This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steroid Problems

I have started using steroid drops again (on docs advice) however my eyes are extremely red this morning - much more than usual.

Does this mean that I should discontinue? I am a bit worried - I though they were supposed to reduce inflammation, not induce it.

steriod drops

I was on steriod drops (Alrex) for months and months and my eyes didn't improve they were still imflammed and blood shot. I read all the warnings on the drops and I stopped using them. I figured my eyes weren't looking any better with or without the drops, and I didn't want to risk the side affects any longer. Also Alrex drops have the preservative benzalkonium chloride which is not suppose to be good for your eyes.

Check with your doctor again and tell him of your concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieD
      I have started using steroid drops again (on docs advice) however my eyes are extremely red this morning - much more than usual.

Does this mean that I should discontinue? I am a bit worried - I though they were supposed to reduce inflammation, not induce it.
      Any chance it's coincidence?

If it continues I would certainly contact the doc. Perhaps you're experiencing a sensitivity to a preservative or other ingredient indicating a switch to an alternative product? Which are you using?
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Prednisolone 0.5% - if inflammation is the problem, I cant see why they wont help.

If they dont feel or look any better within a week or so - are you better just stopping them? I mean they are supposed to act fairly quickly arent they?

Also - If you had conjunctivochalsis (not sure if I spelled that right) surely a good eye doctor would be able to pick that up wouldnt they, under the microscope or does this require a more sophisticated test? I am worried about the continued redness despite aggressive use of pres-free tears etc.

Thank you.

Comment

Sorry - I just realised I posted this is the wrong forum!

Comment

Are these steroid drops similar to the DHEA drops?
            FOR WE WALK BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT (2 Corinthians 5:7).

Comment

SusieD

Occassionally I had the same reaction to the steroid drops. I was using Dexamethasone (?? sp) which was made by Minims, it was also Preservative Free.

When I put it in my left eye, it would sting and become really red and inflammed (between my cornea and nose). This happened one morning when I was going to see the DR and he couldn't explain the reaction, but didn't seem too concerned.

He had me finish the 10 day course and I have not been on them since.

I put an ice pack on after putting the steroid in to try and found that this helped with the redness.

Sorry to hear you are not having a good time of it again, I hope you get to the bottom of this soon.

Regards

Ian

Comment

Working...
              X