Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to remove eyelid crustation without hot compresses ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to remove eyelid crustation without hot compresses ?

Due to not being able to apply warm compresses to my sensitive angry eyelids I have developed rows of crows crustation on the lower eyelids with white headed pimples under the crusts.But I can't remove the with heat as my eyelids really swell up

Is there any effective way of loosening the hardened crust without warm compresses as they are getting bigger Also when I attempted to remove the crustation with a heat bag the other night I did manage to remove some of the crust and was left with red blister like pimple oozing with clear fluid and very sore lids

Also does this mean I'm developing ulcerated blepharitis?
    "Only the body can heal itself, and all healing must come from within your body."

You need to see a doctor.

Comment

Ouch, that sounds sooo painful.

I would be concerned about the possibility of ulcerated blepharitis. I can usually remove any eye lash crusts with cool water.

I would get in to see a doc soon, as you don't want to be developing secondary infections.

Comment

Wouldn't it be wise to scratch off the crusts with my nails ? Or could this cause an infection to the exposed sore skin!

Also what can do the drs do as they haven't been very helpful so far
        "Only the body can heal itself, and all healing must come from within your body."

Comment

I am sorry. . . I don't know what you have tried so far, or who you have seen.

If you have not done so already, I would check with members here from the UK for their doctor recommendations. I would find the post about 'what to look for in a dry eye doctor'. Your doctor needs to diagnose your eye issues and outline a plan of treatment. Hopefully he/she will have done a comprehensive series of eye tests, prior to coming up with a diagnosis.

If you are not pleased with the treatment you are receiving, see another doctor.

I do think you need the sores on your eyelids examined.

Comment

Originally posted by HYPERHEAD View Post
            Wouldn't it be wise to scratch off the crusts with my nails ? Or could this cause an infection to the exposed sore skin!
            You answered your own question.

Originally posted by HYPERHEAD View Post
            Also what can do the drs do as they haven't been very helpful so far
            An optician or optometrist is not who you should see. Find an ophthalmologist - and preferably someone with specific knowledge/training/experience of/in DE. See someone tomorrow.

Comment

Hi,

I have seen my local optometrist and asked her about the crusts and she said it was a skin issue ? Also my dr just told me too do the eyelid hygiene regular even though I told him the heat irritated my lids?

These crusts were much smaller before but now there more noticeable , there like cluster of skin Under the lids and I used to think they were the swollen glands..ahahahaaa!! Maybe the fluid was from the follicle glands and the sore which I exposed hasn't caused any issues and is tiny.

Comment

A doctor should be able to answer your questions about bumps, crusts, clusters of skin, swelling, etc.

Additionally, if a doctor doesn't listen to you that a certain treatment is making you worse, switch doctors.

This is not something you should be doing on your own. See a doctor - or better yet, multiple doctors. Find a good ophthalmologist and dermatologist.

Comment

I will phone my local optholomogist tomorrow morning and try get a proper diagnosis, I think the crustation has built up over the last 9 months as I don't think I was agressive enough in massaging the lid margins after heat compression.

Also I can see red sore flakes around the rims of the eyelids were the lashes are growing which must be the reason why most of my lower lashes are falling out!

Thanks for all your replies

Comment

I'm happy that you're going to find an ophthalmologist. As much as everyone here on DEZ would like to "cure" everyone's eye problems, there is no way to get proper treatment without the right doctor(s). Don't let up. Keep us posted. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks everyone..

Booking appointment ASAP as I need to get a referral letter from my gp ? Also I had a shower today and I tried to massage the crusts but there to thick to dislodge and I don't want to force them to much as I dont want to cause more problems. Funny thing is that every time I have a shower I see little clear bubbles on my eyelid margins.

Comment

Hyper,

See GP for 2 urgent referrals before you get any more damage - ophthalmology + dermatology.

You can also get urgent ophthalmology referral from a high street optometrist, eg the optometrist dijon84 was talking about.

If things get any worse, esp swelling, turn up at Emergency Eye Clinic (phone first), or A&E (just turn up and wait).

Post up to let us know how you're getting on.
                        Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Appointment with opthomologist definetly confirmed for Tuesday 3.30 pm But in the meantime I've been tryin to budge these stubborn hard yellow waxy crusts by using my fingernail after a 10 minute shower but it only seems to remove a bit of the top waxy layers , the hard yellow stuff doesn't budge? Maybe the shower ain't hot or consistent enough to melt theses crusts?

Would sterilid remove these or one kind of cream ?

Comment

I would not pick at these crusts. Now that you have an appointment with ophthalmologist just wait to see what s/he says to do about it. Picking at these crusts, especially since you said that underneath are pimple-like eruptions, seems like an invitation to infection.

Comment

Working...
                            X