Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone heard about chloroquine phosphate eye drops?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone heard about chloroquine phosphate eye drops?

Hello to all,
    I was wondering if anyone could confirm whether cyclosporine eye drops is the equivalent of chloroquine phosphate eye drops in terms of their therapeutic consequences?

I have been prescribed chloroquine phosphate eye drops twice daily on both eyes to be continued for at least three months. The doctor said it's the same as restasis but I couldn't find detailed info on the web about the same.

Has anyone heard of it?

​​

Restasis is cyclosporine; chloroquine phosphate is chloroquine phosphate.

Chloroquine Phosphate is the phosphate salt of chloroquine, a quinoline compound with antimalarial and anti-inflammatory properties. Chloroquine is the most widely used drug against malaria, except for those cases caused by chloroquine resistant Plasmodium falciparum. Although the mechanism of action is not fully understood, chloroquine is shown to inhibit the parasitic enzyme heme polymerase that converts the toxic heme into non-toxic hemazoin, thereby resulting in the accumulation of toxic heme within the parasite. Chloroquine may also interfere with the biosynthesis of nucleic acids.

I would get a new doctor if they say its the same as restasis...

Comment

Originally posted by deep_dry_eye View Post
      Restasis is cyclosporine; chloroquine phosphate is chloroquine phosphate.

Chloroquine Phosphate is the phosphate salt of chloroquine, a quinoline compound with antimalarial and anti-inflammatory properties. Chloroquine is the most widely used drug against malaria, except for those cases caused by chloroquine resistant Plasmodium falciparum. Although the mechanism of action is not fully understood, chloroquine is shown to inhibit the parasitic enzyme heme polymerase that converts the toxic heme into non-toxic hemazoin, thereby resulting in the accumulation of toxic heme within the parasite. Chloroquine may also interfere with the biosynthesis of nucleic acids.

I would get a new doctor if they say its the same as restasis...
      Well I knew it's an anti malarial drug. But the doctor said it's having a "similar effect" to the eyes as cyclosporine.Your info doesn't mention anything about the use or effect of chloroquine phosphate drops on eyes.

I am more interested to find scientific literature that documents the effect of chloroquine phosphate on the lacrimal or meibomian glands or the ocular surface in general.

Comment

I've never heard of chloroquine phosphate being used for dry eyes... but that's not to say its not helpful. What country are you in? The more conventional drugs are Restasis. Xiidra and Azithromycin.

Comment

Originally posted by deep_dry_eye View Post
          I've never heard of chloroquine phosphate being used for dry eyes... but that's not to say its not helpful. What country are you in? The more conventional drugs are Restasis. Xiidra and Azithromycin.
          I am from India. I have used azithromycin ointment for a month with doxycycline tablets for a month in combination. My condition improved but it's not improved much.

Comment

Originally posted by Milo007 View Post

I am from India. I have used azithromycin ointment for a month with doxycycline tablets for a month in combination. My condition improved but it's not improved much.
            Since you improved, I would suggest you to continue it. I would recommend 40mg doxy daily, and azithromycin ointment daily as well.

Comment

Working...
            X