Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Cold Compresses clog/solidify Meibomian glands ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Cold Compresses clog/solidify Meibomian glands ?

I usually do warm compresses but have done some cold compresses in the last few days and have felt much better. However I recently spent a mint on Lipiflow and was wondering about the effects cold has on Meibomian glands. My inner eyelids are also inflamed. Does heat make inflammation worse? I am just wondering what sort of compress regimen is best for my situation. Sorry if there is already an existing thread on this. thanks

I have never heard it suggested by a doctor that cold could interfere with the MGs. However, it would be an excellent question to pose to a dr. that does Lipiflow. I'd make a call and put it to them

Meantime re compresses:

I think of cold as a pain management tool, and heat as a therapeutic (via loosening thickened secretions) - with the caveat that some people use heat for the feelgood aspect alone without knowing what's going on with their MG secretions. Pros & cons of too much heat... heavily debated topic. Personally I think less is more. No sense trying to beat & burn those poor eyelids into submission. But then there are those individuals whose glands seem to clog at the drop of a hat.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
    X