This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testosterone Eyelid Cream Experience

Hello! I'm a 24 y/o male with dry eye resulting, what I believe, from the use of Accutane many years ago. I believe my condition is mostly evaporative due to decreased output from meibomian glands due to the way Accutane works on the sebaceous glands.

I read a lof of Dr. David Sullivan's and Dr. Connor's work regarding androgens and how they are integral to keeping the eyes moist. So, I had my testosterone levels checked and they came in at 450, which is in the middle of the normal range. Well, I heard about some peoples' success with testosterone cream applied topically to the eyelids, so I worked hard to find a doctor who would be willing to get me the cream. I obtained the cream and was excited to try it; However, I've been using it for about 4 days now and just last night decided to stop. It didn't seem to be providing any relief, which I'm not surprised about because I am not androgen deficient, and I'm male. I felt a very light/dull sort of pressure behind/around my eyes, as though the cream was doing something, but nothing that was aiding my dryness and burning/irritation. It was almost as though my eyes were fatigued or becoming lazy. I'm really not sure how to decribe it. Perhaps I didn't give the cream nearly long enough, but what I've read from those who experienced benefit, they reported almost immediate results within somewhere like a 24 hour time frame. This is why I decided to stop the cream, because I didn't receive a noticeable change within the short period of time, most likely because I don't lack testosterone.

Well, at any rate, I stopped using it last night and this morning woke up to better eyes that don't seem to be as irritated. If anything, I'd say the cream was only causing me more discomfort than beneficial symptom relief. When I initially began using it, I think I got it actually in my eyes and this certainly began to produce irritated eyes for me, so after the first morning I began applying it under my eyebrow and around my checkbone and upper cheek.

I just wanted to share my experience for those interested in this treatment option. Thanks and take care and keep hope everyone!
    Jason

"We should not be looking for answers to the diseases we suffer from today, but why many peoples in the world don't get them at all."

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm curious: Did the doctor prescribing this for you give you any guidance on how long to take it?
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

I agree

I agree with your original post. 4 days really isn't enough time. Perhaps the improvement I noticed this morning is attributable to the previous days I've been using the cream, which is why I have decided at lunch time today to continue using the cream.

To answer your question, no, the doctor that prescribed the cream for me did not specify any minimal duration. To explain, I obtained the prescription from a non-eye doctor, but a general practitioner because I informed him I was interested in trying this treatment based on information I provided from Dr. Charles Connor's use of the cream at the Southern College of Optometry. In a sense I'm sort of acting as my own doctor since my Ophthalmologists will not go down this treatment avenue with me. So, being desparate for relief, I approached a different doctor because I want to see if this could work for me or not.

I corresponded with Dr. Gemoules (DrG) and he offered his opinion that being 24 years old and not androgen deficient, there was no need for me to treat with exogeneous testosterone cream.

But, because I went through quite a lot of work to obtain the cream, I will continue using it for a while to determine if I observe any moderate to long-term benefits.

How long would anyone think would be a good time frame for evaluation? Any educated suggestions?
      Last edited by AccutaneJay; 10-Nov-2006, 15:19.
      Jason

"We should not be looking for answers to the diseases we suffer from today, but why many peoples in the world don't get them at all."

Comment

Jay,

How will you know whether any improvements you experience are the result of the active ingredient, testosterone, or just the lipids in the ointment seeping into the eye?

Comment

Not certain

Thanks for your question, DrG. To answer: I won't. Are you suggesting that there are lipids/oils in the cream? I was not aware of this. If so, are you also suggesting that it (lipids) could be absorbed and make its way to my eye and into my tear film, just as the testosterone is? I just want to emphasize that I do not apply the cream directly to my eyelids in order to refrain from the cream coming in direct contact with my eyes, as I beleive this irritated them after some of my initial applications. I now apply it directly under my eyebbrow and around my cheek-bone and upper cheek.

I am also using Refresh Endura (which contains oil, but have not seen a significant benefit as of yet), TheraTears, rice baggy warm compresses, caffeine (has a noticeable secretagogue affect for me), 6 grams of fish oil/day, and have just recently purchased a simple eye mask and modified it by filling it with a bit of rice to help it form around my eyes to help keep them protected at night (and possibly closed if I might have slight partial closure). I'm thinkng about purchasing a pair of Tranquileyes, but will see how my rice mask works for a while. My right eye is always noticeably worse than my left, and I've noticed the opening and closing of that eyelid is slightly different when compared to that of my left eye. I recall my mother saying that when I was younger, she would notice me sleeping with my eyes (perhaps "slightly) oepn, but I don't seem to notice it myself ever. I'm wondering if now when I'm in deep sleep they become slightly open and are allowing for evaporation and an imflammatory response to be created. Whoops, I'm going on at length about subjects for different threads
          Jason

Comment

Sure. All creams have lipids in them. They are simply emulsions of oil and water with other additives. Try a search on white petrolatum for dry eye. With so many different treatments, your experiment is confounded.

Comment

DrG- Question??

So this article says that pure petroleum jelly will actually help the dry eye situation? Correct? The study was done with Calcium ointment. Why Calcium ointment and where can Calcium ointment be obtained? I have Sjogrens dry eyes that are severe and would be willing to give this a try.

Billye

Comment

From the Abstract of the article:
                CONCLUSION: Petrolatum based calcium ointment significantly improved symptoms, tear dynamics, and ocular surface staining in dry eye patients. However, some of the therapeutic effects may be due to lipids in the petrolatum vehicle. Petrolatum applied to the lower lid skin is an effective drug delivery system for slowly releasing drugs to the ocular surface.

I'm not sure if there are any other similar citations in the literature.

Comment

There is another article regarding this:

http://bjo.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/83/7/767

Not sure where you would get this ointment though, you will likely get a blank look from your doc if you ask about it.

Comment

Related article

These look like they are directly related to each other. I did a search on Dr. Donald MacKeen and came up with this:

http://dry.org/deo.html

But it doesn't say when this is being conducted. I'm not able to go any futher at this time because of my trip to Mayo, but someone else might be able to find out about the study.

Billye

Comment

Working...
                    X