Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plug removal

Hi all,

I am fully ocluded left and right (4 full plugs). However, I am thinking of getting one of the plugs removed from my left eye only as it tears quite a bit when outside etc. As it is my right eye only that has the lacrimal dysfunction I feel it's not benefical in my left eye.......

In fact, I think it's making things worse as I do get a bit red and inflammed from time to time in my left eye......I believe because the tears are harbouring germs etc, i.e. not getting flushed/renewed continously.

It's SmartPlugs that I have top and bottom.

My question is.....is it generally agreed that plugs can be removed, i.e. flushed out. I got one replaced in my right eye but the feeling I got from my private doc was that maybe he hadn't flushed too many out in the past and although he did manage successfully the thought I got was that it was hit or miss, or maybe just hard to do?
    He also said that upper plugs couldn't be removed!

2nd question, I have an NHS hospital appointment next week at (Aberdeen Dry Eye Clinic) and wondered if the NHS can remove it for me........Because I don't have too much respect for their knowledge I'm thinking they might just say to me...."sorry, once they are in , they are in.".

Ian.

Ian,
    Theoretically the Smart Plug can be irrigated out. This seems a simple procedure but as your doc suggested there are possible areas where the plug could "hang up". The lacrimal sac is the primary obstacle to irrigating something through the lacrimal system. Unfortunately there is not an easier or more reliable method than irrigation.

Comment

Working...
    X