Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone had The Mastrota Meibomian Gland Paddle Expression?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone had The Mastrota Meibomian Gland Paddle Expression?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RinkMHGIKO4

What do you think the effectiveness and risk of this treatment? compared to IPL and Probing?

I bought a paddle and tried it myself using my wife's make-up mirror. Very little risk...its a smooth, titanium paddle that makes expression easier for the docs. I later went through probing and found out that my MGs weren't working at all. The doctor worked hard to express oil out and came up with nothing even after the probes penetrated the obstructions. My only hope for now is to keep as much water on the eyes as possible since there's no oil. Don't give up on the expression though, not all dry eye is the same. Some have found relief.
    Last edited by Rebecca Petris; 12-May-2011, 06:50. Reason: Mastrota paddle is a regulated device NOT SAFE FOR USE BY CONSUMERS.

Comment

Hi Djb,

Is there anyway to test if my glands produce oil or not?
      You knew that your glands do not produce oil after probing, right?

Thanks

Comment

Back in 2004, I visited Dr Tseng in Miami and he performed a test of the oily layer on my tears and was able to show me that I had no oil whatsoever coming out. Several doctors since then tried to express oil out without success even after probing the MGs. I believe any good eye doc should be able to press on your MGs and look at the eye margins and see if you're getting anything out and what kind of secretions (oily/thick/nothing).

Comment

Hi Djb,
          Thank you for your reply.
          If eye docs press on my MGs and there is nothing. Does that mean my MGs not produce oil or the oil cannot come out because of the blockage?

How is doctor Tseng? Is it worth going to see him?
          I am thinking to see him as my last resort.

Comment

Dr. Tseng is a good doctor who does dry eye research. You have to remember that he does research and wants you to participate in whatever trials he is working on at that time if you qualify, which means multiple trips to Miami. I would of helped him out if I lived in that area. He's out of my insurance network also which means a lot of money spent. He was the first doctor to diagnose me with no oil and very little water production. He fully cauterized me but offer no other solution in 2004. Since then, it's been an education from a variety of docs. The doctor who did the probing said the lining inside my eyelids overgrew the openings to my MGs which made probing hard since he couldn't see the openings since they were covered. He believed (after the probing) my MGs were atrophied since they haven't worked in many years. Most docs I go to hand me a prescription for Restasis and say see ya in a few months. Restasis hasn't helped me. I haven't found a doc who could offer any other treatments other than what was mentioned except one doc who said he would refer me for the Boston scleral lens.

IPL has helped some people get their thick oil to flow again, but for how long? Probing has helped some people find relief. I don't know how long the relief last? Probing didn't help me and I believe IPL won't help either, but my dry eye is one type, there are various causes/conditions to this disease.

I would find a good doc locally to evaluate your MGs before you travel if possible. If nothing comes out it could be atrophy or blockage. Finding a doc who truly cares about you and your condition is the hardest part. They are out there. Wish you success!

Comment

Hi Djb
              Thank you so much for your suggestions.
              I really appreciate your comments.

Comment

Questions about gland expression and paddle

Hi DJB,

Thanks for your posts, although the above link you gave is broken. Anyway, I found that the paddle is sold by occusoft here; but it is for professionals which I am not sure whether I can order one without prescription.

You said you have done the expression by yourself with this paddle. I would love to do it by myself if it doesn't hurt. Thumbs up, if it's actually help. I couldn't imagine how can you do it by yourself; so I have a few questions to ask.

1. Have you found it helping you squeeze out the oil from the gland more easily or more efficient(not by a doctor)? I use normal warm compress method and finger massage to express the oil gland; but it doesn't help much. So, I think I need some tools in order to press, squeeze and enforce the blocked gland to open.
                2. How can I determine that the force is right since I assume that it is quite difficult to notice whether the oil is coming out from the gland or not. Because it is too small and we also barely see the oil even with the magnifying mirror with our own eyes, right? My doctor also tries to press it with q tips, she can see it through slit lamp, though.
                3. I think warm compress before expression would be helpful since it would help soften the clogged oil a bit.

I am struggle to find someone who can do this in my country. Thank you in advance.

Lin
                Last edited by Rebecca Petris; 12-May-2011, 06:52. Reason: MASTROTA PADDLE IS NOT A CONSUMER DEVICE!

Comment

Lin,

I would ask your doctors to purchase the tool for their offices and then let them evaluate your MGs and ask if they would express them for you. I wasted my time and money on the paddle because I didn't know how bad my MGs were. After they shoved probes into my MGs and opened the blockages, I still had no oil come out. The paddle didn't help me.

Take care,

djb

Comment

MG expression

DJB,

Thanks for your reply. Hope you find something that help. There must be something out there right? I took accutane loooong time ago, though; so I do not know whether my glands still producing oil or not. Even if, I can get the blocked oil out, to have the quality oil flow seems to be a mission impossible for most of us. That is why we still suffer with DES, am I right? I need to find out.

Thank you so much for kind information.

Lin

Comment

There's another thread about young coconut water helping dry eye. I've been drinking this for a couple of days now and I have noticed an increase in the water portion of my tears. Comfort and vision improved with the increased water production. The coconut water acts like an IV, hydrating the body with electrolytes. I've been asking my dry eye friends locally to try this out. Waiting on their response. It's not a cure, but I believe it helps.

Comment

You can use your fingers to express the thickened stuff. The technique is generally referred to as "finger rolls". It is much easier to do, than it is to describe!

Take your index finger and lay it horizontally below your eye, with the tip about in line with the outside of your pupil. Roll the finger so that it travels upwards, with very gentle pressure. Move the finger toward your nose, with the tip about in line with the center of your pupil and roll upwards. Move the finger toward your nose and roll upwards.

Repeat the above 33 times. You can do this for both eyes during a TV commercial break or at a stop light. Be gentle.

Note this works best on the lower lids because you have lots of cartilage in the upper lid that makes it much less effective.

Geed luck . . .

Comment

Here's a pic of the Mastrota paddle in action:

Comment

Working...
                          X