This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting ikervis on the nhs

How hard is it in the UK to get this on prescription? I have had lower plugs inserted privately but mg eyes and still causing me a lot of pain.

I am aqueous deficient. Have a tear break up time of 12 seconds. But low tear production schirmers test score of 2.5mm in the left eye 8mm in the right. My eyes do limit my a lot due to pain and poor vision due to dryness.

Comment

After I had already tried other treatments like plugs, artificial tears, ointments, steroid drops, antibiotic drops I was given Ikervis to try. I think if you can show that you already tried everything else they will be likely to prescribe it, may need to be requested by a consultant e.g opthalmologist. You can see NICE guidelines for prescribing Ikervis here:

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ta369
      Sufferer due to Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis.

Comment

I have tried plugs lower ones. Artificial tears and ointments. Not steroid drops though. Thanks I will read the link you sent me. One problem is though all my treatment so far has been private. I couldn't wait any longer for my gp to refer me.

Comment

HAve been on ikervis for nearly two months and have noticed no difference. Any one else having success with this treatment. I read on the net it is only effective with 15 percent of users. Not good odds

Comment

Is that honestly it 15 percent of users have a positive result on it?

Comment

It was just what one site had written about it

Comment

Hope it's not only 15%! Like Claddagh, I've been on it now for just about 2 months. Not sure if there's any improvement. My opthalmologist said it could take longer than 2 months to work - sometimes at least 6, so they want me to keep taking it for now. I'm willing to keep going in the hope it will do something.

I get it on the NHS. Originally prescribed by a private opthalmologist. I think like PhoenixEyes says they (both NHS and private in my experience) want you to have tried other things first. Think my ophalmologist mainly prescribed it because of inflammation (my corneas were badly inflammed). My TBUT is 0-1 in the worse eye and 3-4 in the other.

If you've already tried plugs, ointments, and drops, they might be willing to prescribe it. Or they might want you to try something like doxycyline first. Always worth asking for it and seeing what they say. Steroid drops are usually only temporary because of risks, i.e. raised eye pressure. They helped me but I was only able to use them for a month - opth doesn't want to prescribe for longer because I got raised eye pressure (I'd had it before and now have it again).

Comment

I have finally got an NHS referral from my gp. Though not till the end of February, due to the waiting list. I will ask about the ikervis. I don't think I have inflammation just really low tear production 2mm on schrimers. This last cold snap in the UK my eyes were terribly painful.Think an opthalmologist possibly need to see inflammation to get this prescribed?
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                  X