Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are slightly warm compresses still effective?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are slightly warm compresses still effective?

I have tried several times in the past, during flare ups (of what I suspect is ocular rosacea) to use warm-hot compresses. My eyes get much worse for days after I do so.

So I've switched to ice packs, but I'm worried that I'm not helping my meibomian glands with ice. I do want to get the oil flowing, not cold and solid.

Do you think that a lukewarm (warm enough that it is warmer than my skin, but barely so) would at least be better than nothing?

Thank you for any advice.

Hi eyes78
    For me, I place a VERY warm compress on my eyes for 10 minutes, I never tried the ice or cold packs.
    slightly warm did not work for me, but I do not have flare ups. I use a pretty hot compress in the morning. I would say try it and see if when you are done after about 10 minutes, then slightly press the meibomian glands to see if oil comes out, if so...voila!

Comment

One doc described the hot compress theory to me as similar to warming up butter. So if that holds true, warm butter is easier to spread than cold butter so in that sense warmth of any amount may help. Specifically though, another doctor explained to me that in order to get the oils flowing, you want to get the temperature of the oil up to 103-104 degrees (I assume he meant Fahrenheit - I can't imagine it's healthy to boil your eye balls). If you can withstand that temperature then great. But I've seen plenty of posts from others who also have an adverse reaction to hot compresses. If it hurts or causes inflammation I'd avoid it.

Does it help at all if you try to minimize the area that you are applying the heat and try to limit contact to only the edges of your eyelids where the glands are?

Comment

Thank you both.

So are you saying (runnergirl) that you can SEE oil come out when you press on your glands?

Comment

No, I should probably look though, I would like to see it.
          However, I get up 15 min earlier than I should just to put this compress on . After 10 minutes, I take the compress off and immediately press softly on my lower lids and when I immediately blink, I feel the oil and I can see for a while after that. I have severe dry eye due to Lasik surgery years ago. I also use restasis. I put the restasis in about 10 min after that.

Comment

Moist heat, as in a shower, works best for me. Used to do the warm/hot compresses for five or ten minutes and caused more irritation. Even if you can only shower for ten minutes or so, it helps. I know it sounds excessive, especially if you need it twice daily, but that's the only answer I have right now. Steam makes a difference for me. One doctor's blog recommends cool compresses immediately after to calm down any inflammation that might result from heat.

Comment

eyes78 - The tricky thing about Dry Eye is that it is complicated - we all have different problems. Doctors make the mistake of giving out the same treatment for everyone - and we are not a "one size fits all" group of patients! Sorry to say but you will really have to pay attention to what works and what doesn't. My experience is hot compresses made my eyes worse and sent me into a yo-yo of antibiotics for about 2 years (I was very stubborn following the Dr's directions!). I finally figured out - thru this site - that I needed to try a cooler treatment AND stop the baby shampoo cleaning. It took a while but I am better than I was - I rarely need to use the antibiotics. I use luke warm water with cotton balls - then gently clean with q-tips. then cool water. I can't do soaking the eyes - I get more crazy misdirected eyelashes that way - doesn't matter if water is lukewarm - something just goes wrong when I try to soak. I don't use a washcloth on my eyes - it isn't clean enough. I can't just have water wash my eyes in the shower either - they always turn red - or should I say more red!
              Eileen

Comment

Working...
              X