the outside). The portion of the wash cloth where the bend is, place on top of your eyes.
            6) The wash cloths generally stay warm for about 5 minutes.
            7) When you feel the towels are cool on the eye, invert the towel bend. Unfold and refold it so the inside of the wash cloth strip (folded rectangle) is now on the outside. Place the bent section of the wash cloth back on eyes. You'll note the towel surface is warm/hot again. This will get you another 2.5 to 5 minutes.

Comment

Has anybody here used Thermipaq (the eye compress version)?

I got a sample a long time ago and thought it was pretty good.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2012 Aug;35(4):148-54. Epub 2012 Feb 10. The role of heat in rubbing and massage-related corneal deformation. McMonnies CW, Korb DR, Blackie CA. School of Optometry and Vision Science, University of New South Wales, Kensington 2052, Australia. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22309634
                When combined with warm compresses or other methods of heat delivery to the eye, the elevation of corneal temperature appears to explain how meibomian gland dysfunction treatment involving warm compresses and massage could induce rubbing-related deformation. Patients whose management involves iatrogenic ocular massage appear to require screening for risk of corneal deformation. Risk may be increased for patients with a concurrent habit of rubbing their eyes abnormally in response to allergic itch for example. It appears to be possible to modify ocular massage techniques to reduce the risk of corneal deformation.
                Ie be careful.
                Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

By the way Dr. Hovanesian from Harvard Eye in CA is a great dr.

Comment

Originally posted by Dog2012 View Post
                    By the way Dr. Hovanesian from Harvard Eye in CA is a great dr.
                    Have you seen him? What do you base your recommendation on? Have you done the Lipiflow treatment for MGD?

Comment

I just discover a really good product
                      http://www.amazon.com/Thermophore-St...ophore+classic

Comment

Originally posted by Dog2012 View Post
                        I just discover a really good product
                        http://www.amazon.com/Thermophore-St...ophore+classic
                        I tried to understand how it works but the site of the product doesn't explain.

Is it eletric? Is it possible to regulate the temperature?

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
                          Has anybody here used Thermipaq (the eye compress version)?

I got a sample a long time ago and thought it was pretty good.
                          Can anyone suggest some good brands of hot compress eye mask for me? I am doing hot compress twice a day using a hot towel. But it does not work well as summer, the water turns cool very fast when the weather becomes cold.
                          And I can't find the one that Rebecca introduced -the eye compress of Thermipaq

Comment

I fill a sock with rice and close it up with a rubber band. You can microwave it and use as a hot compress, it really holds the heat for quite a while. I microwave for 1 minute (do a test as not all microwaves are the same) and use it every night before bed. Then cover my eye lids with GenTeal nighttime ointment to help keep my lids sealed for the night.

Comment

haha, I don't get a microwave, so that I am not able to do it!

Comment

Working...
                              X