This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed attempt

At the moment I'm thoroughly disgusted. I went to get blood drawn so I could take it to my compounding pharmacist who agreed today we would take on this blood serum eyedrop project. Due to my own ignorance and assumption that this wouldn't be a big deal, I expected to waltz into the lab of my choice, hand them the Rx from my doc explaining that I need to have blood drawn, it needs to be spun, and I am to walk away with two vials of my own serum.

Well, folks, it's not that simple. First of all, the woman I encountered at the lab couldn't have been more harsh with me. This was much of the problem, in addition to the fact that I had hit a wall in my quest to find even a little bit of eye comfort.

The other real problem is, quite honestly, my mood/psyche. When faced with the opportunity to try something new for my eye problems, I generally get pretty anxious. I really have to build myself up to do these things because of the possiblity of failure. In other words, if I try blood serum drops and they don't work, I have one less thing in my bag of tricks. It's easy to be excited at the notion of trying blood serum drops; it's not as easy on me to actually try them. Don't know if that makes any sense to any of you, but that's how I feel. And of course, it would have been nice had the woman at the lab been nice to me.

So by now I've called all over town and nobody can believe that I would ask to just walk out of a lab with a biohazard in my hand. It's unethical (I could give them a litany on what's unethical), against the law, we have standards, it's federally regulated...a completely impossible request. I tried the logic, "So I can walk in with it, but I can't walk out?!" But according to one woman, "This is common sense".

I know this is being done some places in the states, so my pharmacist is now calling his colleague who does this regularly to find out where I might get this blood taken. I'm still not sure if my doctor can do this in his office. I have a call in to him, but I'm doubting this is so.

If anyone has any ideas here, I would appreciate it. Thanks for listening.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Diana, I'm sorry you have encountered a glitch (*itch) or two. Maybe it's possible to do a bit of reverse engineering. Can you find out from the compounding pharmacy where they would like you to go to have blood drawn and transported directly to them? It would seem as though the pharmacy would have a protocol to follow and could pass that on to you.

I do understand the anxiety of extending yourself to try something new. Take your time. I suspect you are blazing new trails in unknown territory.
    Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

Cindy,

You are indeed correct about blazing a trail. That's just another piece of all this that is so frustrating. This dry eye thing is such a mystery...so invisible. It really is tough. Had I lost a limb or something... People know what that's all about.

On the other hand, I was so disppointed to find that people treat blood (or serum) like it's filthy, dirty, contaminated and shouldn't be trusted to anyone, not even its rightful owner. I do realize that people working with blood are very regulated no doubt it got worse when AIDS reared its ugly head. But still, I never expected this. I mean, I've transported urine and stool to be tested before. What's a little blood serum?

I've spoken with the compounding pharmacist who is a very nice man and willing to help. He has never done this, but has a colleague out of state who does it routinely and reports really, really good results. This pharmacist has gone out of his way to find out exactly how this is done. He had not anticipated this snag.

He's going to contact his friend to see how it's done there. My pain doc who really wants to see this happen doesn't draw blood in his office. He's also checking around to figure it out.

So that's that. I can't believe it, but it just may be impossible for me to proceed with this.

Comment

Hope you are doing a little better

Dianat: I am sorry to hear of you personal ordeal with dry eyes, the anxiety, the pain, the frustration, etc. I totally relate. Last week I felt like I was about to go crazy and of course, people that are not aflicted with this condition do not understand. I also understand how anxious you feel about trying a new medication. I really admire you because I have totally stopped trying anything new. The onlything I am using is Theratears and lid scrubs and my googles. The discomfort has been so bad that I totally forgot about "looks", and I guess people around me have gotten used to me and my googles. I never taught that I was vain in anyway, but let me tell you that if I was, now I really could care less, the onlything I want is relief!!!

In addition to my sickness, my boyfriend couldn't handle it anymore and left me!!! So now I feel sick and lonely!! My only hope is my God!!!

Remember that you are in my most sincere prayers, I know that God will not desert us.

Love,

Jessica

Comment

Jessica,

I am keeping the faith, not to worry. I also feel a stong sense of peace when I consider that God is "holding my hand" through all this. I also think today (and especially when I get passed all this) I'll am/will be a much better person for it. Human suffering gives one a whole new perspective.

I've contacted on of my dry eye docs who is pretty far away, and he has the capabilities of making my serum drops. I am relieved to finally know this, and am a little bit suprised by it. I haven't seen him since this summer.

He has said, however, that he has no idea whether it will help a post-LASIK dry eye patient. (Ya know, for once I'd like to get some good news...) But, I'm going to give it a try and get down there to see him. Something has to change for me. For all of us...

Comment

Please keep us in the loop, Diana. Will be praying for you...

Comment

Diana, it's too bad you are having such trouble. You live in a large metro area too! If I asked someone about this around where I live they would commit me! That is unless they knew about dry eyes!

Jessica--Don't feel too bad about not wearing make-up. It just isn't worth it sometimes. I've never worn eye make-up. Prior to lasik, I always had thick glasses and it didn't make sense. Since lasik, I've had no desire to get make-up in my eyes, although I was looking forward to wearing it for the first time in my (long) life! Since my latest surgery, I'm not working and I don't even use any make up. Not like me at all. As you say, the only thing you care about is making the pain go away. I'll be thinking about you.

Lucy
              Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
              X